Gift Idea for Miss 11?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 aluminium

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

We will be travelling OS when it is DD's birthday. I am looking for inspiration for small birthday gifts I can pack to give her so she has something tangible to open on the day.

We will be on a major family holiday, so she will be getting lots of new experiences, I don't want to brand them as birthday gifts.

Before we leave, her Grandmother will be giving her money in the currency of our destination.

She has travel-stuff already sorted.  Doesn't like jewellery. We will be collecting pins/badges from the places we travel to.

She wants a Kindle but I'm not sure I'm ready for her to have that. I am also thinking that I don't want to spend too much money.

All I have on my list so far is some chocolate, and I thought a new outfit but I'm not sure about that. I just want something small but interesting.

For a typical birthday, I usually buy one special gift, a book and a new outfit. I guess a small book will be OK. But I don't know. . .

#2 feralisles

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

How long will you be away for?  If you are travelling for a while, a kindle would be a great idea.

We spent some time in Europe when DD1 was 10.  The one thing she missed was books.  We had taken a few, but she is an avid reader and had finished them by the time the plane trip was over, leaving her nothing new to read while we were away.
It was not easy finding children's books in English in France.

A kindle means you can take thousands, with very little extra weight to carry.

#3 aluminium

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

That is an excellent point about a Kindle. I love my Kindle.

I just feel like I'm over-indulging her. We'll be travelling for 8-weeks through USA/Canada. We were planning on doing a book swap with friends (with whom we are staying) halfway through the trip.

#4 JoanJett

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

A travel journal? Or a kid-friendly camera (like an Instamax)?

#5 Octopodes

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

I would get the kindle so she can read on planes/trains without the hassle of lugging space hogging books everywhere. I wish I'd bought one for DS11 before we went o/s last year. He ran out of books to read part way through, we ended up buying more from English bookshops in Italy.

A good quality pair of headphones are very useful too, if she doesn't have a pair already.

Oh, DS had his own camera too (<$100) which was great. It was interesting to see what he focused on and found interesting compared to what we chose to photograph.

Edited by Octopodes, 01 March 2019 - 05:17 PM.

#6 too tired to care

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

typo has some pretty little back pack bags that might be good to use when walking around.

Edited to add- i actually think kindle is a great idea too.

Edited by too tired to care, 01 March 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#7 Fillyjonk

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

I'm thinking of getting my son a Kindle his 11th birthday this year.

#8 aluminium

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the input.
I'm quite undecided.

DD and her sister got a camera to share for Christmas, they also received travel journals and new backpacks.

Headphones are a great idea but I'd want to give them to her before we travel for on the plane, and then I'm still without an on-the-day gift.

I'm sure it'll come to me.

Thanks for helping.

#9 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:42 PM

I think a kindle is a great gift for an 11 year old.

What about an introductory skin care kit?

#10 Inkogneatoh

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Could you do a voucher for a souvenir that you would normally say no too? A trinket box, or poster or frame or something that would normally be out of the "budget" or for what ever reason not allowed. You could still put restrictions (like up to a certain amount or that it needs to fit in a certain space), but there would still be something tangible to open.

#11 Bearynice

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

What about a new purse?

Stationary from typo?

Fancy Lip balm set?

#12 JoanJett

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:01 AM

Do you know which city you'll be in on the day?  Something famous from/about that place as a good memory that's not a souvenir..

#13 Poughkeepsie

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:01 AM

A Garmin? Not the kid’s one, a “proper” one. We all had ours on our O/S trip last year and our kids loved seeing how many steps/distance they covered each day.
Noise-cancelling headphones were a massive hit for our kids as well.

#14 seemingly

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Kindle pretrip and a gift voucher to purchase ebooks on her birthday.

#15 aluminium

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone.

I will give the Kindle idea some more consideration. Or the headphones.

She already has a Fitbit Flex 2 (to track swimming laps).

I like the idea of getting her something from the place (We will be in the Algonquin Provincial park, ON for her birthday).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.