Dog with weak / paralysed leg

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 lozoodle

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

They've already been told it was a possibility he may even get put to sleep today if it was bad enough, so they'll be happy to know that he's at least coming home for a while. I'm glad I just told them straight up from the outset it was a possibility though, makes it a bit easier than having to explain when it happens.

#27 Chicken Pie

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

We did the same when we had similar expectations and I agree it is better - dd did videos and pics of our Pantha (Konja cat) which she still watches nearly 4 years later

#28 Chicken Pie

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

Sorry OP I clicked on the topic and it came straight here and I missed the update

Again we had similar and I truly hope the time to come goes easy on him and meds help :) cancer sucks for all beings :(

#29 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:05 PM

I’m so sorry, Iozoodle.

#30 lozoodle

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

Yup definitely they're all sad, but they get it and I'm glad they know what's happening and are spending time with him now when it matters most :)

#31 Ellie bean

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

I’m so sorry lozoodle
His days will be filled with love which is so important
We lost our dog recently, I was similarly really upfront with the kids and they handled it really well- me not so much- so please be gentle with yourself

#32 *Spikey*

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

So sorry to hear your pup dog is so sick. Xxx

#33 lozoodle

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:26 AM

Sorry to drag up old thread again! But how on earth do you know when its "time"?

I'm so conflicted. So I have 3 dogs, all papillons. Obviously from this thread we know how one is doing. they are all old, he's actually the youngest at 10 and the older two are 12. The female (not the cancer one) has been driving me NUTS with her carrying on and barking at night and acting weird.

Tonight I've moved the sick one upstairs into his own area to sleep as I think the disruption to him is too much. But now he's here with me I'm realising he's panting all the time and just uncomfortable in general. Keep in mind one of his tumours takes up most of a lung. So I am thinking well the discomfort is bad and I don't want him feeling that .but then the rest of him eats heaps and plays and hobbles around... how do you know when to do it?

I think his unsettledness in general has caused the other dogs to Go a bit bonkers recently, so I am interested to see how separating them goes tonight in terms of 2am barking from the other one thats been happening.

I hate this. I wish they could just tell us what's happening. Or as bad as this sounds I wish I could just come home one day and he'd be gone and the decision would be made. I hate having this decision over someone's life. who am I to determine when they aren't worth existing anymore? :(

#34 DaLittleEd

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:30 AM

I am going through the same thing atm, and it is heart breaking.

My old dog also has a tumour. Currently quite happy but seems to have lost bladder control. We are thinking of trying dog nappies while she is still happy.

#35 Ellie bean

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:35 AM

It’s so hard, I feel for you :(
Do you have a trusted vet? I talked to my vet at length, 2 or 3 times over a few months, I was worried as I know dogs are so good at hiding pain, my dog was also on meds that meant he would eat even if he was miserable so I didn’t have that as a sign, she gave me a great chart where I could track indicators of his quality of life and objectively map if it was declining. Interestingly when I said I was worried about making the decision too soon, she said she finds more commonly people feel they waited too long (I’m absolutely not saying that applies to you in any way, it was just surprising to me to hear it)
My younger dog also avoided him towards the end, and was even barking at him at one stage, these were two dogs who were previously inseparable, it was another sign I think
It’s really hard as there’s no clear right or wrong time, it’s a horrible power to have (but also a privilege at the same time to be able to peacefully end their suffering)
Thinking of you

#36 got my tinsel on

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:42 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 13 April 2019 - 12:26 AM, said:

who am I to determine when they aren't worth existing anymore? :(

That's not the case at all.  Please don't think that is about worth.

You'll be deciding that he shouldn't suffer any more.

#37 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:59 AM

I'm sorry Lozoodle. I went through this about 5 years ago with my previously healthy 5-year old border collie. He had a tumour in his upper jaw that couldn't be removed and we got about 8 months from diagnosis to euthanasia.

I think I had a similar experience to you in that he seemed happy enough in other ways, but had these huge coughing/snorting fits a few times a day as the tumour was impacting on his nasal passages. And he'd also snort a lot when he was breathing and had a few other things going on that made me feel awful for him, but trying to decide whether it was bad enough for him for me to euthanase him, was horrible.

