Gluten Free grated cheese

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 123tree

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

I know this sounds strange but I am making a lasagna for a celiac and the bag of coles grated tasty cheese has a caking agent in it.  So how do I know if there is gluten in the anti-caking agent.  

How do I know if something is gluten free without it saying?

(I did buy gluten free lasagna sheets and I checked with the pasta sauce).

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

Easier to buy a block of cheese that is gluten free and grate it yourself.

#3 SplashingRainbows

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

Wheat and gluten must be disclosed if they are used in the anti caking agent. If they are not listed you are fine.

I’m a coeliac of 10+ yrs.

ETA here is how you know
https://www.coeliac....au/gluten-free/

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 12 February 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#4 SplashingRainbows

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

Oh and just in case no one has told you, you’ll need to cook the lasagne *at least* 30 minutes in the oven for the sheets to soften if they’re dried ones. Learned that the hard way ....

#5 123tree

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

Thank you so much.  I really don't know that much about gluten or being a celiac even though it is common. :ph34r:

Splashing Rainbows I actually got the gluten free lasagna sheets do i really need to cook it that long?

#6 Jenflea

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

Can you soften the dried sheets in hot water first?

#7 123tree

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

Jenflea, on 12 February 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

Can you soften the dried sheets in hot water first?

Yes I could.  The label says cook for 45 minutes so if Splashing Rainbows says so I will do so.  However I hadn't read that bit until SR suggested it.

It is to take away for a dinner on a weekend away.  It wouldn't be much of fun weekend if she has a tummy upset.  

I hate cooking for others.  I would hate for her (or anyone) to feel repercussions of my poor cooking.  I try to understand this stuff but I am really hopeless at cooking let alone extra stuff being in the mix.  I don't want to be the person who stuffs things up.

#8 SplashingRainbows

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:09 AM

Yeah the sheets are super hard and need a long cook time to soften - sorry!

I am sure she will appreciate the effort you have gone to.

#9 Serinitynow

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:44 AM

Gluten free lasagne sheets never work for me (apart from when you could get the Latina fresh which sadly they don’t make anymore). It’s always inedibly bad and I don’t try anymore. Perhaps make it with a good brand of gf pasta as a bake instead?

I would grate fresh cheese. However I have used a bag one once with no gluten issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.