NDIS Review & Core Support

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Winging it Mum

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

I had a NDIS review for DS12 on Friday. It certainly is an odd process & sometimes the questions seem like they just tick a box depending on your answer. It was frustrating, I had to make sure I got my points across - you didn't feel like you were asked for your thoughts.

Anyway, last year was the first year we had Core Support given and TBH the person that rang & gave us the plan details was a bit useless last year & weren't very helpful with letting us know what sort of things we could do. So fast forward, we found a support worker, two groups run for kids with disabilities and some overnight stays with another agency. All seemed well aimed towards his goals which were pretty broad.

So I have all the therapists reports for the other section but of course nothing really to support him for the core area of the plan. I'm disappointed that it at times doesn't feel clear and I had asked a few questions of the NDIS previously but it just all falls in a deep dark hole. Anyway so hopefully I get a letter to help from the place where he has the overnight stays and I've put together a document for each area and what I expect we would need and how it fitted in with his goals.

What have others done to "prove" the needs? I'm peeved more with myself than anyone, I'm worried that we'll lose funds now because I wasn't prepared enough. Which in turn will devastate DS12 if there's a couple of the groups he can't attend. Argh.

#2 PurpleWitch

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:33 AM

Do you self manage? And are you able to get a support co-ordinator to help you navigate this stuff?

#3 Winging it Mum

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

Self managed here. It'll be interesting I guess to see what they do for the Core side. Initially I was like, what do I do with all that, but now that we've been able to use it & I can see how it benefits him, I'll just be disappointed if it reduces a lot or he loses it.

I was able to get a letter from one place that I hoped helped but you can never tell. There's still a month left on his plan so will wait and see.

I know if he gets funding for Core, then I will be ready for it next year!

#4 SelceLisbeth

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

My impression from my boys reviews last week was that reducing the core budget is the current initiative. That said, a lot of what used to be in the core budget can be now allocated to daily living skills and I can’t remember the name of the other area, but it seems to me that core budget is the current whipping boy. I hope you get a good result.

#5 blimkybill

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

It's not really expected that Core supports providers give reports, they aren't funded to do it like therapists are. Ideally your therapists should make some comments about the value of the various core supports you have used.
But the main thing is that you have found something that helps your child. You can be the one who says, this is good for him, this helps him in this way, this helps him meet this goal. You could just say it in the meeting or you could write your own report.
I agree many review meetings feel like weird box ticking exercises.  They have a lot of stupid questionnaires to go through.  But it's ok to say, I want to speak, I want to tell you this. And I have found, if there's a service which has been a success for you, and you can articulate how it helps him meet his goals, that gives you a good chance of keeping it. And you can suggest a goal closely linked to the service you love/want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.