Strike for climate change

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 ~J_F~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

Did any EBers kids strike today?

I think it’s awesome that these kids are out there, standing up for this!

https://www.9news.co...-news-australia

#2 spr_maiden

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:07 PM

We are out of town atm so no unfortunately.  But there's a group going from or small school

#3 Lees75

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:27 PM

Our geography teacher is taking his yr 8 class today. Not quite a strike when it is an excursion with your teacher,  but still cool!

Edited by Lees75, 15 March 2019 - 04:17 PM.

#4 kyrrie

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

DD went with some of her friends and DH to supervise. She organised it and she’s a kid who deals with so much anxiety in social interactions. I’m so proud of her.

#5 kadoodle

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

DS1 and several of his friends are going. Hopefully he doesn’t lose his myki.

#6 Fresh Start

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

I took my primary schoolers and there were three others from school. Heaps of primary kids.

#7 steppy

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Are they going on strike for a really long time?

#8 Wahwah

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

Mine went (I accompanied the primary school aged kid, the big one went with his mates). It was amazing to see thousands of young people expressing their views with such eloquence, passion and urgency.

I can't wait til they can vote.

#9 casime

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

I found the kid that got picked up in the 4WD today to be driven to the city for the strike to be particularly amusing.

#10 lost_eb-er!

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

View Postcasime, on 15 March 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

I found the kid that got picked up in the 4WD today to be driven to the city for the strike to be particularly amusing.

Why?

#11 fancie shmancie

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:59 PM

View Postlost_eb-er!, on 15 March 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

Why?

You can't work that out?

Because the kid (with or without accompanying adult) travelling by public transport would have been much less environmentally damaging than being chauffeured to a climate change protest in a 4WD!

#12 ~J_F~

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

View Postkyrrie, on 15 March 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

DD went with some of her friends and DH to supervise. She organised it and she’s a kid who deals with so much anxiety in social interactions. I’m so proud of her.

Thats awesome. How amazing that she was able to stand up and put in action such a thing.

View Postkadoodle, on 15 March 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

DS1 and several of his friends are going. Hopefully he doesn’t lose his myki.

Haha fingers crossed for you.

View PostFresh Start, on 15 March 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

I took my primary schoolers and there were three others from school. Heaps of primary kids.

Thats great. I think its important kids learn that we can make a difference if we stand up together.

View PostWahwah, on 15 March 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

Mine went (I accompanied the primary school aged kid, the big one went with his mates). It was amazing to see thousands of young people expressing their views with such eloquence, passion and urgency.

I can't wait til they can vote.

Me too. I think thats why the government is so outspoken on kids trying to implement change because they know one day they will be the ones who get to vote...

View Postlost_eb-er!, on 15 March 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

Why?

Because you cant possible stand up against something unless you are living the perfect life already.

Note the sarcasm!!

Edited by ~J_F~, 15 March 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#13 lost_eb-er!

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

View Postfancie shmancie, on 15 March 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

You can't work that out?

Because the kid (with or without accompanying adult) travelling by public transport would have been much less environmentally damaging than being chauffeured to a climate change protest in a 4WD!

Right.

I guess I just find it ironic that the kids understand climate change better than the adults. We need broad, systemic change at a national level to stop our planet burning. We absolutely need to stop the Adani mine going ahead. Its annual per capita emissions will be three times that of New Delhi.

CO2 dense industries (like energy producers) want you to think that small, individual actions (like driving not your car) will make a difference. They won't. Forcing those companies to invest in renewables will.

Thankfully the strikers understand this distinction.

And good on the kids who went. Even the ones who went in 4WDs. For the record, I took my two preschoolers in on PT. But I wouldn't have been ashamed to drive.

#14 steppy

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Yes but there's not much courage of conviction in that. Was the kid 10 or something?

#15 TrixieBelden

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:19 PM

View Postcasime, on 15 March 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Did you have any other thoughts about the protest, or about the ways in which we might tackle climate change as a society?

Bit sad to imagine an adult watching this on TV with a smug smirk on their face over the actions of a child.

#16 Gudrun

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

Babyboomer here but I went.  Thousands and thousands of impressive young people.  Uplifting.

#17 steppy

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

All they have to do to have a real impact is not have children https://www.theguard...-climate-crisis

#18 lost_eb-er!

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

View Poststeppy, on 15 March 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

All they have to do to have a real impact is not have children https://www.theguard...-climate-crisis

There is lots of subjective opinion in that article and zero actual science. But nice try. Do you work for the Australian?

#19 Fresh Start

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostGudrun, on 15 March 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

Babyboomer here but I went.  Thousands and thousands of impressive young people.  Uplifting.

It was heartening to see so many generations there - from primary schoolers to grandparents.

On our walk from where we parked an older gentleman saw their signs and told my kids he thought they were doing a great thing today.

Edited by Fresh Start, 15 March 2019 - 03:38 PM.

#20 Sweet.Pea

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

I love this! Even just for them to be a part of change and try to make a difference.

I find it amusing about the student being dropped off in a 4WD, BUT PT is terrible in some places and you don't know what that family does on their weekends or even how many there are in it. So a little hard to judge.

An amazing saying I heard a while ago (no idea who by) - "the world doesn't need a few people doing zero waste perfect, it needs billions doing it imperfectly."

#21 Chapvane

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

DS 2 went today with a group of friends - yr 7.

I think half his school went today.

DS 1 wanted to but couldn’t go because he had a CAT today.

#22 kadoodle

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

View PostGudrun, on 15 March 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

My parents and MIL all caught the vline down to Melbourne to attend. Dad had a captive audience to reminisce about his days marching against conscription.

#23 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

guess I just find it ironic that the kids understand climate change better than the adults. We need broad, systemic change at a national level to stop our planet burning.

I find it disheartening that people would rather judge a kid for getting themselves there to take part in a protest based on their mode of transport.  Why not celebrate their attendance?

Kids don't buy cars.  This kid might well buy an electric car one day.  

I am so proud of the kids who are taking part in a protest, taking an interest in politics and how they can make a change.  Good on them.

I wonder how many of our politicians are going to come out again today to discredit them and call them future  dole-bludgers.

#24 lost_eb-er!

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 15 March 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

I find it disheartening that people would rather judge a kid for getting themselves there to take part in a protest based on their mode of transport.  Why not celebrate their attendance?

Kids don't buy cars.  This kid might well buy an electric car one day.  

I am so proud of the kids who are taking part in a protest, taking an interest in politics and how they can make a change.  Good on them.

I wonder how many of our politicians are going to come out again today to discredit them and call them future  dole-bludgers.

I cannot like this enough

#25 Mrs Claus

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

My 16 year old went. Wish I’d done more of that sort of thing at her age

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.