I think Ellie Bean's advice is great. Sometimes the emotions can be overwhelming and taking an objective approach can be really helpful. It was such a hard thing to do, it still makes me cry to think about it.

#38 *Spikey*

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

For us, it was when they stopped ''smiling".  They day their joy and happiness departed, was the day I booked the vet because it was my responsibility to ensure that they didn't suffer needlessly. I knew Buttercup had reached that point as she wasn't wagging her tail, her ears were signalling pain, and nothing was enticing her to eat - big thing for a Labrador. She just wanted me to make it go away, and I did. Same for our Elkhound. She reached a point where it was 'too much' and she lost her happy. For our cat, it was when she couldn't walk (that happened very quickly) and toilet properly, and stopped even looking at food. Again, she'd lost her happy.

Wishing you all the best on this decision. It's so hard.

#39 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

Thank you everyone I appreciate all these replies so much they have helped a lot!

For now he is still kicking but I am watching him closely. Friday night when he was in with me, I think ended up with him just wanting to be with his friends, DP let him out with them and he was happy again.

That said, this is moving quick, the lump under his arm that was golf ball size is now the size of a cupped hand and going off in 3 different directions so I suspect his lung and anywhere else that is affected would be too.

But today he wolfed down his dinner, had some fun with his dog buddies, ran around the park and had loads of attention and tail wagging so I guess its still ok for now?

I'll just have to assess every day. I have talked to his vet and I really trust her. I asked her when he was under for his x rays whether I should just do it now and she said he's got too much fight left in him and I agreed, and I still do now.

#40 Ellie bean

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:22 PM

Really glad to hear you have some happy time left with him

#41 FiveAus

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

You will know when it's time, trust me, if you are asking yourself "is it time now?" then it's not.
There is a look they give you, the light goes out in their eyes and there's a pleading to make it end. You won't be asking yourself the question, you'll be saying "It's time."

#42 Mummy_Em

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

It’s a tough choice, I worried about having made the decision too soon for my old girl when she was having brief collapses where she couldn’t control her rear half due to a tumor pressing on her spine. The vet said she wasn’t in too much pain due because her heart rate wasn’t too elevated, but she had stopped coming to lay at my feet and lost interest in greeting people at the door, so I think she was ready.

#43 lozoodle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:00 PM

Yeah I think you are all right, I will just know when it is time. I think it won't be long either way as its gone from what I could feel being slightly less than a golf ball to bigger than my entire hand, and that's just the sarcoma I could feel under his arm, who knows what's going on in his lungs etc etc.

Still seems happy but I'll just keep on watching him. I guess I am also worried as we are going overseas for 2 weeks in 3 weeks time and the stress of that is adding to it. I keep thinking do I do it before I go in case it needs to happen when I am away? But then I think that's just me being a b**ch and wanting convenience (not really but you know how we are always sh*t to ourselves in these situations!)

#44 *Spikey*

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

Yep, we travelled overseas when our 22yo cat was on her last legs. Left detailed instructions just in case with the cattery and our vet.

We got another week with her when we returned, then it was time.

Don't be afraid to go early, it won't be very early by the sounds of the speed at which that tumour is growing. Far better to be surrounded with her loved ones. xxxx

#45 lozoodle

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

He's being PTS tomorrow. I'm so sad, but he's just so uncomfortable. The tumour that I can feel is huge, and I can only imagine what the one in his lung is like.

He's just constantly whimpering and shuffling around trying to get comfortable. But then of course he wags his tail when he sees us as he just wants pats and love.

Poor little guy, he tries so hard to be happy but its just so sh*tty for him now, he can only walk a few steps and then has to lay down and catch his breath. As much as I hate having to do this, his quality of life is gone and I would rather him go in with us who he knows and loves, than someone who is a stranger to him while we are away.

Kids are pretty good, but my 10 year old daughter is pretty distraught, she's had a rough weekend and lots of tears.

#46 Froyohoho

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:29 PM

I'm so sorry xx

#47 Ellie bean

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

I’m really sorry

#48 *Spikey*

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

So sorry.

#49 DaLittleEd

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:31 PM

I'm so sorry.

#50 Chicken Pie

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:00 AM

I’m so sorry OP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.