Apartment pets

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

My father and his 19 year old cat have just moved into an apartment. Can anyone recommend how to make the balcony cat friendly so that the cat can safely enjoy sunning himself?

I’ve been looking a folding cat runs

#2 lizzzard

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

My friend closed his balcony in with see-through netting

#3 Inkogneatoh

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

My first thought was chicken wire the balcony. But any wire or netting with a hole smaller than the cats head would do.

Then again how high up and large is the balcony? And how adventurous is the cat?

#4 chicken_bits

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

I just wanted to pop in and make sure you're aware that if your dad's building is part of an owners corp there may be guidelines/rules as to what can or can't be put on balconies.

Speaking from experience. :annoyed:

#5 foofoo

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:48 PM

We use a large crate/playpen on our balcony for our cat. We also use it our holiday house so she can sit outside and not run off.

https://www.kogan.co...ey-nw-pet-care/

Edited by foofoo, 23 March 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#6 literally nobody

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

id use a large removable crate.. don’t forget even if you put chicken wire around the balcony they can jump very high.

#7 qak

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

Google "outdoor cat run" and you can see a number of options.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

Our apartment block has restrictions on what can go on balconies like PP mentioned. I can see into other apartments (many buildings close together) and many have cat stuff set up in rooms near windows.... one cat has a sling day bed in front of one window... looks very comfy.

This kind of thing

https://www.modernpe...d-pets-cat-view

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 23 March 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#9 bubskitkat

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

The apartment is on the 2nd story and even at 19 this cat likes his freedom. Dads got cat netting but not sure if you could put it up. I think the body corporation will be very tight on what you can and can’t do.

There is a roof top garden but could not risk the cat going for a run.

#10 kadoodle

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

How amenable is puss to being walked on a leash?

#11 Inkogneatoh

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

View Postliterally nobody, on 23 March 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

id use a large removable crate.. don’t forget even if you put chicken wire around the balcony they can jump very high.
For some reason I was picturing something with the floor of the apartment above being the roof of the apartment below, even out on the balcony. So my idea of chicken wire, was roof to floor/banister. If it needed to be something that can be removed, I'd be more inclined to attached with hooks, rather than  nailing it on.

Having never lived in an apartment, would it help or hinder his cause if he used the cat proofing as some sort of trellis? Growing some passion fruit, or beans, or something else that he likes.

#12 bubskitkat

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 23 March 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

How amenable is puss to being walked on a leash?

He would be able to get out of it or he’d be so stressed. He’s not happy with the move

I’m thinking the folding create might be his best option.

#13 bubskitkat

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

If my dad buys one of those pet prams..... it’s into a nursing home for him and his cat!

#14 LittleMissPink

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

http://www.catnets.com.au

#15 bubskitkat

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

I was in Kmart today and found a portable tent that was meant to be a portable baby cot. It was on clearance for $9. If someone would use this for their baby then the cat could use it.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

View Postbubskitkat, on 23 March 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

He would be able to get out of it or he’d be so stressed. He’s not happy with the move

I’m thinking the folding create might be his best option.

He wouldn't be able to get out of a harness.

It's best to start young, though, so they understand what's happening.  Our indoor cat goes out each day on a leash. She sees the leash now and comes running.  We've recently introduced our daughter's boyfriend's kitten to it when he's here, and he quickly got the idea.

Not sure about 19, though, but there's no harm in trying.

You just get a toy dog harness, and make sure you have the handle over your wrist so they can't pull it out of your hand if they freak out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.