Western Sydney hospital recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dreamweaver80

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Hi ladies,

Currently 6 weeks pregnant with #2. We've recently moved to Western Sydney and I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go for pregnancy management. For our son, we had a private OB, who was recommended by our IVF doctor, and delivered at RPA. We now live a good hour drive from there now and I don't think we want to pay the private costs this time (still undecided though).
We're closest to Blacktown but I can't find any recent reviews on the web except that it's a very busy hospital. I guess Westmead public would be an option too?? Not considering private as we don't have insurance.
We don't even have a local GP here yet so I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance!

#2 Jamelex

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

Blacktown midwifery group practice is fabulous. Absolutely no hesitation recommending them and if I were to have any more babies I’d happily use them again.

#3 dreamweaver80

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostJamelex, on 14 March 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

Blacktown midwifery group practice is fabulous. Absolutely no hesitation recommending them and if I were to have any more babies I’d happily use them again.

Thanks Jamelex!

Blacktown would be handy as it's less than 10km. I'm sorry to ask something which might be a very obvious question but do I just go to a GP and ask for a referral to midwife group practice? I just don't really understand all the options at a public hospital- basically this is like I'm pregnant for the very first time again as it's going to be so different from my first!

#4 opethmum

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

I would not go to Westmead, they are very strict on borders and if you are closest to Blacktown they will not take you at all. If you can afford private then Norwest Hospital in Bella Vista is great, I had all mine there. Blacktown is good and if you are having a low risk pregnancy then they may offer you midwife led care at home.

Blacktown has heaps of GPs and I guess go to your closest one and see if you like them. You can Dr shop to your hearts content. There are loads of super clinics too. I have heard good things about Eastbrooke Medical Centre, Pacific Medical Centre, Patrick St Medical Centres, Kildare Rd Medical Centre and Blacktown Medical Centre.

Good luck.

#5 Jamelex

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

I’d contact the Blacktown MGP FB page first to register your interest and ask them what you need to do, and get a GP referral.

#6 Greatmum

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

I live closer to BLACKTOWN but when to westmead no worries. Went they the midwife group.

#7 BECZ

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

I had my youngest two at Westmead.  I was initially contacted early in my last pregnancy and told that I need to go to Blacktown.  Even when I told them that I was high risk and that my neurologist is based there, it wasn't enough, but when I questioned why I was sent there last time, she said that if I had been there before they would take me (pretty sure that they have to).  The real reason was that we lived at Carlingford at the beginning of my pregnancy, but I just played dumb.

Had one experience there that was a bit dodgy (resulted in an unplanned home birth when I was meant to be monitored from early contractions, but said midwife got demoted and sent to another hospital as a result) and another fantastic one.  Not quite as good as Royal North Shore, but close.

I've heard lots of average to good experiences for Blacktown.  There are some that think it's fantastic, but they also had a really poor experience somewhere else first, so I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.  Things that they bragged about were standard at hospitals that I went to.

#8 ~Bob~

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

I did caseload at westmead and it was awesome. Better than a private ob.

#9 Jennifaraway

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

The mum of DS6's best friend is a midwife at Blacktown (the whole family is just lovely so I'd expect her to be a wonderful midwife). I've heard good things about the natal side there from quite a few people. I had a horrid experience there after a miscarriage, but I'm not sure that was entirely down to the hospital! It's definitely very busy - it covers a large population.

I've seen recommendations for Hawkesbury if you can get in. If you're in the Hills District Mums FB group you could do a search on hospitals and obs, there have been heaps of posts. There's also likely to be a HDM due in group for local mums due in your month (or around then), which is great for meeting local families (I ended up in a mothers group which turned into a playgroup for DD born in 2015).

I went to Norwest (so private healthcover, private ob, etc) and it's pretty nice. Good food! I had two c-sections. But you'd need to get an ob right now if you're thinking of going private - they get booked out quickly.

For GPs, The Practice Blacktown on Kildare Rd is pretty good. Bulk billed for kids but not adults (but we all go there anyway), and they have lovely nurses for vaccinations etc.

#10 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

Welcome to the area, OP!

For after baby is here, there is also a new paediatric practice on Newton Road near the intersection with Lancaster St.  Will be going past tomorrow so will try to grab details and pm you.

Kildare Road Medical Centre and Eastbrooke Medical Centre would be my picks for medical practices (Kildare Road probably has more female doctors) if you need to find a new GP.

#11 dreamweaver80

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Wow thanks everyone! All of this is very helpful.

