First year of High School 2020

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:13 AM

A bit early probably but at least in our area the open days are coming up so I thought might be a good time to start one?

#2 Octopodes

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

I'm in. DS starts high school next year.

I am trying to stop myself stressing out too much and triggering an anxiety attack over having NFI over where he is going to school.

He is sitting the selective high school test next month, but we won't get results for ages.

I didn't grow up in NSW and so have no idea about applying to out of zone schools etc and am feeling a little overwhelmed.

I like to be super organised, this does not feel organised.

Edited by Octopodes, 13 February 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

We got an 'expression of interest form' (DS is in Y6 in NSW public) in the last couple of days, we can't get the reason out of him as to why but he '1000000000000000%' wants to go to the school we are in the catchment for.

We are fine with the decision as we have had good reports about the school and will go to the open day soon, we have offered to take him to all the ones in the area if he wants to compare (we have heaps of schools around us) but he only wants that one.

We are fine with this

OK WHERE I AM HEADING is as in NSW for public the expression of interest is only 1 page to fill out and sign if your child only wants to go the 'local' high school.

You can nominate further schools on the form so there will be more pages to complete.

Then once that goes in the high school selected will send you the actual enrollment forms.

So for us it will be straight forward

sorry it was so long winded

#4 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:01 AM

Not sure if for selective schools but the link the NSW form we filled out is

https://education.ns...ment-School.pdf

#5 Octopodes

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info and link, seayork. We've had no forms home yet. Meet the teacher night is next week, I assume a lot of the process will be outlined by the primary school then.

The selective high school application is long done, he just needs to sit the test and wait for results. I am more worried about organising back ups for if he doesn't get in.

Our local zoned school is ok, but only goes to Year 10. We're considering it our last option, with out of area schools with good G&T programs being the next preferred option.

#6 EPZ

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

We are 2020 for DS.

He has an awesome grade 6 teacher, so feel very lucky!!

His year level are all very spread out with HS. A lot dodging local due to current feedback.

#7 Manicmum

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:06 PM

I’m in x2!

#8 amdirel

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

Yes my DS2 will be going in 2020. Then I will finally be rid of primary school, woohoo!!
DS is going to sit the selective high school test, I'm not overly confident he'll get in as we don't do tutoring, but even if he does get in, he has poorly controlled anxiety atm so I don't think he'd cope well in that environment. The peer group would be fabulous though. DS1 has made the best nerd-friends there.

So we'll go for the open night at DD's school, and he can sit the test for their G&T class. If not, he can just go there anyway, he's happy enough to go there, as they can do marine as an elective and go to the barrier reef lol, which is his passion. He should be fine to get in out of area as he has a sibling there.

#9 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

DS2 will be high school next year. I am still in denial he is in grade 6 at present and not even ready to think about grade 7.

Luckily DS1 is 2 years older so we did Grade 7 start just over 12m ago so still remember that and was very pleasantly surprised how well it went. DS1 took to high school like a duck to water and I have hopes DS2 will do similar.

Luckily the kids are now at a P-12 school so they just move campus and get more classmates.

#10 Octopodes

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

View Postamdirel, on 14 February 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

Yes my DS2 will be going in 2020. Then I will finally be rid of primary school, woohoo!!
DS is going to sit the selective high school test, I'm not overly confident he'll get in as we don't do tutoring, but even if he does get in, he has poorly controlled anxiety atm so I don't think he'd cope well in that environment. The peer group would be fabulous though. DS1 has made the best nerd-friends there.

So we'll go for the open night at DD's school, and he can sit the test for their G&T class. If not, he can just go there anyway, he's happy enough to go there, as they can do marine as an elective and go to the barrier reef lol, which is his passion. He should be fine to get in out of area as he has a sibling there.
Regarding the selective high school test, we haven't done any tutoring, just the practice tests off the website so that DS knows what to expect. He's found the practice tests pretty easy, the time frame might be what gets him.

I get the anxiety thing, DS is a complex kid (ASD+anxiety+gifted). I was really undecided about the selective high school thing because he is not used to competition. He has cruised through primary school with the second best kid in his year level still well behind him. That will obviously change if he gets into a selective high school and I worry about it flaring up his anxiety.He wants to give it a go though, so I've been supportive but not pushy.

Good luck to your son!

#11 seayork2002

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

DH and I are just about coping with the idea of the baby starting high school next year until DH went and spoilt it by mentioning DS will be a teenager next year

I have never seen 2 drain of colour as fast

#12 casper1675

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

My DD will be in high school next year and I'm trying not to freak out!

we're not 100% sure where she's going yet, but the two options are an all girls school that's close. or a better school that's further away, and currently huge (It has over 1000 kids at the moment, I'm in Tassie, that seems huge to me)

At the moment we're leaning to the further away school, which will involve a bus there and back. BUT my work place in on the bus line, so she can always come into work at 6:30 am with me.

