Not crawling/moving at ten months

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

Hello,

Our DD is just ten months and sits all day. She doesn't crawl or bum shuffle at all. I was quite enjoying the fact that she doesn't move yet (our DS was running by now). Today, a well- meaning older lady who we have known for a few months and used to be a paediatric nurse told me she should be crawling by now. She said her hips have been over-extended from the hip brace, her toes turn in, her legs turn in, she can't bear much weight on her legs and that something's not right. Now I'm worried!!

Any advice on what I should do?

Thank you

#2 ~J_F~

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

Go to your doctor and tell them about your concerns. They will be able to help you and give your referrals to the right people.

#3 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

My daughter was immobile until 11 months when she finally started crawling.  She is now a state level swimmer and highly coordinated athlete.

My son was mobile at 8 months (pulling himself along the ground) but is not well coordinated or good at sports.

I would see your GP and a paediatric physio for advice.

#4 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

Mine also didn’t do much, had to pull him to even get him to sit up. Also didn’t walk till very late, just knee walking till 2YO. Check with your GP to do a check up and see what they say. Try not to stress too much though x

#5 Kafkaesque

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:40 PM

See your CHN, Dr or physio. Not crawling by itself at ten months isn’t necessarily an issue but can she weight bare ie. if you stand her up can she support her weight flat footed? Does she try to pull up either on your hands or furniture?

#6 Minnie80

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

Many babies skip crawling and go directly to walking. My brother never crawled and neither did my nephew.

#7 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

DS never crawled or pulled up.  He did roll where he wanted to go, then one day got up and started walking straight off.

What does she do when she is out of range of something she wants?

#8 gettin my fance on

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

If you're worried absolutely check it out.

DD didn't roll until 10 months (screamed whenever we put her on her tummy) and even sitting was likely to end up with her falling backwards.

At 13 months she started walking no problems.

#9 livelifelovehappy

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

My son never crawled, but he did bear weight. He started walking at 15 months, no ongoing issues.

#10 Future-self

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

By itself I wouldn;t have been too concerned but your other comments about her having worn a brace and now she's got turned in feet and legs etc is something else. I'd talk ot the GP - who knows her history - and perhaps see a Paediatric physio to make sure everything is as it should be after the initial issue.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

Our daughter crawled on her first birthday, which was a relief as there were a few people coming that night who frowned at the knowledge that she wasn't, and helpfully told me their children were running around by then.  She walked at 16 months.

She would weight bear, but only by locking her knees (something I had no understanding of until later).

In the orthopaedic surgeon's office for a potential knee reconstruction at about 18, he asked 'did she walk late' and when I said that she did, he half said to himself 'didn't trust her knees'.

So yes, worth getting checked out, but I believe it's still well within the range of normal.

#12 Fi Fy Fo Fum

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

My DD didn't crawl til 10 and 1/2 months and didn't walk til 18 months. All turned out fine. But i agree of you're worried, ask your dr

#13 liveworkplay

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

The no weight bareing would concern me more then the not crawling. I would get it checked out. My eldest was in a hip brace until 7 mths old.  She was running by 12 mths.

#14 liveworkplay

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostMinnie80, on 07 March 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

Many babies skip crawling and go directly to walking. My brother never crawled and neither did my nephew.

This can cause problems later in life, particularly if you are athletic. My middle child didn't really crawl (cruised and crawled on the same day). As a pre teen she had heaps of issue stemming from have near non existent core strength.

#15 zjb2

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

OP I also suggest seeing a paediatric physio, primarily due to the weight bearing issue.

We had a hip brace here too and completely non weight bearing at 10 months. Turns out we also had hyper flexibility (extreme in ankles and knees) and hypotonia.

Paed physio helped enormously with getting movement happening, albeit slowly.

#16 quartz85

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

Considering her hip issues, get her checked. Does she have a 12 month check up with the ortho or paed who oversees her treatment? Crawling is important for brain development too. I have a hip baby who crawled at 6 months and walked at ten, so early by anyone's standards but her physio said that they are often behind because depending on how long they were being treated.

#17 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

View PostKafkaesque, on 07 March 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

See your CHN, Dr or physio. Not crawling by itself at ten months isn’t necessarily an issue but can she weight bare ie. if you stand her up can she support her weight flat footed? Does she try to pull up either on your hands or furniture?

