Jump to content

Are you spending less?


  • Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#151 Riotproof

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

I think you’ve gone off sulking now, but I was speaking to a new mum who said she had a newborn photographer who came to her home to take the photos. She bought all the props etc. I’m not sure how much editing went into the photos but she didn’t print any, just supplied the electronic ones.

Just a thought.

#152 ausfarmerswife

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:




I think other than weddings and funerals though, a lot of people would just duck into safeway, so I can imagine actual florists have issues as well.

Your quote here where you mention people ducking into Safeway for flowers can be looked at the exact same as people using there own cameras to take a quick snap.

I get time/effort goes into it but personally I know damn good photographers who charge 1/4 of others & take a better picture... so obviously the price isnt about quality.

I’m a mother with disposable income who has had newborn& family photos but again I just don’t want to waste money when I can take my own that I’m more likely to like berter

#153 born.a.girl

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

I know this is a resurrected thread, but we bought flowers on the spur of the moment from our local Coles, on Christmas Eve.  Sure, half the price of the ones from the specialty supermarket we're lucky enough to live near (supplied personally by a grower), but by Boxing day, they were on their way out.

If we'd paid twice as much (and I accept not everyone has the luxury of doing that) then they'd have lasted four times as long.


My daughter is a florist, and on two occasions in the last six months has been asked to do the funeral flowers. She travels to the wholesaler and gets them fresh.  I'm quite astonished that the flowers still look amazing a week later, and it takes two weeks for them to start looking tired.

#154 Tessied

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:51 PM

View Postausfarmerswife, on 23 March 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

Your quote here where you mention people ducking into Safeway for flowers can be looked at the exact same as people using there own cameras to take a quick snap.

I get time/effort goes into it but personally I know damn good photographers who charge 1/4 of others & take a better picture... so obviously the price isnt about quality.

I’m a mother with disposable income who has had newborn& family photos but again I just don’t want to waste money when I can take my own that I’m more likely to like berter

Yeah that was kind of the point of that quote?  That the same thing happens in other industries...

#155 Wonderstruck

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

I think your niche is variable, time poor and financially vulnerable.

Friends did newborn shoots. I was feeling pretty poor after the outlays for a new baby (and medical expenses) and couldn't justify the cost.

Further I had a difficult birth and a difficult baby. It was not often she wasnt screaming and miserable (from reflux and allergies) so she wouldn't have complied anyway. I also forgot about it in the newborn haze.

Our hospital had 2 photographers affiliated with the hospital which might be an Avenue to follow - I think they did well but to be fair I had my baby at a posh hospital so that might have had something to do with it.

My mothers group had someone come and do a shoot when all babies were 6 months at a little party we had which was nice. It was a reasonable price which we split. Each mum and child had 15 mins of photos and a few digital shots. This might be another offering that people may like.

To be honest, and this is not a dig at you or your industry but I'm a full time working mum - I barely have time to look half decent for work let a lone get us all dressed up for a professional shoot and then expect my toddler to stay clean and well dressed.

I think offering flexibility and capturing other childhood moments (like the 6 month party we had for my mothers group) and more candid options might help.

#156 MooGuru

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:34 PM

What's happening with the paid parental leave? I remember reading about how it was going to be cut back but never ended up g following it because it wasn't relevant to me. From memory changes often come into effect like 1st of January for some stuff like that.

As others have said - trends: up to probably 18 months ago most new babies I saw on FB seemed to have a newborn shot. Since then that number has been dropping pretty consistently. Maybe it's coincidence, less babies, or people do it for their first then not again but I've noticed a change recently.
Then there's the whole decluttering thing and I don't think portrait photography is a part of that kind of ideology like I can't see someone decluttering then getting more portrait photos done at the same time.

We had some pro photos done and they were a nightmare in a lot of respects. The irritations included:
-no digital copy
-lack of pricing information to the point of it feeling misleading
-the photos felt staged and unnatural
-I don't think the quality reflected the huge price

All of that would put me off using a pro photographer in future.

Oh and websites that are bad! I can't tell you how many photographers have uninformative websites!

If I visit your website I want to be able to find out:
- location/options of venue (do I have to come to you if so where are you)
- price
- what I get for that price
- good quality examples of your work that are realistically comparable to what I'll receive in terms of quality of finish.

#157 EmmDasher

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Was the latest barefoot investor book released last September/October? It’s got huge traction in my social circle as does Marie Kondo, living clean/green/zero waste etc. I think the economy is a bit shaky at the moment and there is also an incredible trend to frugality/living minimally. I have the money for professional photography but it just isn’t on the agenda for me or people I generally socialize with. We’d rather spend the money on shared experiences rather than another photograph to chuck into the pile of thousands of digital images I struggle to collate as it is.

I have also noticed that our daycare and school photos as of last year weren’t just your average awful class shot. They had a short photo shoot with each child and got lots of really lovely ‘in action’ shots with each child. The shots were so good I spent up big on that context and I didn’t have to go to any effort to organize or manage the process. Obviously that doesn’t account for the newborn market but I do think that newborn shoots are a trend that has peaked. I don’t see newborn shots anymore, they’re birthing shoots or general family in action shoots once bub is older.

Edited by EmmDasher, 06 April 2019 - 09:25 PM.


#158 EmmDasher

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

I guess the other thing that happened late last year is that the property markets in Syd/Melb really started tumbling. Young families who previously had no hope of buying may  have finally had a shot into the property market and are now cash strapped. That’s purely speculation of course...

