Jump to content
MC at 13 weeks. What to expect?
11 replies to this topic
Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:57 AM
I had my NIPT bloods and scan booked for yesterday and the scan showed no heartbeat.
They say it would have only happened this week as baby measured at correct size.
I guess Im just scared and don't know what to expect now?
I have a GP appointment this morning.
Will I have to miscarry naturally? A d&c?
Is one worse than the other?
I wanted this baby so much.
Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:07 AM
I’m so sorry First@35. I’ve had two miscarriages at between 11 and 13 weeks. One was a spontaneous miscarriage and the other miscarriage I was in a similar position to you whereby I had a scan and found out that there was no heartbeat. After a discussion with my GP I choose to wait to allow my body to miscarriage naturally. It took about two weeks for it to happen and for me it was cathartic that my body was able to miscarriage naturally. Having said that choosing a d&c or just letting it happen in its own time is absolutely a personal choose and there are pros and cons of each.
Just know you are not alone and lean on any support that you have.
Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:07 AM
I don't know the answers to any of your questions, but I do know the heartbreak of miscarriage, and I am so very sorry.
Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:10 AM
I am so, so sorry. Life is so cruel sometimes xxxx
I have had two D&Cs (at 9 weeks and 6 weeks) and two natural MC. I preferred the D&C as it allowed me to feel some closure from the experience. The procedure wasn't painful, and is very quick.
There could also be a possibility of doing tests on what is removed to give your OB a clue as to what happened.
So sorry again, be gentle with yourself and take care
Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:18 AM
I'm so sorry. I have had one miscarriage (first trimester, 11weeks and like you discovered at a scan) - so I know that heartbreak.
I chose the d&c option - I needed the closure and the certainty of what was happening rather than an unknown timeframe. My miscarriage was also missed, in that it had happened a couple of weeks earlier so a d&c was also reccomended to me.
Whatever option you choose, be gentle on yourself
Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:22 AM
I’m only going on my experience and every one is different.
I got a positive pregnancy test but I knew from the get go that it wasn’t viable.
A scan confirmed a blighted ovum. The sonographwe said there is blood pooling and I should start bleeding no need for anything else.
It was two weeks before anything happened.
Then the bleeding started and was very heavy and the cramping was bad. I went to the hospital and they wanted to admit me to manage my pain but as I was still breastfeeding my youngest it wasn’t an option.
The scan showed that my lining was fine and didn’t require a d and c. So I was sent on my way.
I bled for six weeks. I spent an absolute fortune on pads and as it was over summer and our summer holiday it was the pits as I couldn’t use tampons and swim plus managing a super heavy flow was awful.
My Hcg levels were slow to decrease. And had to pop into blood collection centres where we were based on holiday (road trip).
Finally after six weeks the ‘products of conception’ was passed and the bleeding slowed and then stopped only to start again two weeks later.
My periods took another 18 months to return to normal. I had weird bleeding and did not believe that I was fertile over this period.
Looking back I was poorly managed and should have insisted on a d and c right from the get go. That way I would have had it over and done with straight away and my body return to normal.
However it does come down to a personal choice but I would not wish my experience on any one.
I am so sorry for your loss
Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:34 AM
Sorry for your loss. I know the pain too unfortunately. I went the D and C option at around 10 or 11 weeks (pregnancy had stopped developing weeks earlier and nothing had happened naturally). For the same reason as pp i just wanted it over, it was traumatic enough waiting to get in for the procedure. We had secondary infertility and had tried a while to fall pregnant I was a mess and don't think personally i could have handled waiting it out naturally. It is really a personal decision.
Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:22 AM
There is a middle ground. You can go to hospital overnight and ask for misoprostal. It will start contractions.
You will need to collect all the products of conception and get a nurse to check it. Once you have passed the baby you can go home. Scan a few days later if you are still bleeding heavily.
Because this has just happened you will probably see a fully formed 13w fetus (possibily still in the sac). If you can’t handle the thought of that, then go D&C.
Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:33 AM
I miscarriaged at 12 weeks. I was booked for a D&C( ultrasound showed no heartbeat and baby measured at 10 weeks). Unfortunately I went into labour and passed the fetus on the bathroom floor of the hospital the morning of the D&C. It looked like a real baby ( in my mind at least) and I was very traumatised by it. In your situation I’d ask for a D&C ASAP
Edited by luke's mummu, 22 March 2019 - 10:34 AM.
Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:15 PM
I've booked for a d&c on Monday.
I'm hoping nothing happens between now and then.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles