Rainbow ice cream cake

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spr_maiden

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hi EBers

DD has requested a rainbow ice cream cake for her very small gathering on the weekend.  I'm thinking of making it as what she seems to want, I can't find anywhere.

Do you think I could get away with gel food colouring mixed in vanilla ice cream to make bright colours, and then just freeze into layers?

Or best to make ice cream?  I don't have an ice cream maker, and have never attempted homemade ice cream.  There is a recipe floating around online that is essentially cream and condensed milk whipped.  Has anyone tried it?  Was it any good?

Help please.
Cheers!

#2 chicken_bits

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

Is this not rainbow enough for her?

https://shop.coles.c...ream-party-cake

It's the go to cake at my son's daycare.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

Could you use a couple of loaf tins and do a bit of coloured vanilla at a time and freeze upright (I can picture in my head what I am trying to say!)

#4 spr_maiden

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

View Postchicken_bits, on 26 February 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

Is this not rainbow enough for her?

https://shop.coles.c...ream-party-cake

It's the go to cake at my son's daycare.

Is it flavoured?  She wasn't keen on it.  I'll find a picture of what she liked.

Thank you though!!!!

#5 spr_maiden

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

Like this, but no cake on the bottom

https://goo.gl/images/1cQLrM

And there was one that had pastel scoops in little tubs but can't find it.

#6 spr_maiden

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 26 February 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Could you use a couple of loaf tins and do a bit of coloured vanilla at a time and freeze upright (I can picture in my head what I am trying to say!)

That sounds similar to what I was thinking, and would turn out like the picture above?

#7 MakesMeHappy

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:51 PM

Do you have a Cold Rock or Wendy’s near you? They can both make cakes likes this.

#8 Flaxen

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yes I think melting very white ice cream and mixing with gel colours will be fine, but it will need to set again in the freezer before the next layer goes on, so very tedious and time consuming.

Another very lazy, very easy option is the Peter's 2lt icecream, that comes in rainbow colours. The colours are all swirled together and it's all vanilla flavour.
Turn the 2lt tub up-side down on a plate and decorate. Voila. Done.

#9 chicken_bits

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 26 February 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

That sounds similar to what I was thinking, and would turn out like the picture above?

Yep, you could totally do that. I've done that before too. The only thing to be aware of is that regular icecream is quite hard to cut through. It's a pain because if you try to get it to melt a little bit the edges end up as a puddle but the middle is still rock hard. A hot knife should help with that.

#10 spr_maiden

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

Oh good tip,  thank you.  Hot knife - dip it in hot water for a bit you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.