Sorry but I can only drive a manual car.....

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 yummymummycakes

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

Director and colleague have to make a company trip. A colleague offered to book the company car however came back and said she couldnt as all the cars are automatic.

She can only drive a manual!

What the heck?

#2 ~J_F~

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Umm I don’t even know how one could think that....

:rofl:

#3 Dianalynch

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

I can only drive an automatic, my hatred of driving meant I took the path of least resistance...so it’s hard for me to understand the other way around.

I imagine it would be hard to hire a manual, as most would be auto? Just my assumption, could be wrong.

#4 Zippypeaks

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

I had a colleague out from England where it was so very rare for anyone to drive an auto. She had absolutely no idea how to drive an automatic so I scored the lucky task to guide her through. She kept slamming on the brake thinking it was the clutch and just couldn't grasp the concept that you didn't need to change gears. I was so sick after getting out of the car!

Edited by Zippypeaks, 13 March 2019 - 06:32 PM.

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

Hertz have manual cars for hire.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

Is she very young or on her ps? My understanding is that if you get your license in a manual now, that is all you can drive.
I understand in the case of the other way, as in licensed in auto means can’t drive manual, but I think it’s a bit bonkers.

When dh got his license, he got it in auto and drove a manual. By the time I did it, you couldn’t drive a manual unless you’d done the test in one, but you still could drive an automatic.

This is in NSW.

#7 Nasty Teens

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:44 PM

I struggle going auto to manual. Stopping the vehicle I keep tapping the foot rest looking for the clutch. I have seen others trying to move the gear stick in an auto as if it was a manual.

#8 SkeptiHandsOnMum

It can actually be challenging for a person to drive an automatic vehicle if they have only ever driven a manual.

If she is not comfortable to drive an automatic then I would much rather her decline to drive than to be out of her comfort zone.

#9 Gudrun

I'm pretty sure that manual to automatic is automatic.  I did it when I had to drive a new automatic home and had only ever driven a manual.

Automatic to manual you have to learn how.  I'd say she is being special.

#10 HighlandPinky

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

View PostZippypeaks, on 13 March 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

I had a colleague out from England where it was so very rare for anyone to drive an auto. She had absolutely no idea how to drive an automatic so I scored the lucky task to guide her through. She kept slamming on the brake thinking it was the clutch and just couldn't grasp the concept that you didn't need to change gears. I was so sick after getting out of the car!

I learned to drive in an automatic, drove an auto for 10 years, then got a manual car. I drove dh's automatic the other day, for the first time in a couple of years, and I kept doing the same thing! I know quite a few people here in the UK who hate driving automatics, since manual is the norm.  But they're all capable of driving one!

#11 ~J_F~

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 13 March 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Is she very young or on her ps? My understanding is that if you get your license in a manual now, that is all you can drive.
I understand in the case of the other way, as in licensed in auto means can’t drive manual, but I think it’s a bit bonkers.

When dh got his license, he got it in auto and drove a manual. By the time I did it, you couldn’t drive a manual unless you’d done the test in one, but you still could drive an automatic.

This is in NSW.

I don’t understand why a manual would only be allowed to drive manual and not auto too. Once you can drive with a clutch you should be able to drive without it..

The other way I get though, some people really can’t get a clutch to work..

When I drive an auto I go to change gears but not use the clutch, it’s weird :lol:

#12 notsoretro

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

This was my Mum! She had only ever driven manual and smaller cars. She needed to collect the mail and was handed keys to the manager's LTD. She had a couple of "lessons" in the car park and was then set. She died at 79 still driving a manual, never having had cause to drive another automatic again

#13 Riotproof

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

That is weird. I still use my left foot as if there kind of was a clutch for braking, but not so much for driving.
After having a manual for years, I really struggled when we switched to an auto. Just with reaching to change gears instinctively.
I have those paddle things for changing gears which I do use, though not often.

I would be able to drive a manual today, but I would still panic slightly at a steep hill start.

Edited by Riotproof, 13 March 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

Some automatic cars have a very large brake pedal.

We had one manual, one auto, if it was in the manual for a while, and go to use the clutch, it was the exact spot where the side edge of the brake is, and pressing your foot on the brake when you don't intend to, and are not expecting it to suddenly happen, would be quite nerve wracking for some people.

My first move from manual (what almost everyone had in the 70s) was uneventful, the later experience was due to the style of the car.

Not strange at all.

ETA: if you can't drive a manual prepare to pay through the nose for an auto in Europe, as in more than twice the price in our case, so it was manual.  Most of their cars are manual, and they know the Americans will pay the price of the autos so that's what they charge.

Edited by born.a.girl, 13 March 2019 - 06:58 PM.

#15 Jenflea

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

I've never driven an auto, only ever manuals so yeah, I think I'd struggle at first.
I'm so used to changing gears without thinking I think I'd hate an auto.

#16 Lunagirl

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

I have a friend who has only ever driven manuals and says she wouldn't know what to do in an auto. So your colleague isn't alone.

#17 Claudia Jean

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

I rarely drive autos and when I do I hate it, i always feel like my accelerations are much jerkier driving slowly, ie starting and reversing.

#18 #YKG

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

I rarely drive auto, I struggle to swap over, I have stalled an auto car far too many times (yes it does take talent to do this).
Some people just can’t go from one to the other.

#19 c.sanders

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:14 PM

View Post#YKG, on 13 March 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

I rarely drive auto, I struggle to swap over, I have stalled an auto car far too many times (yes it does take talent to do this).

How pray tell

#20 Summer81

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

I just can't see how you can stall an automatic unless there's an engine fault?

#21 ~J_F~

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:27 PM

I have been pondering the stalling an auto for the last couple of hours and I have nothing... it would take some special driving for that to happen!

#22 IamtheMumma

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

You are skilled!

#23 PocketKitty

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

So when I first got to Australia I got a hire car. Was an auto. Had to walk back to the office to check how to drive it. I assumed you just put it in D for drive and R for reverse. P for Park and N for nothing because that's what you use it for. That was a total guess though. I'd never driven one, never been driven in one.  The gear stick controls were 100% meaningless to me really.

I now have an auto and hate it. The lag time in every auto is way too long and I've now driven some pretty suped up autos. Nothing compares to controlling your own slipping clutch.

#24 Future-self

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

I think it’s really brave of her to admit that she feels out of her depth and not confidant to handle an unfamiliar car safely. I hope your office kept it’s unprofessional mocking to itself.

I wish more people would take driving this seriously TBH

Edited by Future-self, 13 March 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

View PostZippypeaks, on 13 March 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

DH is English and he says the same but although I don't drive my self (I am licensed)  I told him the basics and he was fine first go.

And no I am not saying every one gets it first go!

Edited by seayork2002, 13 March 2019 - 09:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.