Fiji Questions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 3rd time lucky

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

Hi All,

We are doing our first overseas trip with our two primary school aged kids later this year - to Fiji!

It's official - as we have booked the flights.

Now just trying to finalise accommodation.

We are 99% set on a 2 bedroom accommodation at Hilton Denarau Island. So if anyone has recent info or feedback on that I'd love to hear it!

We know Denarau doesn't have the best beaches, but travelling with kids we feel more comfortable staying on the mainland and doing day trips.

So - after any tips and experiences.

What are some good kid friendly day trips to islands / inland?

Is Kula Wild life park worth the drive if staying on Denarau?

Can you hire a car at Port Denarau to drive around the island for a day?

Will I be ok taking my multivitamins in Checked luggage?

All advice and tips appreciated :)

#2 Elsegundo

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

We really enjoyed hilton denaru but it is much more for adults I think. We went to castaway for a few days too and that was more fun for kids. Snorkeling, kayaking, kids club, they were a bit free-er there if that makes sense. Denaru we sat by pool more, less kids options.

There's a bus around denaru called bula buss which takes you to port and between the resorts. Can't remember if it was cheap or free, but that was quite good for transport locally.

#3 2bundles

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

We hired a car at Denerau and drove to the wildlife park. It was our last day and a late flight, so it filed in a day. We stopped at the Intercontinental for lunch and a swim in the pool and the beach. The beach there is lovely.

We enjoyed it, but I’m not sure everyone would think it was worth the drive!

#4 ddasil

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

We stayed at the Hilton last May but just DH and I.  All the kids looked like they were having fun and the entertainment staff had heaps going on around the pool for the kids.  We did do a trip with our kids about 5 years ago and found staying on the mainland great.  A few day trips and lots of relaxing at the resort.  

We enjoyed Denaru, it was very laid back.  Which was just what we wanted as DH had a couple of broken ribs when we went.

#5 3rd time lucky

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:19 PM

Awesome -  that's all really helpful.

Yeah - we basically want the convenience of Denarau - lots of dining options at resorts and the marina.

We kind of like that Hilton is not known specifically as family friendly as our kids are on the older end of primary school and we don't want to be overrun with toddlers! haha - been there, done that.

We want a comfortable room with a good view - HIlton beach front rooms/apartments seem to offer that? Realistically, amongst resort time and day trips - we'd also spend chunks of time and evenings relaxing and making our own food at the accommodation.

We also have a late flight, so that's a great idea to fill in the last day.

Are you allowed to just go and use facilities at a resort like Intercontinental? Do you pay for a day pass or something?
Another one I'd love to visit is Marriot Momi Bay -looks like heaven!

Any recommendations for which island is best for a day trip from Denarau, to experience the white sand beaches and good snorkelling?

Thanks!

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

Yes, you can just go from resort to resort, swim in the pools and most allow chargeback to your room. We managed 6 days of just being on Denerau. We were going to do a day trip but the weather sucked, so we didn't.  We found enough to do swimming in different pools, canoeing, visiting the marina and playing mini golf. There also was aqua aerobics and other things happening.

#7 3rd time lucky

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Didn't realise that Kiwi Bicycle. I knew you could eat at the different restaurants, but I thought using the other resort pools was not allowed?

Any idea if it's ok taking medication  (pill) and multivitamins in my suitcase?
Probably a dumb question! I'm not very experienced with overseas travel!

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:21 PM

When we travelled (to Tahiti and Japan) we got a letter from Dr listing any medications and vitamins

#9 kerilyntaryn

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:22 PM

I just found this

https://fijihighcom....ation-into-fiji

#10 kerilyntaryn

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

Important: If you're travelling with any medication classed in Fiji as a controlled drug (e.g. pethidine, codeine, morphine) you'll need to apply in advance for approval from the Fijian Ministry of Health.
Tip: No matter where you travel, you should carry all medications (even vitamins) in their original packaging, along with their original prescription. It's also a good idea to carry a letter from your doctor explaining what the medications are (using generic names), what they're for and dosage instructions.

#11 LucyGoose

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

We have been on oolala cruises to savala island and also another day trip to tivua.  Both were fabulous for all ages.

#12 LucyGoose

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

You can walk or get the bula bus around Denarau.  Taxis are also more affordable for a family.  Then take day trips from the marina.  I wouldn’t think to hire a car.

#13 2bundles

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

View Post3rd time lucky, on 15 March 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Awesome -  that's all really helpful.
we'd also spend chunks of time and evenings relaxing and making our own food at the accommodation.

We also have a late flight, so that's a great idea to fill in the last day.

Are you allowed to just go and use facilities at a resort like Intercontinental? Do you pay for a day pass or something?
Another one I'd love to visit is Marriot Momi Bay -looks like heaven!

It was a few years ago, but the intercontinental told us if we bought lunch in the resort then we were welcome to use the facilities.

We have stayed at Momi Bay.  It is nice. Not much to do there. No real beach but can swim in the lagoon.  It would be great for a honeymoon. Not so much for a family with teens (us).

When we stayed at Denerau we planned to cook. Never did!  There aren’t any supermarkets nearby. Just basic resort stores.  Eating out and room service was just too appealing!

#14 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

The hotels didn't even blink with us using other pools. We could even sign out pool towels from other hotels. We didn't even have to spend money. We just pool hopped one day. We went October last year. And yes there are no supermarkets just 7 Eleven type stores. There was some small cafes and the golf club had a cheaper pizza resturant with live music if you want a break from hotel food.

#15 Contrebasse

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

There are lots of day cruises departing from the marina.

Denerau is ok if you are happy to spend all your time at the pool, but I personally prefer to stay on the coral coast (e.g. Outrigger or  Warwick). Snorkelling right off the beach, lots of greenery.

#16 3rd time lucky

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

We are definitely more pool people than beach people - so happy to stay on Denarau and use the pools.

A day trip or two will give us enough of an ocean swim fix.

That's helpful to know about the supermarkets - or lack therof.

If anything our meals would be smple stuff like cheese toasties after big breakfasts and lunches.

Just having facilities to cook the basics if we don't want to go out to eat every meal is appealing.

Ok - sounds like a no to hiring a car. We'll just taxi or bus if needed.

Thanks all.

#17 2bundles

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

Driving was fine, but you don’t need a car the whole time. Just hire it on your last day and drop it back at the airport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.