#159 schwatzen

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

My business is a 'non essential' business. I see this every few years when there's a lot of doom and gloom in the media. So even when people have the money to spend they prefer to keep it in their pocket until things start looking up again. People are easily influenced even if it doesn't affect them personally.

As for the OP's business the people i know who get newborn and kids photography done would get it regardless. It just seems to be a rite of passage in a way. It's something they would save for if they didn't have excess funds. I am thinking that birth rates dropping may have more of an effect on business? Do you keep records of new clients compared to repeat customers?

So many of my friends and people i network with who own their own business have been seeing a downturn in the last few months. I think it's totally to be expected and has been on the horizon for sometime now. When they announced house prices falling that sealed the deal.

Diversifying is one option, just riding it out is another.

#160 Caribou

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

We work closely with photographers.

To be honest the market is absolutely saturated with photographers. We get people who think think they are the next Anne Lebotiwz, and they are not. Because it’s so saturated with phographers, it’s very hard and time consuming to find a quality photographer.

Like Pps said diversifying is an option. I work with a photographer who very carefully avoided taking up work in wedding and portraits, knowing that everyone did them. Instead she spent a good year doing free shots and a lot of unpaid work building up her portfolio. But it paid off. It got her a job working as a photographer for well known fashion brands. Mind you she did have a second job to give income.  

Am I spending less? Yes. I realise I have too much crap. And posed photos are just not my thing. Holiday memories are what line my walls.

#161 Literary Lemur

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:31 PM

People are often very indecisive spending wise before an election.

To compound that a drop in house prices makes people feel less well off even if it makes no difference whatsoever on a  day to day basis.

#162 Tessied

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 06 April 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:



We had some pro photos done and they were a nightmare in a lot of respects. The irritations included:
-no digital copy
-lack of pricing information to the point of it feeling misleading
-the photos felt staged and unnatural
-I don't think the quality reflected the huge price

All of that would put me off using a pro photographer in future.

Oh and websites that are bad! I can't tell you how many photographers have uninformative websites!

If I visit your website I want to be able to find out:
- location/options of venue (do I have to come to you if so where are you)
- price
- what I get for that price
- good quality examples of your work that are realistically comparable to what I'll receive in terms of quality of finish.


Hey, just curious - If you wanted a digital copy or pricing stuff etc, why did you end up booking the photographer you did?

I think my website is pretty clear pricing wise, and it makes it easier for me not having to explain it to everyone.

#163 MooGuru

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

View PostTessied, on 13 April 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:




Hey, just curious - If you wanted a digital copy or pricing stuff etc, why did you end up booking the photographer you did?

I think my website is pretty clear pricing wise, and it makes it easier for me not having to explain it to everyone.
It was given to us as a present by someone who really loved the service.

Eta:
Sorry I'll try to make that slightly more informative. We were given a gift voucher of several hundred dollars towards a photo shoot whilst DS was sick.
The photographer had no pricing info anywhere and wouldn't give us a ball park figure because it's an "experience" to go through the photos in the studio and select the ones you want then decide what format etc. This was already problematic for us due to circumstance but when photographer moved far away (think like from Melbourne to Brisbane style move) they kept the same policy of having to do an experience to select photos because they don't provide electronic copies.
It was an incredibly generous gift that we appreciated but we ended up paying more than we did for our wedding photos for 6 photos because we were sitting in a room looking at a photo shoot of our now deceased child being told essentially buy today or never see these photos again because we were unlikely to visit that city again.

Interestingly the people who gifted it aren't high income earners - they haven't said how much they spend but they'd used the service several times and a part of me wonders whether the photographer alters the price depending on what they think they can get from the people sitting there on the day.

Edited again to add: I may not have found it as confronting/frustrating had the circumstances been different.

Edited by MooGuru, 13 April 2019 - 02:52 PM.


#164 No Drama Please

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

MooGuru, I’m so sorry you had that shocking experience, that’s horrifying someone would ever dream of exploiting vulnerable parents at such a traumatic time :(

#165 Tessied

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 13 April 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

It was given to us as a present by someone who really loved the service.

Eta:
Sorry I'll try to make that slightly more informative. We were given a gift voucher of several hundred dollars towards a photo shoot whilst DS was sick.
The photographer had no pricing info anywhere and wouldn't give us a ball park figure because it's an "experience" to go through the photos in the studio and select the ones you want then decide what format etc. This was already problematic for us due to circumstance but when photographer moved far away (think like from Melbourne to Brisbane style move) they kept the same policy of having to do an experience to select photos because they don't provide electronic copies.
It was an incredibly generous gift that we appreciated but we ended up paying more than we did for our wedding photos for 6 photos because we were sitting in a room looking at a photo shoot of our now deceased child being told essentially buy today or never see these photos again because we were unlikely to visit that city again.

Interestingly the people who gifted it aren't high income earners - they haven't said how much they spend but they'd used the service several times and a part of me wonders whether the photographer alters the price depending on what they think they can get from the people sitting there on the day.

Edited again to add: I may not have found it as confronting/frustrating had the circumstances been different.

That's really horrible, I'm so sorry.

Many of us believe that it is THOSE photographers who damage the industry much more than the cheapie, $50 for a zillion photos type, as they create such a mistrust between public and photographer.

My pricing is pretty clear for eg (4 packages to choose from, you pay XXX towards a package on the day then pay the balance once you see them and choose).  Yet I till get people triple checking I don't have other charges on TOP of that.  Most likely because of that kind that you encountered.

One of the big no no's in our industry is not providing pricing before booking, so what they have done is definitely not the accepted standard and is just an a**hole move.




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.