At a loss

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rockwiz

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:42 PM

It’s been a horrible 6 months. Both parents are now diagnosed with terminal cancer. How cruel can life be.

#2 xxyzed

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:07 AM

I’m so sorry. How devastating for your family.

#3 Odd-1-Out

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:09 AM

Im so sorry Rockwiz (((hugs))) from an internet random.

#4 gettin my fance on

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

I'm so sorry.

#5 BECZ

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:28 AM

I’m sorry.  That’s just not fair.

huge hugs!

#6 Mmmcheese

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

That's so tough rockwiz. I'm so sorry.

#7 Silly Old Elf

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:56 AM

I'm so sorry Rockwiz.

#8 SelceLisbeth

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:18 AM

That is just awful. I am so sorry, OP. I have a friend who lost both her parent within the space of 12 months due to terminal cancer and it was horrendous for her. I wish you strength and peace.

#9 Lifesgood

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:31 AM

I'm so sorry OP that is a truly unfair situation. I hope your parents can be made comfortable and that you have access to some support.

Would you like to tell us about your parents? I would love to listen.

#10 TheGreenSheep

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

Speechless. That’s devastating.

Agree with Lifesgood, I’d also love to hear about them

#11 cvbn

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

I would love to hear their story too.

#12 Little boys rock

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:12 AM

I am so sorry, please know we’re here for you xx

#13 JomoMum

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

Rockwiz I am so sorry. Cancer is a horrible disease and unfortunately doesn’t discriminate. We are all here to listen x

#14 Rockwiz

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:21 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 21 February 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

I'm so sorry OP that is a truly unfair situation. I hope your parents can be made comfortable and that you have access to some support.

Would you like to tell us about your parents? I would love to listen.
Thanks LG and everyone else for your kind thoughts. I really am just lost for words at the moment.

Mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer almost 2 and a half years ago. She went through major surgery, chemo, radiation and post surgery. They said they got it all. She was given the all clear. Late last year Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Chemo worked for a few months. About a week ago the oncologist said it's no longer working. Dad says he feels fine but without chemo he's basically waiting to die. To top it off Mum has just found out her cancer has returned and this time it's in the lungs. So they either didn't get it all or it had already started spreading before they thought they got it all.

#15 little lion

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

How devastating. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you all. Do you feel able to help them open a conversation about any special dreams they have and how to make them happen? If they’re well enough to enjoy a weekend at the beach or something it’d be a lovely memory to create. Big hugs to you.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

I’m so sorry. That’s just not fair. :(

#17 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

That is terribly unfair. :(

Dad used to volunteer for a palliative care organisation, helping people in palliative care put together a story of their life. Perhaps your parents would be interested in doing something like that?

#18 Mishu

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

I’m so very sorry-life is so cruel sometimes. I hope you have some support around for you Rockwiz

#19 MrsT2018

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

I'm sorry Rockwiz, thats really tough for them and your whole family.

I hope they can have a good quality of life for as long as possible.

Big hugs.

#20 Lifesgood

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Again, I'm so sorry OP. I really hope you still get some good quality time with them.

My mum was a breast cancer survivor who got her 5 year all clear then almost straight away they discovered it had spread to her bones and was everywhere. She is now in partial remission, but secondary cancer, as I'm sure you know, isn't curable so we are just waiting and praying now.

Facing into losing our parents is an existential shift.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your parents lives and history?

#21 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:37 AM

My sympathies. I am currently reeling from word Dads chemo and surgery last year did not get all the SCC and it has spread further on the head (SCC as a result of depressed immune system from CLL). I don’t know how I would deal if mum was also diagnosed.

Cancer Sux big time.

#22 Rockwiz

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:06 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 21 February 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Again, I'm so sorry OP. I really hope you still get some good quality time with them.

My mum was a breast cancer survivor who got her 5 year all clear then almost straight away they discovered it had spread to her bones and was everywhere. She is now in partial remission, but secondary cancer, as I'm sure you know, isn't curable so we are just waiting and praying now.

Facing into losing our parents is an existential shift.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your parents lives and history?
LG, sorry to hear about your Mum. Good news she's in partial remission. I assume that's because she's continued to do chemo? Yes secondary cancer, it's what Mum and Dad have now. I'm not even sure Mum is going to do chemo again. She had such a hard time last time only to get the all clear and now have it come back elsehere.

#23 Rockwiz

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 22 February 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

My sympathies. I am currently reeling from word Dads chemo and surgery last year did not get all the SCC and it has spread further on the head (SCC as a result of depressed immune system from CLL). I don’t know how I would deal if mum was also diagnosed.

Cancer Sux big time.
I'm so sorry VVA. I agree cancer is a disgusting disease. Why can't they find a cure with all the great things we can do these days!

#24 Sara.xoxo

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

So sorry to hear about your Mum and Dad. Cancer sucks big time! I hope you and your parents are surrounded by love and lots of support.
Sending hugs to you xoxo

#25 Chicken Pie

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

I’m really sorry OP

That’s tragic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.