What are your pets names?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:36 AM

What are the names you have called your pets? Do you go for human names or more traditional pet names?

#2 bubskitkat

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

I have 2 cats.

Lillian is a ragdoll cat
Charles is a chocolate tonkinese. He’s called after Charlie and the chocolate factory.

My neighbors laugh at me when I call them in a night “Charles & Lillian kitty kitty kitty” snob cats

#3 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

Always human names. Currently have Ed the dog and the cats are Oliver and Pat The Cat. Previous pets were Monty, Roger, George, Katie, Charlie, Russell, Gabby, Willie and Nick.

The only non-human name we ever had was a childhood cat which came to us as a stray. He probably had some Scottish Fold in him as he had flat ears and was named, very imaginatively, Flat Ears.

Horses were Boots (a chestnut with four white socks, previously named Misty?), Jade, Oscar and Belle (nicknamed Stinky). Currently have Flash (a complete misnomer as he neither looks flash nor moves like one) and Sparrow (officially named Captain Jack Sparrow).

I once worked with a girl who named all her pets Trevor, regardless of their gender or species. When I met her she had a female cat and a male budgie both named Trevor. There were several Trevors before and after these.

Edited by Feral Grey Mare, 28 February 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#4 Minka1313

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

I have had 4 cats throughout my life and I guess we go with more pet names -

Bubblegum - He came to us as a kitten with this name and it fitted him perfectly because he was a white cat that loved to roll in red dirt, as a result he was always pink! Then there was Misty (My brother wanted MissC), Bonnie (She was named after my Aunt's Dog?) and Minka.

Edited by Minka1313, 28 February 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#5 Renovators delight

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

We also have Charles, a tuxedo moggy, and Happy Meal, a tabby moggy with white sox. The 3yo insisted on his name. Attempts to name him Thomas were futile.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:10 AM

Suki the cat

And 3 papillons - Choppa, Bella & Muppet.

Muppet is definitely living up to his name at the moment.

#7 RocktonResident

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:12 AM

I don't deliberately give them human names, although at the moment it seems to have worked out that way a bit.

At the moment we have 3 cats- Toby, Sally and Eevee.

Our dog was called Phoenix.

#8 Redhead43

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:12 AM

Bruno the chocolate lab.
Charles and Camilla the peacock pair.

#9 Feraldasherie

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

Prefer pet names to people names for animals mostly, except for chickens, love to use all my favourite girl names.

New ginger kitten called Pumpkin.

#10 kadoodle

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

Mama, Mollie and Hazelnut are dogs. The cats have a mix of human and strange names.

#11 Mollycoddle

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

Lucy.  Rescue dog, foxy cross corgi, was named that when we got her.

Stripey.  Male golden/brown tuxedo tabby we've had for a year, named by youngest son.  I call him Striper, I wanted him to be Shere Kanh, lost out on that one but saving it until I get a ginger anyway.

Scratchy.  Male silver tabby we've had 3 years, also named by youngest son.  I prefer Old Scratch pirate-style or Scratchimal.  He stays out all day and night and only sneaks in when we're asleep to eat (we occasionally run into him in the neighbourhood lol) but he's a beautiful, beautiful looking cat.

I'm another one for pet names over human names.

ETA I forgot Roxanne (Roxy), the Murray Darling python.  So named because occasionally the heat lamp we have on her is red.  She belonged to DP and he didn't name her promptly so I took it upon myself :)

Edited by Mollycoddle, 01 March 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:30 AM

We usually pick  movie character names.  We currently have a cat called Elsa and a dog called Trinity (from the Matrix).

#13 marple

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

Taz - the Dutch  Shepherd
2 cats - Smokey and Layla

Used to have a Charlie ( who we called Charlie  Barley )- I think its very popular.

All of our animals have been named by the kids , but I  like noun names for animals, so when I get a chance I will get a dog and call it Summer.

#14 71Cath

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

2 cats - Perry (from Phineas and Ferb, so we can say, "Where's Perry?", and Puddy from some Disney Channel show that the kids were watching 10 years ago.

I get to name the next one!

#15 4kids mostlysane

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

My first cat, when I was about 5 was Wendy - not sure if I named it or my parents actually.  My sister (1 at the time) called her "Windy".  That cat was a saint.

Our next cat was Trixie, named by me, deep in my Trixie Belden phase.

Fast forward to me being an adult - black cat with white paws called Alisdair.  He left home when our son was born with his nose well and truly out of joint and was adopted by the lady who lived behind us at the time.

Now I have Jamie (fluffy ginger cat) who had a brother called Dougal (who ran away - long story - that's when our cats became inside cats).  Both named for Outlander characters.

