Perth Maternity Hospital - Weight cut off?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Natx3

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

Wondering if anyone can help me with info.  I know that most public hospitals make you go to King Edward if your overweight, but I was wondering about the private hospitals?  I want to be able to go to a private hospital close to me as I had my second baby at King Edward and really want to avoid going there again. But have no idea if it will be the same with weight cut off in the private hospitals.

Thanks

#2 melanieb530

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:47 PM

Probably best to ring the individual hospital or particular obstetrician you’re interested in attending/using and check. Have heard that under 120kg and BMI 35 or less should be fine.

#3 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

I have never ever heard of having to go to a certain hospital if you are overweight?

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 21 February 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

I have never ever heard of having to go to a certain hospital if you are overweight?

Many smaller hospitals do not have the expertise immediately at hand for any higher risk births.  Not due to weight, but if I'd given birth naturally, it could only be at a major public hospital.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:37 PM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 21 February 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

We have several smaller public and private hospitals in our area who will not take women with high BMI so it is quite common that they will have to book into a tertiary hospital with better facilities.

I know it seems tough but it is only because of the higher risks for mum and baby associated and the inability of smaller hospitals to deal with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.