Is green poos mandatory for a allergy/intolerance?

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#1 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

We are struggling to find out the cause of our 10 week olds discomfort. He has been incredibly fussy since birth.

He screams during/after feeding, coughs and sounds congested especially at night. Generally gassy but especially early in the mornings. Sometimes his poos are stringy or a little mucusy ... but no green poo. Our paedititrican said he'd have green poo with an allergy.

My wife has cut out dairy from her diet about 4 weeks ago now ... he is much better on breastmilk then he is formula. Another reason we suspect dairy as an issue.

So many of his symptoms are the same as silent reflux as well which makes it so hard

#2 tryagain2

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

Hm with my little one they weren't always green, especially at 10 weeks, more mucusy but I also kept questioning whether it was mucus or just normal. In the end blood flecks were the obvious thing. In saying that blood doesn't have to be visible to the naked eye. Would be worth getting a stool test done to check for blood. If blood then confirms colitis and now that's often caused by dairy/soy. Soy and dairy are linked so she needs to stop both and be aware it takes up to 6 weeks to get out of your system.
Our gastrologist said that dairy/soy intolerance is increasing and they are unsure why. They also suspect a lot of "reflux" diagnosed babies are actually having colitis caused by dairy/soy intolerance.
In our case all fine by 12 months.

#3 cabbage88

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Ahhh no. Mucous poo, yes. It can be full of slime/ snotty looking parts and that's absolutely enough. Not many are green. Look for small or large stringy bits in their poo. At 6 weeks my twins mucous had become so chronic they pooed 8-10 times per day and it was like water, just soaked in, except for these really tacky stringy parts on the leg gussets. Cut cows milk protein (and later soy) and voila happy babies and normal poo.

#4 cabbage88

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

Just wanted to add- a breastfed baby should not have mucus in their poo.
And if they have issue with dairy,  the RCH estimates about half of them will also struggle with soy.
Encourage your wife to find the "breastfeeding with intolerances Australia" Facebook group it's AMAZING. Seriously life savers for us because our doctors were clueless.

#5 Future-self

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

No green poo here - lots of mucus though. Definite issues with dairy .

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

Heaps of mucus from breastmilk and no green poo here. Definite dairy intolerance. My babies also had severe silent reflux- the 2 things aren’t mutually exclusive, intolerances and reflux often go hand in hand
What helped mine was a high dose of losecamd hydrolysed (with the dairy proteins broken down) prescription formula (but I understand the dairy free diet works for a lot of people while breastfeeding)
Your posts have all sounded a lot like my babies, I’d be asking to trial losec or another reflux medication if I was you of only to rule it out
Have you checked out RISA www.reflux.org.au
Good luck getting some medical help, I’m sure you’re doing a great job and it is not easy

#7 Sincerely

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

Green stools are not listed in the diagnostic algorithm for CMPA (https://adc.bmj.com/content/92/10/902). Some of your DB's symptoms are included, as well as symptoms & signs described by PPs.

#8 Crazyazy

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

My DS had greenish frothy poos and his was a lactose intolerance not a dairy allergy, once I switched to a lactose free formula it improved.  He was also a reflux baby and 6 years later he still has both those things.  It did take finding the right paediatrician to listen and also prescribe losec for the reflux and agree about the lactose intolerance.  Please consider seeing another paediatrician for a second opinion parents always know their baby best..

#9 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the poo pic but i really don't know how else to try and get some info on whether this is mucusy or stringy or what.

https://imgur.com/a/Y9ocFss

Here is a pic 4 days after no formula and dairy free diet from my wife.

https://imgur.com/a/Y1yGaa7

Edited by Davidoff-sensei, 27 February 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#10 Wonderstruck

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

That's a mucus poop.right there (first pic). Doesnt need to be blood or green at all.

My daughter had mucus poop and screamed with terrible reflux that meds didnt entirely help. I was told shed be worse or have blood in her poop if she had an allergy.

At 8 months old I was sick of being robbed off and bought some allerpro and novalac allergy formula. She didnt take the novalac but took the allerpro and the change was amazing!

#11 CallMeFeral

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

View PostCrazyazy, on 26 February 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

My DS had greenish frothy poos and his was a lactose intolerance not a dairy allergy, once I switched to a lactose free formula it improved.  

Yup, AFAIK green poo is more a lactose indicator. I think it might be worth consulting a different paed.

#12 caitiri

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

My DS has a CMP intolerance but his symptoms are include constipation so it can be fairly varied

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Yep first pic is mucus
If your wife was keen on using some formula I also found allerpro to be very good

#14 MooGuru

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:59 PM

First pic is what DS's poo looked like and he was diagnosed with Cows milk protein intolerance.

Cutting dairy from my diet was enough, we were prescribed neocate formula  which I used more for cooking as he refused bottles. He also had losec and later ranitidine.

Edited by MooGuru, 28 February 2019 - 12:00 AM.

#15 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

View PostMooGuru, on 27 February 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

First pic is what DS's poo looked like and he was diagnosed with Cows milk protein intolerance.

Cutting dairy from my diet was enough, we were prescribed neocate formula  which I used more for cooking as he refused bottles. He also had losec and later ranitidine.

How long after cutting dairy from your diet did you notice improvements?

Did your DS need losec and ranitidine regardless or was the reflux just a symptom of the CMPI?

My little one has silent reflux as well we believe but it isnt crazy bad i think a possible CMPI is causing it.

Edited by Davidoff-sensei, 28 February 2019 - 07:57 AM.

