At a loss

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Lifesgood

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 22 February 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

LG, sorry to hear about your Mum. Good news she's in partial remission. I assume that's because she's continued to do chemo? Yes secondary cancer, it's what Mum and Dad have now. I'm not even sure Mum is going to do chemo again. She had such a hard time last time only to get the all clear and now have it come back elsehere.
Mum had 6 months of chemo and hormone treatment to treat the bone cancer - to shrink it and 'switch it off'. She now has hormone treatments every three weeks (infusions in hospital) to keep it 'switched off'. The cancer has shrunk to a manageable level - so she doesn't get repeated bone fractures and debilitating pain, but it won't go away and she will have this treatment for the rest of her life - either until the cancer reactivates, or she passes from something else.

Chemo was a nightmare, she had to move in with us both times as she was so unwell (Dad has dementia). I had to take her to emergency a few times due to severe vomiting and dehydration as well as a couple of times she developed infections due to low immunity. She really suffered. I wouldn't criticise anyone who chose not to do, although I'm so grateful that my mum is still around.

Again, I'm so sorry OP.

#27 Rockwiz

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 22 February 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Mum had 6 months of chemo and hormone treatment to treat the bone cancer - to shrink it and 'switch it off'. She now has hormone treatments every three weeks (infusions in hospital) to keep it 'switched off'. The cancer has shrunk to a manageable level - so she doesn't get repeated bone fractures and debilitating pain, but it won't go away and she will have this treatment for the rest of her life - either until the cancer reactivates, or she passes from something else.

Chemo was a nightmare, she had to move in with us both times as she was so unwell (Dad has dementia). I had to take her to emergency a few times due to severe vomiting and dehydration as well as a couple of times she developed infections due to low immunity. She really suffered. I wouldn't criticise anyone who chose not to do, although I'm so grateful that my mum is still around.

Again, I'm so sorry OP.
LG, I'm sorry to hear your Mum has had such a tough time. I know what you mean about chemo. Mum didn't cope well at all the first time. She wouldn't eat or drink. She said she couldn't stomach either. She was often dehydrated and rushed to hospital a few times.

Again thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm trying to stay positive and deal with this crap situation.

#28 cvbn

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

Thinking of you OP. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.