And now Fergus. small grey cat, foster son to Jamie (also Outlander! I wanted Roger but was vetoed by the family...)

Dogs were Patches (if anyone should have had a human name it should have been him - he was definitely a human trapped in a Border Collie's body) and Darcy - DH chose both names.

#16 Astrocyte

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

My English Cocker Spaniel is named Angus. My aunt has two dogs; one named Lucy and the other Marcus. My childhood dog was named Jessie.

#17 auntycharlie

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

Black cat - Inky (for obvious reasons)
Mini Foxy - Myf (named after Myf Warhurst, my husband is a fan)
Cairn Terrier - Aggie (Scottish name for a Scottish dog)

#18 Octopodes

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

Our cats all have old people names starting with a vowel. Unfortunately one of the names is very popular for pets and now small humans.

#19 Demera

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

We have a mixture of both:
Cats:  Lily/Kitty, Gingie.
Dogs: Patch, PJ
Horses: Rusty, Rocket, Boomer, Allie, Tilly, Katie, Frida.

Some names are obvious (ginger cat, chestnut horse, patchy dog).

#20 Inkogneatoh

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

Our only current pet is a chihuahua/Pomeranian cross called Toby. We didn't name him, as he was a rescue. His previous name had been Rex, and we didn't think it would be good to give him a third name in his 8 month life.

We tend towards unusual pet names. With the exception of the cats called Lizzie (who was possibly male), and Sam (couldn't tell the sex here either). Other cats have included Spot, Shutty (short for Shut up), Moron (Shut up's brother, and was seriously the dumbest cat I've ever known), Kitty and her look a likes Two, Three and Four, Fluffy (who was practically bald), and Holey (black cat with white feet with black spots). Then there was the flow on line of Wong, Wight (who was actually a black cat) and Weft. Wong and Wight looked nothing alike, so it was easy for my brother to tell Wong from Wight. Weft looked a lot like Wight, and he always got his left and right mixed up.

The last 2 dogs were Piggy and Minus. Minus got his name after an interesting naming session. We were thinking of Bitzer, but realized that as soon as he was old enough he would lose his bits, and Minus kind of stuck. The neighbour at the time used to call him Mind-us.

I named my chickens named Christmas, Dinner and Lunch, and wasn't allowed to call the duck Confit. The goats were called Rover and Guzzle.

In saying that the last lot of animals I named had mainly human names. Princess (the stray) had kittens that I found as cyclone Marcia bore down on us. Bobby and Cindy survived, but Jan didn't. Jan had been dragged half way around the yard by the dog who found them first under a cupboard and was taking it inside out of the rain and wind, so it got wet and colder than the others. They were young enough not to have their eyes open and I found Princess a couple of hours after. She escaped with the babies the next day before I could find someone to take them, but I trapped them and took them to the pound a few months later.

#21 Feraldasherie

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostInkogneatoh, on 28 February 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

I named my chickens named Christmas, Dinner and Lunch, and wasn't allowed to call the duck Confit. The goats were called Rover and Guzzle.

When I was in India, there was a mother and calf in the street outside the ashram and I used to call the calf Breakfast. Until the day I was walking past the mother cow and she turned her head and butted me so hard I was bruised for a week.

Serves me right really.

#22 Gonzy

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

A bit of both.

Our cats name was Sheeba - she was a Himalayan x oriental and had these gorgeous blue almond eyes so reminded me of an Egyptian sphinx - hence "Queen of Sheeba" was her name.

Our dogs on the other hand, two boxers - they are named Tess & Rocco so human names really.

Our next boxer will be named Klaus.  DH is Polish and our surname that has some crazy out of place letters, often gets very mistaken for a Klaus/Klowse sound - far from the correct pronunciation.  Either way, next pup will be a homage to that.

Edited by Gonzy, 28 February 2019 - 10:19 AM.

#23 HighlandPinky

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

My basset hound is called Nancy.  All basset hounds seem to have old people names.... I think it's law.

The border collie is Zelda, bearded collie is Bill, kelpie is Isa and the huntaway is Ness.

As for the cats, we have Maisie... An ex-breeding queen originally called IsDaWa Amazing.... But I just couldn't bring myself to call her amazing . Rescue cats gizmo (he came with that name), and Maui....otherwise known as cheeto, mitten, mitmit or Todd. It seems every family member has a different name for him.

The bulls (not really pets, but I love them) are called Ben, Sir Lawrence, Cuthbert & Echo.

#24 Zippypeaks

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

We have a puppy Callum, Callum's was the restaurant where hubby and I had our first date!

#25 TrixieBelden

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:24 AM

Always human names and we like to give them a title like Mrs or Professor as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.