So... I think Westmead is out because my suburb (Glenwood) is not on the list of suburbs within their catchment.

Norwest is also out (although it's so close!) because we don't have private cover.. Before I got pregnant with my first I rang up about private insurance and the person on the other end of the phone basically talked me out of it.  I couldn't justify paying a year or more of premiums to spend 2 or 3 nights in a fancy hospital. Plus we knew we were going to be paying for IVF but didn't know how much or for how long so we just had to cut expenses wherever we could. I got a private room in the public hospital (RPA) with my first and it was fine. Honestly, DH brought me food and I didn't sleep the first 30 hours anyway because baby could not bear to be separated from me. I'll be keen to get out of the hospital as soon as possible this time as there won't be any first-time mother nerves and hopefully no recovery after c-section!

I haven't checked Hawkesbury but I might later today if I have time.

I've made an appointment with a GP at the Children's Doctor in Castle Hill as I take my son there and feel comfortable with the doctors. I talked the ear off of the receptionist there, explaining my circumstances and she seemed confident the doctor I'm booked to see will be helpful. Hopefully she knows about Blacktown Hospital as Castle Hill would be serviced by Westmead and Norwest, I would think?

Does anyone know how soon I have to get booked into a hospital? I'm 6.5 weeks today.

Thanks again all!

#12 dreamweaver80

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostJennifaraway, on 14 March 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

The mum of DS6's best friend is a midwife at Blacktown (the whole family is just lovely so I'd expect her to be a wonderful midwife). I've heard good things about the natal side there from quite a few people. I had a horrid experience there after a miscarriage, but I'm not sure that was entirely down to the hospital! It's definitely very busy - it covers a large population.

I've seen recommendations for Hawkesbury if you can get in. If you're in the Hills District Mums FB group you could do a search on hospitals and obs, there have been heaps of posts. There's also likely to be a HDM due in group for local mums due in your month (or around then), which is great for meeting local families (I ended up in a mothers group which turned into a playgroup for DD born in 2015).

I went to Norwest (so private healthcover, private ob, etc) and it's pretty nice. Good food! I had two c-sections. But you'd need to get an ob right now if you're thinking of going private - they get booked out quickly.

For GPs, The Practice Blacktown on Kildare Rd is pretty good. Bulk billed for kids but not adults (but we all go there anyway), and they have lovely nurses for vaccinations etc.

Thank you for your in-depth advice. I think I will go to Blacktown, I do hear mostly good things about the maternity unit just not the hospital as a whole. I had my first baby at RPA and had a dreadful experience with the emergency dept there a few months before he was born. I came in with an infection, was admitted, then was left to spend the night in the waiting room. Had I not approached a nurse crying that I was in pain (and 25 weeks pregnant), I'm sure I would have been just left on the chairs there. That nurse did get me a recliner and a shot of morphine but still I didn't get a bed until about 18 hours after being admitted. The experience of having my baby there was the complete opposite, thankfully.

I wanted to ask about your c-sections if it's not too personal? My first was a c-section and I'm quite keen to not have another one, mostly because we'll have a toddler this time and I can't see how I'm supposed to avoid lifting him or driving places for 6 weeks. Especially when DH can't take that much time off work and we have no family in this country to help. Were yours out of necessity or a choice? I'm quite curious to know how it plays out with a second birth when the first is c-section. Everyone I know to have one c-section automatically has another for subsequent children. It's totally ok if you don't want to share, just thought I'd ask!

#13 dreamweaver80

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:40 AM

View Postfancie shmancie, on 14 March 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

Welcome to the area, OP!

For after baby is here, there is also a new paediatric practice on Newton Road near the intersection with Lancaster St.  Will be going past tomorrow so will try to grab details and pm you.

Kildare Road Medical Centre and Eastbrooke Medical Centre would be my picks for medical practices (Kildare Road probably has more female doctors) if you need to find a new GP.

Thank you fancie, always happy to get recommendations!

#14 Jennifaraway

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

View Postdreamweaver80, on 15 March 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Thank you for your in-depth advice. I think I will go to Blacktown, I do hear mostly good things about the maternity unit just not the hospital as a whole. I had my first baby at RPA and had a dreadful experience with the emergency dept there a few months before he was born. I came in with an infection, was admitted, then was left to spend the night in the waiting room. Had I not approached a nurse crying that I was in pain (and 25 weeks pregnant), I'm sure I would have been just left on the chairs there. That nurse did get me a recliner and a shot of morphine but still I didn't get a bed until about 18 hours after being admitted. The experience of having my baby there was the complete opposite, thankfully.

