3 scans and its free

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nasty Teens

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

Going through the self service checkouts at woolies and the bread from the bakery wouldn't scan. Had trouble wth bread rolls on Sunday as apparently the printer in the bakery is not printing darkly enough. Anyway, asked for help and was told "you will probably get it for free", attendant tried and it wouldn't scan. Attendant then placed the bread in my bag and said "it's yours. 3 scans and its free." Is this true? Or was it a case of cbf?

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

A case of CBF I’d say, lol. Otherwise she has to call for a price, wait for someone to check it, call for a supervisor, wait for them to manually enter the price, and by then you would be pretty annoyed and she would be too.

#3 Pooks Combusted

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

If there’s a barcode all she has to do is log in and type the number in. I worked on those machines for 5 years. She was just incompetent.

#4 just roses

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Anytime that's happened to me, they just type the barcode number in.

#5 ~J_F~

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

A case of CBF.

It’s not that hard to find an item with a barcode in the system and I haven’t worked checkouts in a bloody long time, so they are much flasher and contain more info now...

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

CBF as PP have said.

#7 ~J_F~

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 13 March 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

A case of CBF I’d say, lol. Otherwise she has to call for a price, wait for someone to check it, call for a supervisor, wait for them to manually enter the price, and by then you would be pretty annoyed and she would be too.

No she didn’t... she just had to manually type the barcode in or use the search function to find the item.

She couldn’t be bothered.

#8 #YKG

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:15 PM

No such policy, she just cbf, wouldn’t have been hard for you to manually enter the barcode since that option is available.

Only scanning policy is if scans higher then shelf price first item is free, second at shelf price.

#9 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

Definitely not a blanket rule.  Lately woolies staff will try anything to get out of giving you the free item when something scans up at the higher price. I suspect they have  been told to make it difficult. So I cant imagine this would be a rule.

#10 arc en ciel

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Our Woolies has trouble with it's bakery printer too. They try it a few times then just give it to us for free. Has happened several times lately.

#11 JomoMum

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

I’d say CBF, as other pps have said.

I bought some avocados the other week, but they weren’t in the fruit section at all - the guy just told me to put then in the bag. I was tempted to go grab another 4 ..

ETA it could possibly let be considered along the same line at the scanning policy where it’s free if it scans at a different price? But still, I’d say she just CBF.

Edited for terrible spelling.

Edited by JomoMum, 15 March 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#12 Luci

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:11 PM

I have had items not scan & they just type the barcode in manually.  However I also shop at Woolies & recently had a bag of bread rolls that wouldn’t scan. The supervisor told me I could have them for free.

#13 fancie shmancie

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

I tried to buy some oyster mushrooms at Woolies a few years ago.  Wouldn't scan, assistant typed in the barcode, no luck.  Called for a supervisor, who repeated procedure, still no luck.  Called for the Fruit and Veg supervisor - rinse and repeat, no luck so refused to sell the oysters to me.

WTF?!

#14 fancie shmancie

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:21 PM

^
won't let me edit.

Should say so they refused to sell the oyster mushrooms to me.

#15 BECZ

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

I've heard people mention it a few times, so I do wonder if there was some policy that they had.
Back in the day when I ran the front end at Coles, if an item didn't scan and we either didn't have a 'max' (the thing staff walk around scanning things with, not sure what they're called these days) or there was nobody in the department to do a manual price check, I would just guesstimate, but at roughtly half the price I thought it was and then a little bit less.
Very strange to refuse to sell an item to a customer.

Edited by BECZ, 15 March 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#16 Treasure Island

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

At mine they always type it in if it doesn't scan. We have the same issue, we also have products just disappear from the look up section as well.

#17 fancie shmancie

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostBECZ, on 15 March 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

I've heard people mention it a few times, so I do wonder if there was some policy that they had.
Back in the day when I ran the front end at Coles, if an item didn't scan and we either didn't have a 'max' (the thing staff walk around scanning things with, not sure what they're called these days) or there was nobody in the department to do a manual price check, I would just guesstimate, but at roughtly half the price I thought it was and then a little bit less.
Very strange to refuse to sell an item to a customer.

I know, I thought he was joking when he said he couldn't sell it to me.  I'd been buying the little trays of them on and off for ages for the same price ($2.99 or $3.99 from memory) from other Woolies stores and would have been prepared to pay whatever it was that I usually paid, but because they didn't have it in their system I missed out.  Still can't believe it happened.

#18 First@35

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Not sure about scans, but my local coles told me if the price scanned is not the marked shelf price, then it's free.

I bought some ice creams a while ago because they were on special.  They scanned at the original price.  Free.

#19 #YKG

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

View PostFirst@35, on 16 March 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

Not sure about scans, but my local coles told me if the price scanned is not the marked shelf price, then it's free.

I bought some ice creams a while ago because they were on special.  They scanned at the original price.  Free.

That’s correct it’s the retail scanning code of practice that by law if the item scans higher then the shelf price the first item is free & second item at shelf price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.