How far will your kids have to commute?

#13 seayork2002

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

We rent but are looking to buy (mind you have been saying this for years) but at the moment he could walk to school about 1km but there are lots of school buses.

If we buy it will be either a walk or one bus ride away - as it turns out we are in the catchment of a very good school (this was not planned when we moved here) so unless anything dramatic happens we wont move far.

He has 1200 or so there I think and not my preference but all the other things we have heard out weigh it (as much as we can tell without him starting yet that is)

#14 amdirel

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

The selective school is a 7 minute walk.
The mainstream school is a 10 min bus ride.

#15 tassiekiwi

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

DD is torn as to which school she wants to go to. the local public school that her BFF will be going to or a catholic school with better subject choices. Both are on the same school bus, you just get off at the right school.
The catholic school has their info night coming up so I had better put her name down as interested soon.
Both schools are small with 500-600 students. public is grade7-10 (which means changing to the local college for 11 and 12) and catholic is 7-12.
I think she is excited about HS, primary school work is getting a bit easy for her.

#16 Octopodes

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

Unless he ends up at the local high school (1km away), DS will have a 30-60 minute commute each way. All of the selective high schools in our area are inconveniently located for public transport, but thems the breaks. It might improve a bit once the Metro opens.

#17 Octopodes

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:37 AM

So after a week full of high school open nights we have the back up schools (for if DS doesn't get a selective spot) sorted. The schools we thought we'd apply to are not the schools we're applying to. The schools we felt were weaker, turned out to be the stronger schools. It's so easy to get caught up in the reputation of a school and form an opinion based on that. In our experience it turned out that the 'amazing' school in the area is really not the right school for DS.

#18 dadwasathome

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:11 AM

I'd forgotten DS11 starts high school next year. He'll sit the selective test and we'll see how he goes. DP is doing the local high school information night with him tonight (I did it last year) and he's happy to go, but doesn't have any strong link to its fine arts speciality.

He wants to go coed (which I support), but his friends who he works well with academically don't seem to be choosing that school. His brother is at a local selective and he'd like to go there, but doesn't have the same academic focus.

He's poo-pooed auditioning for the performing arts high school, and also a mid-range pricate school which he already knows people at.

So, selective test in a couple of weeks and we'll see.....

#19 Lees75

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

DD12 will start yr 8 next year, which is first year high school in SA (although not for much longer!)

She thought about sitting for a language scholarship, but has decided to go to the private Christian high school her brother goes to, as he loves it and she hears great stories from him.

She is totally ready!

#20 seayork2002

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

I went to an high school enrollment info afternoon yesterday at DS's primary, I wanted to go even though he is only going the local catchment school.

so the 'expression of interest' has gone in so now just waiting for the enrollment forms and open day is there next week.

#21 Kreme

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:17 AM

I’m in, for the second year in a row! DD just started year 7 and DS is in year 6.

We feel a little more under control due to the recent experience, but at the same time not. DD has started at a selective school and loves it, but we also had a backup of a local girls school G&T class. There is no equivalent boys’ school so DS’s option would be G&T class at our catchment coed school. We were already dubious about it and then my niece started there and hates it, so we are concerned.

There’s not a lot else around to choose from as most public schools have tightly controlled catchments.

I put in an application to a new ‘alternative’ public school but I’m really not confident it would be a good fit for DS, plus the waiting list is huge.

Very much looking forward to the time when decision has been made and we can stop worrying about it.

#22 dadwasathome

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for reminding about the G&T classes at local schools (where they have them). If the local school is the right choice for DS, we'll be looking at that too.

#23 Kreme

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:07 AM

View Postdadwasathome, on 27 February 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Thanks for reminding about the G&T classes at local schools (where they have them). If the local school is the right choice for DS, we'll be looking at that too.

You might need to be quick! Every school runs it differently, but applications for the G&T class at our local high school close next week and the test is a couple of days after the selective test.

Edited by Kreme, 27 February 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#24 dadwasathome

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostKreme, on 27 February 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

You might need to be quick! Every school runs it differently, but applications for the G&T class at our local high school close next week and the test is a couple of days after the selective test.

Info night at the school is tonight, so we'll be onto it.

#25 Octopodes

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

G&T applications all need to be in the week of the selective high school test around here. DS's are done, I just need to find time to get them into the schools and pay the fees.

One test is scheduled for the morning of state election day, interesting choice by the school.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.