Books for kids of parent with cancer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lou-bags

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

Hi everyone,

A work colleague has been diagnosed with a cancer that has a poor prognosis and we’re all very shaken up and sad for him and his family. He has two children the same age roughly as my boys (toddler and pre schooler) and I’m wanting to buy a book or two for them written for children in their situation.

A. Is this an ok idea?
B. Do you have any suggestions for books?

Thanks so much.

#2 MooGuru

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

I'm sorry that's crappy.
I've got a link somewhere.  I'm posting now so I can find this thread when I can track down the link

#3 Riotproof

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

I’m very sorry.

Not something I’ve experienced, but I think No Matter What by Deb Gliori might work.

Video from Bookaboo here so you can see the text https://www.youtube....h?v=RyCyWmmoUH8

Also, maybe Under the love umbrella https://www.youtube....h?v=77-xNsnob18

Love you forever by Robert Munsch might work, I’m not sure. It has imagery of the parent getting older and it might not be appropriate.

#4 JomoMum

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

I’m sorry to hear this :( how terrible to happen to a family with such young kids x

If this were our family going through this situation (and it kind of has been - I went through this 14 months ago, but my prognosis was cure), I probably wouldn’t want other people giving our children a book of this nature.

Talking to your children about cancer and death is such a very personal thing (we had to have some difficult conversations with our 4 yo at the time) and they may have their own plan for how this wish to handle those difficult moments.

I think it is so kind of you to want to help and to get the boys something. Could you perhaps consider getting them something for them to spend some time on? I remember being most grateful for a friend who brought over a big bag of activities and crafts for DS- sticker books, glue, paper, scissors etc that we could just bring out at any time and acted as a bit of a distraction for us.

#5 TheGreenSheep

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:41 AM

I agree with Jomo. It’s so personal.
For those ages the toddler would have minimal comprehension and the preschooler may pick up on more.

This may be a little way out idea, but maybe create a memory book from your colleagues to them about what a great guy their dad is and was, two copies, one for each child, for their mum to put away until they’re older and want to know more about their dad from other people.
Can you fund raise to pay for cleaners? Meal delivery? Grocery vouchers? Family photo shoot?

I’m so sorry that you’re colleague and his family are going through this. Very kind of you to want to assist. It’s a tough time for everyone.

#6 Sara.xoxo

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

I was diagnosed with cancer last year and I received 2 wonderful books from a charity called mummy’s wish. I know you said it’s the dad who has cancer but maybe you could get in touch with mummy’s wish and ask them where you could get the books from. They are aimed at young kids and I have found them helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.