Are you spending less?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#26 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

Sorry, but I have to ask...do you have evidence for that claim?

#27 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:35 AM

View Postc.sanders, on 15 March 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Do you think you need to look at other avenues to promote your business?  Does it need a refresh or some new packages and deals?

I've kinda done all that recently,  but I'm about to have a prenatal yoga teacher give out my vouchers to all her couples, so hopefully that helps.

I realise there are people who think we should charge low amounts like $100-200 but I also know that's due to simply not understanding how the money side works.

View PostEsmeLennox, on 15 March 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

Sorry, but I have to ask...do you have evidence for that claim?

What claim?

#28 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 15 March 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

Although flowers, (just looking at it as a layperson), that’s something that at times most people are going to need; weddings, birthdays, funerals, anniversaries, gift for a friend. Its something that you can quickly organise and send without having to make time and coordinate. It’s not like I can quickly grow flowers and hand them out!

I mean yes of course you might buy them a lot less but I think there’s always going to be a need for flowers at times whereas prof photography for the average person maybe once or twice in your life, you can probably do without it.

I think other than weddings and funerals though, a lot of people would just duck into safeway, so I can imagine actual florists have issues as well.

#29 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

I hope not.  It does wonders for kids being surrounded by their family photos, it promotes a sense of belonging and higher self esteem!

That one.

#30 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 15 March 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

That one.

Yeah sure, there are quite a few articles about it.

https://designaglow....d-s-self-esteem

#31 born.a.girl

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

After having my own business for 25 years, I can confirm that upcoming elections always have an effect on business, which flows through to retail spending.

Can't say I totally understand it, but over those years I went through many elections and it was always the same.

Separately, there can also be a double whammy if people have any concerns about their future.  I'll always clearly remember the Jeff Kennett days in Victoria, when secondary schools were being closed, and the Vic public service was being cut back.  My sister was in one group, her husband in another.  Neither of them knew if they were going to have a job 'next year', and although they were bringing in two good incomes, there was not a cent of discretionary spending going on.

Once both of their jobs were secure, not only were they comfortable with discretionary spending again, they had a pool of funds that were previously being put away 'for a rainy day'.

That exactly reflected what happened with my business, too (which involved very discretionary spending).

#32 ~J_F~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

Just another way I have screwed my kids over :lol:

#33 Riotproof

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

The personal bias is evident.

#34 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 15 March 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

The personal bias is evident.

Huh?

#35 Moukmouk

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

Yeah sure, there are quite a few articles about it.

https://designaglow....d-s-self-esteem

How about something that isn't written by a photographer trying to drum up business? That doesn't quote a 40 year old study. Seriously, I think my kids get their sense of belonging and self esteem from their everyday interactions with us. My mother had those beautifully styled family portrait photos lining the stairs. We had a seriously dysfunctional family. I get you're trying to build business but comments like that tend to rub people up the wrong way.

#36 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostMoukmouk, on 15 March 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

How about something that isn't written by a photographer trying to drum up business? That doesn't quote a 40 year old study. Seriously, I think my kids get their sense of belonging and self esteem from their everyday interactions with us. My mother had those beautifully styled family portrait photos lining the stairs. We had a seriously dysfunctional family. I get you're trying to build business but comments like that tend to rub people up the wrong way.

Wow okay.  It's something I believe in, and I've seen it with my own clients over 7 years, kids LOVE seeing their photos up.  It's not a 'slight' on anyone and I'm baffled anyone is offended by "kids love seeing photos of their family up on the wall'.

Anyway this really is not what I need to talk about right now when I kinda need to have business to feed said family, but thanks for bothering to focus on ONE comment about something I believe in.

It doesn't have go be PROFESSIONAL photos, but photos of their family is good for anyone.

Edited by Tessied, 15 March 2019 - 10:48 AM.

#37 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Wow okay.  It's something I believe in, and I've seen it with my own clients over 7 years, kids LOVE seeing their photos up.  It's not a 'slight' on anyone and I'm baffled anyone is offended by "kids love seeing photos of their family up on the wall'.

Anyway this really is not what I need to talk about right now when I kinda need to have business to feed said family, but thanks for bothering to focus on ONE comment about something I believe in.

View Postborn.a.girl, on 15 March 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

After having my own business for 25 years, I can confirm that upcoming elections always have an effect on business, which flows through to retail spending.

Can't say I totally understand it, but over those years I went through many elections and it was always the same.

Separately, there can also be a double whammy if people have any concerns about their future.  I'll always clearly remember the Jeff Kennett days in Victoria, when secondary schools were being closed, and the Vic public service was being cut back.  My sister was in one group, her husband in another.  Neither of them knew if they were going to have a job 'next year', and although they were bringing in two good incomes, there was not a cent of discretionary spending going on.

Once both of their jobs were secure, not only were they comfortable with discretionary spending again, they had a pool of funds that were previously being put away 'for a rainy day'.

That exactly reflected what happened with my business, too (which involved very discretionary spending).

Yeah that's a good point.

#38 just roses

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:51 AM

OP, a friend is a professional photographer. She's done a few things to set herself apart from the average mumtographer picking up a camera and putting out a shingle.

You may be all over this already, but thought I'd mention just in case.

1. She got herself AIPP accredited as a professional photographer. Few of the 'photographers' I see popping up on social media seem to be, so this is a point of difference that can give clients confidence.
2. She runs basic workshops to teach people how to use their cameras and to frame shots better.
3. She has diversified from the traditional family photos and does different sorts of shoots - including fly-on-the-wall photos of families just doing normal life at home.