#16 Ellie bean

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

I know you weren’t asking me but for what it’s worth both my babies needed losec even after cutting out dairy- dd to around 2 (she had pretty severe silent reflux, the gastroenterologist suspected she had a generalised protein intolerance though so not just cmpi), ds to around 7 months
My husband does have to take lifelong reflux medication for esinophilic esophagitis

Edited by Ellie bean, 28 February 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#17 MooGuru

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostDavidoff-sensei, on 28 February 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

How long after cutting dairy from your diet did you notice improvements?

Did your DS need losec and ranitidine regardless or was the reflux just a symptom of the CMPI?

My little one has silent reflux as well we believe but it isnt crazy bad i think a possible CMPI is causing it.

It feels like cutting out dairy made massive improvements quickly but thats the benefit of time passing. I think it was probably a few weeks but the difference was huge. Went from crying for hours and hours and waking with screaming etc to being a super contented happy chappy who was all smiles. I was very strict on the no dairy thing and noticed he'd be unsettled or refluxy any time I wasn't for about 2-3 days about 12 or 24 hours after exposure from memory.

He was really well for about 3 months before he started having issues again and was prescribed losec then ranitidine. He was later diagnosed with significant other health issues that explained the vomiting so the use of losec and ranitidine was potentially misplaced I guess.

#18 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Thanks elliebean and mooguru ... he was just weighed with our child health nurse and only put on 30g this week.

This is so hard ... we have booked another appointment with a paediatrician. He's been having roughly 750ml of breastmilk a day for the past week ... how can he only put on 30g?

The health nurse said she thinks his bowels are irritated if he's been pooing like the above picture and probably isnt eating as much as he should because it hurts him?

Just feel like crying honestly

#19 mayahlb

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

Mucous in the poo as others have said is one of the biggest indicators. Also it isn't uncommon for soy to be an issue if dairy is an issue. Something about the protein chains that form them being very similar. My youngest never had green poos, but his poos were full of mucous, he never ever slept and he'd scream for hours and hours and hours and hours. He also struggled massively with weight gain and was termed failure to thrive at 10 weeks. (CMPI and soy wasn't "diagnosed" until then, though I had figured it out, none of the peads or GPs I'd seen). Because his case was fairly severe, as in we barely avoided hospitalization and was on weekly pead visits for 6 weeks, they put him straight on neocate to supplement my milk as I couldn't produce enough, but he loathed a bottle.

Once this was sorted he improved a lot. Sleep was still an issue but likely for other reasons. Weight gain went better but it took until he was 18 months for him to lose the FTT label because it had damaged his gut and it took a while to him being able to absorb calories effectively. Though he still thin and skinny now at 8.5.

#20 Emfren

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

Took me cutting out Dairy for 4 weeks before there was a real improvement. This also coincided with being prescribed losec and he was a different baby with both of those things. I think his gut was less irritated so the losec worked well. No CMPI here, just a sensitivity to cows milk (which was suggested by a stool sample result). He used to scream a lot, and he screamed at the GP which really made her take notice so she totally believed us. Sometimes he had green poo, and often had mucousy poo until I cut out soy as well from my diet. He is 8months now and can eat dairy himself.

It was an awful time, I hope you can get some answers quickly.

And it’s ok to cry x

#21 Ellie bean

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

View PostDavidoff-sensei, on 28 February 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Thanks elliebean and mooguru ... he was just weighed with our child health nurse and only put on 30g this week.

This is so hard ... we have booked another appointment with a paediatrician. He's been having roughly 750ml of breastmilk a day for the past week ... how can he only put on 30g?

The health nurse said she thinks his bowels are irritated if he's been pooing like the above picture and probably isnt eating as much as he should because it hurts him?

Just feel like crying honestly
I actually found crying in drs appointments to be quite helpful! Also ringing every day and checking if there’s cancellations and you can get in earlier
I also took a written list of the questions I wanted to ask
Good luck it is very very hard x

#22 chicken_bits

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 28 February 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

I actually found crying in drs appointments to be quite helpful! Also ringing every day and checking if there’s cancellations and you can get in earlier
I also took a written list of the questions I wanted to ask
Good luck it is very very hard x

This helped me too! It was like I was finally believed once I broke down in tears. Ridiculous that it came to that.

#23 MooGuru

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:04 PM

Do you feel listened to by the early childhood nurse etc?
Because I used to get the "all babies cry" speech.  Or the "you can't expect a baby to sleep through the night" speech.

It's ok to cry - being stoic sometimes undermines us as PP's have said. It shouldn't take breaking down but it sometimes does.

I hope you get some answers. And it's ok to seek a second opinion if the medical professionals you've seen haven't taken you seriously.

#24 Wonderstruck

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 28 February 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Do you feel listened to by the early childhood nurse etc?
Because I used to get the "all babies cry" speech.  Or the "you can't expect a baby to sleep through the night" speech.

It's ok to cry - being stoic sometimes undermines us as PP's have said. It shouldn't take breaking down but it sometimes does.

I hope you get some answers. And it's ok to seek a second opinion if the medical professionals you've seen haven't taken you seriously.

This so much. I had the same speech from paeds and even a paed gastro. Only the MCHN at Tresillian believed me as they saw the issues we were having when we stayed there.

I went through a few doctors until I found good ones.

I even got the unsettled infant speech at 8 months when she was waking every 20 mins at night screaming. That's when I changed formula and it was like night and day.

#25 Davidoff-sensei

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:46 AM

So we decided to try Aptamil Allerpro since my wife can no longer handle dieting and everytime he screams she thinks its something she's eaten.

He was great in the last 24 hours ... now he's refusing to eat and seems constipated. He has done this before when we've tried formulas (although they where not HA)

He's now only had 230ml in the last 12 hours ...

Do we just continue until he manages to poo ... he seems so distressed. I feel like we've stuffed his gut up trying so many different things but he needs consistency with what he's eating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.