Hello, no she can't bare weight on her legs. Her legs sort of buckle under her weight. She doesn't try and pull herself up at all.

#18 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostFeral-as-Meggs, on 07 March 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

DS never crawled or pulled up.  He did roll where he wanted to go, then one day got up and started walking straight off.

What does she do when she is out of range of something she wants?

She whines or just seems to accept that she can't get it. She's quite placid. Saying that, it's probably time to start making her work harder for her toys!

#19 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

View PostFuture-self, on 07 March 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

By itself I wouldn;t have been too concerned but your other comments about her having worn a brace and now she's got turned in feet and legs etc is something else. I'd talk ot the GP - who knows her history - and perhaps see a Paediatric physio to make sure everything is as it should be after the initial issue.

Yes the lack of crawling isn't itself such a concern but when you look at everything together it doesn't look good. We recently moved for the year to magnetic island from Melbourne so I need to find a GP and start checking out the services in Townsville :-) thank you

View Postborn.a.girl, on 07 March 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

Our daughter crawled on her first birthday, which was a relief as there were a few people coming that night who frowned at the knowledge that she wasn't, and helpfully told me their children were running around by then.  She walked at 16 months.

She would weight bear, but only by locking her knees (something I had no understanding of until later).

In the orthopaedic surgeon's office for a potential knee reconstruction at about 18, he asked 'did she walk late' and when I said that she did, he half said to himself 'didn't trust her knees'.

So yes, worth getting checked out, but I believe it's still well within the range of normal.

Thank you! That's incredible about your daughter. She knew as a baby.

#20 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

View Postzjb2, on 07 March 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

OP I also suggest seeing a paediatric physio, primarily due to the weight bearing issue.

We had a hip brace here too and completely non weight bearing at 10 months. Turns out we also had hyper flexibility (extreme in ankles and knees) and hypotonia.

Paed physio helped enormously with getting movement happening, albeit slowly.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll definitely get to a paediatric physio :-)

#21 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

View Postquartz85, on 07 March 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

Considering her hip issues, get her checked. Does she have a 12 month check up with the ortho or paed who oversees her treatment? Crawling is important for brain development too. I have a hip baby who crawled at 6 months and walked at ten, so early by anyone's standards but her physio said that they are often behind because depending on how long they were being treated.

She is due to have an x-ray when she's one but I haven't organised that yet as the orthopaedic surgeon she's under is in Melbourne and we've moved to Queensland for the year. I think I'll call his office and ask for an x-ray referral and get the results sent to him?

#22 IamzFeralz

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

My DD didn’t crawl until 15 months.  She started walking a month after that.  

There have been no other developmental issues since. She is 16 now.  She did have a big head relative to her body and I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Sometimes it is the range of normal, sometimes not.  Get it checked out to be sure.

#23 afterlaughter

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

A Start would be not to sit her up and always place her on her back or tummy on floor. There is a great Janet Lansbury article that discusses this in greater detail. Seeing a physio or OT then can give targeted exercise and positions to help her build the right muscles.

#24 Lallalla

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

View Postafterlaughter, on 07 March 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

A Start would be not to sit her up and always place her on her back or tummy on floor. There is a great Janet Lansbury article that discusses this in greater detail. Seeing a physio or OT then can give targeted exercise and positions to help her build the right muscles.

This is a mistake I made with my oldest, who sat early (5 months) but crawled at 11 months and walked at 18 months and is ultimately just fine. But this sounds like more than that to me. She didn’t have any weight bearing issues and delighted in pulling herself to standing. She just couldn’t (or wouldn’t) go anywhere.

Edited by Lallalla, 07 March 2019 - 10:17 PM.

#25 Hummingbird82

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostLallalla, on 07 March 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

This is a mistake I made with my oldest, who crawled at 11 months and walked at 18 months and is ultimately just fine. But this sounds like more than that to me. She didn’t have any weight bearing issues and delighted in pulling herself to standing. She just couldn’t go anywhere.

Yes despite me almost rolling my eyes today at this kind friend, I will definitely thank her when I next see her, as I think there could be more to this than I initially thought. I'm going to contact the Townsville hospital and some private paediatric physios tomorrow and start investigating :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.