#39 Cimbom

I also work in a creative field and find that many people often devalue these types of areas as not being real "skills" and just fluff/fun, therefore they don't want to spend money on it. They believe in the whole idea that you should just be happy with the exposure and not expect to make a living from something that is also fun. You really need to build and maintain a niche - it can be hard work though.

#40 TrixieBelden

You don’t have the stuff about self-esteem from staged photos in the brochure do you?

I’d laugh pretty hard and move on to another business if I saw that.

#41 Moukmouk

Um, because you didn't say "kids love seeing photos of their family up on the wall " , you said "It does wonders for kids being surrounded by their family photos, it promotes a sense of belonging and higher self esteem!"

Very different tone. And I wasn't the only one who picked up on it.

#42 EsmeLennox

That’s interesting. I can see it’s possible that photos help kids with their identity...but ‘does wonders for self esteem’ might be a stretch. I’d like to see some further peer-reviewed research on it though...a quick google only turned up the Krauss guy and one other, and it seemed to be opinion based material rather than clinical evidence and data (which might be available, I don’t know...I did like a 5 minute search!). And of course most of the commentary on the benefits appeared on photography-related websites. Which kind of suggests that this guy had this idea back in the 80s and photographers have held onto it for dear life.

#43 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostCimbom, on 15 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

I also work in a creative field and find that many people often devalue these types of areas as not being real "skills" and just fluff/fun, therefore they don't want to spend money on it. They believe in the whole idea that you should just be happy with the exposure and not expect to make a living from something that is also fun. You really need to build and maintain a niche - it can be hard work though.

Yep hard, isn't it.    But I guess we all have biases about things that we really haven't thought of/had no exposure to.

#44 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostMoukmouk, on 15 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

Um, because you didn't say "kids love seeing photos of their family up on the wall " , you said "It does wonders for kids being surrounded by their family photos, it promotes a sense of belonging and higher self esteem!"

Very different tone. And I wasn't the only one who picked up on it.

Yeah, it's true.  Lots of things promote belonging and self esteem, it's just one.   I didn't say it was the only one and logic also shows I didn't say "and if you don't have any photos your kid is sad".

ANYONE can do it, it's not some elitist thing.  You can take a photo on your phone, print it at kmart, and frame it next to your bed and YEP I totally believe kids feel better in homes where they see themselves loved and cuddled on the wall or by the bed etc.

Don't agree?  That's up to you.   I believe it's true.

#45 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 15 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

That’s interesting. I can see it’s possible that photos help kids with their identity...but ‘does wonders for self esteem’ might be a stretch. I’d like to see some further peer-reviewed research on it though...a quick google only turned up the Krauss guy and one other, and it seemed to be opinion based material rather than clinical evidence and data (which might be available, I don’t know...I did like a 5 minute search!). And of course most of the commentary on the benefits appeared on photography-related websites. Which kind of suggests that this guy had this idea back in the 80s and photographers have held onto it for dear life.

Honestly, I'm about to delete that comment.  I simply meant 'it's good for kids too'.    Does everything we say need a peer reviewed scientific footnote? Goodness!

I'm not 'my business' on here, i"m a mum trying to get some ideas and yet people just want to argue about something where basically I'm just "yeah kids love it, I hope it's not a forgotten trend".  Geez.

#46 Riotproof

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Yeah, it's true.  Lots of things promote belonging and self esteem, it's just one.   I didn't say it was the only one and logic also shows I didn't say "and if you don't have any photos your kid is sad".

ANYONE can do it, it's not some elitist thing.  You can take a photo on your phone, print it at kmart, and frame it next to your bed and YEP I totally believe kids feel better in homes where they see themselves loved and cuddled on the wall or by the bed etc.

Don't agree?  That's up to you.   I believe it's true.

Well they do that,  don’t they? That’s the whole point of your thread.

#47 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostTrixieBelden, on 15 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

You don’t have the stuff about self-esteem from staged photos in the brochure do you?

I’d laugh pretty hard and move on to another business if I saw that.

No.  It's just my opinion.  But I'll make sure to ask for scientific data on absolutely everyone elses's claims on here and also completely ignore the point of the whole thread because of one comment.

#48 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 15 March 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Well they do that,  don’t they? That’s the whole point of your thread.

Thanks for your help and concern.

#49 Cimbom

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostTessied, on 15 March 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yep hard, isn't it.    But I guess we all have biases about things that we really haven't thought of/had no exposure to.

Actually I think it's the opposite. People think they know about photography because they take some photos for Instagram and therefore think it's not worth paying for. If the skill was more "foreign" then I think there'd be more of a willingness to pay for it

#50 Tessied

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

View Postjust roses, on 15 March 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

OP, a friend is a professional photographer. She's done a few things to set herself apart from the average mumtographer picking up a camera and putting out a shingle.

You may be all over this already, but thought I'd mention just in case.

1. She got herself AIPP accredited as a professional photographer. Few of the 'photographers' I see popping up on social media seem to be, so this is a point of difference that can give clients confidence.
2. She runs basic workshops to teach people how to use their cameras and to frame shots better.
3. She has diversified from the traditional family photos and does different sorts of shoots - including fly-on-the-wall photos of families just doing normal life at home.

Thanks, lots of good ideas :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.