Weaning Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Noodlez

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:00 PM

So my DD 16mths is a complete boob monster. During the week she is at daycare so it’s not too bad but as soon as she gets home she will scream until she is breastfed. She is constantly on and off. I’ve been sick over this weekend and yesterday and it felt like she was constantly feeding. I think she is a huge comfort feeder. I wouldn’t mind continuing for a bit longer but not to the extent she is demanding.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I should start cutting it down? I know distraction is key but wondering how hard it’s going to be.

#2 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:39 PM

My youngest gave up by herself 4 days before her 2nd birthday. She was only on early morning and last at night feed by that stage. Distraction was a huge part of our day (she was home with me fulltime)

#3 Kattikat

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

Following responses with interest: my 18mo DD is the same except I'm home full time so she comfort sucks full time! She was up 4 times last night just to have a little go... Not much milk came out mind you. And when she hurts herself. Or when she is feeling bored. Or when I'm in a low cut top. OVER IT. My son weaned himself cold turkey at 11 months with absolutely no input from me so I'm in unchartered territory now. I'm starting to get the feeling of revulsion to feeding that I've read about, I'm so sick of it.

#4 Jenflea

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

It took me a LONG time to fully wean DD.

I started with night weaning (did that over Christmas when DH had a week off so he did all her night wakings) then slowly cut down during the day.

My tips:

Wear a dress or clothing they can't get easy access to your boobs in.
Distract, distract, distract.
Dont' sit down in the usual feeding spots
Offer any other drink, chocolate milk if you need to, to replace the feed. You can always cut down on that later.
Don't offer, but don't refuse can help too.
Lots of cuddles
Talk about them being a Big Kid during the day in the lead up to weaning, buy them a special cup. '
Get a water bottle or spill proof sippy cup for the cot/bed(I used the take and Toss cups, they were great).

I dropped the morning feed last, she needed that comfort suck in the morning I guess.

All of this took MONTHS so it wasn't a quick fix by any means.

She's now 8 and still loves to pat my boobs sometimes and talk about feeding.

#5 Mooples

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm following along too. Ds is 13 months and I have stopped feeding during the day but he's gone back to waking up to 8 times a night looking for a little feed. Absolute comfort feeding but he gets hysterical so to keep the house quiet for everyone else and to allow me to get some sleep I just feed him straight away. I'm so over it.

#6 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

What ended up working for DS was lots and lots of talk and books about “night-time=sleep-time”  and wearing a thick fisherman’s jumper at night.   Some mornings we got up at 4 and turned on the lights and he got a BF but I told him it was “morning”.  

Once I got rid of the overnight feeds, he was still having morning and bedtime.  But he was too busy for feeds thought the day.    I think at that point my milk changed because he complained, hit me and cried.   It tasted salty and he stopped being interested.

#7 Noodlez

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

View PostJenflea, on 19 February 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

My tips:

Wear a dress or clothing they can't get easy access to your boobs in.
Distract, distract, distract.
Dont' sit down in the usual feeding spots
Offer any other drink, chocolate milk if you need to, to replace the feed. You can always cut down on that later.
Don't offer, but don't refuse can help too.
Lots of cuddles
Talk about them being a Big Kid during the day in the lead up to weaning, buy them a special cup. '
Get a water bottle or spill proof sippy cup for the cot/bed(I used the take and Toss cups, they were great).

Thank you! Especially about not sitting in usual feeding spots I never thought of that one. We feed on the couch and I think every time I sit she thinks it’s boob time.

#8 Lou-bags

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostNoodlez, on 21 February 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

Thank you! Especially about not sitting in usual feeding spots I never thought of that one. We feed on the couch and I think every time I sit she thinks it’s boob time.

This was DS1 and me lying down (he fed through the night until I cracked and night weaned at 21mo). I remember trying a bed out in a bed shop and him yelling ‘milkies’ and trying to climb up to get to me 🙊

I think the ABA page has some good tips to add to what has been mentioned above. You could also call the helpline, many/most of the counselors will have experienced weaning a toddler.

I found offering water and food if I thought they were hungry, distraction, defined times and places to feed and also just calmly accepting angry and sad responses to ‘no, not now’ was key.

It was much easier to cut down once night weaning was done. In fact both DSs weaned on their own with no fuss after I stopped feeding them at night. DS1 was 27mo (6mo post night weaning) and DS2 was 25mo (about 2-3mo post night weaning IIRC).

Good luck!

#9 Caribou

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

My DS had no plans to stop At 20mths. I had to go cold turkey. I tried all the gentle weaning he wasn’t having a bat of it. So I had to just close the bar. 2 nights of crying from him and me and lots of hugs! By 3rd night he was fine with it. I did replace the boob with a bottle of warm milk though, but he wanted a top up. I had to say no repeatedly. He’s 22 months and he’s just the same happy boy he was breast fed.

I won’t deny I cried so hard having to stop. I wanted to stop but I hated what I had to do to get there. It’s not what I would have liked but having tried gentle methods, it was the only way for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.