I wanted to ask about your c-sections if it's not too personal? My first was a c-section and I'm quite keen to not have another one, mostly because we'll have a toddler this time and I can't see how I'm supposed to avoid lifting him or driving places for 6 weeks. Especially when DH can't take that much time off work and we have no family in this country to help. Were yours out of necessity or a choice? I'm quite curious to know how it plays out with a second birth when the first is c-section. Everyone I know to have one c-section automatically has another for subsequent children. It's totally ok if you don't want to share, just thought I'd ask!

I just can't help giving out too much information! My job is an editor in a research area so it's a habit :D

Yeah I had a pretty horrid time in Blacktown emergency (was in there the first time with the MC, then again a few days after I was discharged, with sepsis). Luckily DH is really awesome at being a pain in the neck and getting attention.

First c-section was necessity - I was induced on my due date because DS was measuring big (and he was bigger! 4.65kg), then that didn't do much, and eventually his heart rate skyrocketed so I went for an emergency c-section. My ob is really great at c-sections, luckily.

Second one I didn't want to go through that again so I went for an elective c-section. DD was measuring fairly large too (although she ended up smaller), and of course, being her (she's the queen of the universe), she came early (three days before we were booked) so I got another emergency c-section. Apparently lots of bleeding with that one so probably lucky I had a caesar - although in hindsight, I would probably have been fine with a VBAC but we didn't know that at the time. I didn't want another round of baby getting stuck etc etc. At a private hospital you get 5 nights after a c-section so that was good too.

DH gets 6 weeks paternity leave (yay government job) so that was really helpful. I was driving in about 3 weeks I think? Can't remember. DS was nearly 3yo and could get up onto his bed and the change table by himself so I didn't need to lift him much (and he was nearly 18kg at that point!). It would be harder with a younger toddler of course.

Oops, another essay. Hope that helps though!

#15 dreamweaver80

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

View PostJennifaraway, on 15 March 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

I just can't help giving out too much information! My job is an editor in a research area so it's a habit :D

Yeah I had a pretty horrid time in Blacktown emergency (was in there the first time with the MC, then again a few days after I was discharged, with sepsis). Luckily DH is really awesome at being a pain in the neck and getting attention.

First c-section was necessity - I was induced on my due date because DS was measuring big (and he was bigger! 4.65kg), then that didn't do much, and eventually his heart rate skyrocketed so I went for an emergency c-section. My ob is really great at c-sections, luckily.

Second one I didn't want to go through that again so I went for an elective c-section. DD was measuring fairly large too (although she ended up smaller), and of course, being her (she's the queen of the universe), she came early (three days before we were booked) so I got another emergency c-section. Apparently lots of bleeding with that one so probably lucky I had a caesar - although in hindsight, I would probably have been fine with a VBAC but we didn't know that at the time. I didn't want another round of baby getting stuck etc etc. At a private hospital you get 5 nights after a c-section so that was good too.

DH gets 6 weeks paternity leave (yay government job) so that was really helpful. I was driving in about 3 weeks I think? Can't remember. DS was nearly 3yo and could get up onto his bed and the change table by himself so I didn't need to lift him much (and he was nearly 18kg at that point!). It would be harder with a younger toddler of course.

Oops, another essay. Hope that helps though!

Definitely helpful!

Don't worry about writing too much, I tend to be very wordy. It's been a while since I've written professionally but it's still a passion that spills over into everything!

Your situation sounds similar to mine. My boy was measuring big from very early, but the main concern from my doctor's point of view was his head! I wasn't exactly concerned he wouldn't fit as I am 183 cm so my body is proportional to a tall person. I did push for a vaginal birth but then he never got turned around by 39 weeks and my OB convinced me he probably wouldn't at that stage. In the end, my anxiety about him possibly breaking his shoulder or getting stuck got to be too much and I caved and we went with the section. I don't regret it at all as he arrived safe and healthy which is the most important thing.

I do worry that if I create another big baby (which I guess is quite likely) will I just be forced to go for a natural birth in the public system. When we went to our antenatal class in the public hospital, the midwife told us that the size or positioning of the baby is not a reason to schedule a c-section. Nor is the fact you've had one previously. So is there ever a point where that decision is made, with the exception of an emergency (which I'm keen to avoid)??!!

I was also driving well before I was supposed to but again I didn't have another child to load/unload into carseat. He's already 10kg at 13 months so god knows how big he'll be when the baby is born. Probably heavy enough to lift without recovering from major surgery!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. Hope you have a great weekend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.