Daycare for 2 Children! How will I do it?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 sro

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:06 AM

Aren't u all a supportive bunch! I actually feel so much better about this now. I do feel like I would err on the side of working and building my skills and super. Things change v quickly where I work and after 11 months mat leave the last time, I couldn't believe the things that had been changed and introduced. Yes, the numbers are right for good start unfortunately. We still get a rebate but not a huge amount

#27 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

I personally took as much maternity leave as possible. Then went back to work around 12mo. Because my age gaps are 2yrs apart, I didn't have long with 2 sets of fees, because the older one was off to Kindy.
We also staggered our work, both doing 4 days, over 6 days with Sundays off meant only 2 days of daycare a week.

#28 mayahlb

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

As others said, I would be looking at it being split between your husband and yourself cost wise. The continuing contributions to super and keeping your skills up can't be discounted, it will make things much easier further along in the future.

As for my family. Literally every cent I got paid went straight to daycare with 2 in care. We had already had them in care though because I was studying (I got made redundant when my youngest was 6 months and I didn't return to work until he was 2.5), so it wasn't anything different for our budget. If you are coping ok now with FT work and kids in daycare I think your will likely handle it ok with 2.

As for fees, Riversong, um the daycare's here charges you $150 before rebates. And I don't live in a metropolitan area. My friend in Brisbane has a cheaper daycare then us. I can easily imagine it costing $1000/week.

Oh and school has been much harder to handle as a working mum then daycare.

#29 Hands Up

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

River song we pay $300 per day for daycare for 2 kids. How long has it been since you used daycare?

#30 Mands09

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:14 PM

View PostHands Up, on 19 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

River song we pay $300 per day for daycare for 2 kids. How long has it been since you used daycare?

This is what my friend was looking at paying this year for her two before her DH was able to arrange flexible work to work from home and Flexi a day off. It’s ridiculous.

#31 ekbaby

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

What is the base price of your daycare per day ? I know city areas are more expensive but mine are at a good start and it’s $101/day. Making it less than $50/day after rebate per child. I know some private centres in the city are $200/day but I thought goodstart was still cheaper than that, more like $140/day

#32 Hands Up

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

We pay $155 for one child and $145 for the other....

Down the road they are charging $170 for the preschool room. A friend of mine sends her child there.

This is 20ks out of Sydney cbd.

Edited by Hands Up, 19 February 2019 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.