How to keep interest?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

my just turned 2yo has been showing interest in the potty.

We've had one sitting on our bathroom for a couple months now, so he knew it was there. Told him about it etc. and he's been saying he needs to go. and we read plenty of toilet books and he loves the books and seems to show interest. He requests to go every hour or two. but so far nothing has come out. he sits there for ages out of his own choice, and suggesting we try later is met with no! we've been on this rodeo for about a week now.

I've noticed his nappy is slightly warm when we go so I think he recognises his wee but we aren't using the toilet before that.

I don't want to do asking every 30 mins to taking him every half hour, because ultimately it seems like he needs to work it out for himself? or is that the best thing I should do?

I'm planning to go cold turkey with nappies when school holidays come around, It seems like the best time where we can be home the most. I don't want him to lose interest in the mean time. How can I encourage him to keep his interest?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

DS sat on the potty about 5 times when we went to the toilet ourselves, he just followed us in then after doing that he just pointed to the toilet then tried to climb on.

We never TT as such we just let him follow us when we needed to go, we never asked, offered or mentioned TT we just let him choose when to go. this was all at home.

I don't think we mentioned it going out we probably left nappies on him for a while, I don't remember him having any accidents out and about  but he did at day care

#3 Mose

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

I don't really know if I would worry about keeping up the interest.

After a torrid time toilet training DS, my plan with DD is to hold out as long as possible (she also asks to go but never does anything) and then do the 3 day cold turkey, straight back to nappies if we haven't made significant progress.

This is one topic on which I am not tying myself in knots again.

I honestly think if he is ready, then the appearance of undies etc will be enough to regenerate any lost interest - and if he's not best you find out quickly.

I wouldn't be asking every 30 minutes - if after a few days he can't tell you, then he probably isn't ready, even if he is showing some of the signs.

You do have to be prepared for a few days of mess to assess the situation though...

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

DD at 24m had interest and TT herself by asking to go. 6 wks later she lost all interest and refused to use the toilet. It was another 9m before she went back to the toilet.

I always followed my kids lead. I did not put them on the toilet unless they asked.

#5 Lady Gray

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:38 PM

We’re going through this right now, I’m rewarding wees with a treat but it appears I’ve over-incentivised her as she is now doing a wee every 30 mins or so!  Sometimes less!

She still doing poos in her nappy but that’s ok for now!

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:03 AM

View PostLady Gray, on 25 March 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

We’re going through this right now, I’m rewarding wees with a treat but it appears I’ve over-incentivised her as she is now doing a wee every 30 mins or so!  Sometimes less!

Be really careful tpregarding that as she can develop overactive bladder, where the bladder muscle doesn't hold a full amount. She really shouldn't be going more than 1.5 to 2 hours. My DS had overactive  bladder and it takes a while to treat, however his occured naturally.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:11 AM

After the misery I had trying to 'maintain the interest' and spending the next six months mopping up and washing the car seat cover, I'd leave it until next summer.

She was dry most nights soon after two, so I falsely assumed that she had the capacity for full control.  Obviously she had the physical capacity, but wasn't mentally ready to ditch nappies.

#8 Overtherainbow

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Once we started, we stayed home for a few full days and went with no underwear or pants. Made it easier for them to see they were going. As soon as they started, I’d move them to the potty if they hadn’t taken themselves.

I found it much easier to do in summer and when you have a quiet chunk of time. My youngest was in daycare and it took the longest.

#9 trillian42

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Just turned 2 is likely to be too early imo. Why do you want to toilet train him now? I’d suggest leaving it till he’s showing other signs of being ready.

#10 Caribou

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

View Posttrillian42, on 26 March 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

Just turned 2 is likely to be too early imo. Why do you want to toilet train him now? I’d suggest leaving it till he’s showing other signs of being ready.

Maybe you didn’t read my post. So I’ll just disregard yours.

#11 Caribou

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

I get this is a crazily sensitive topic, I’m not here to be told not to train him.

He’s giving signs of readiness, it’s simply I can’t do training until Holidays which is not far off, 2.5 weeks. My question was simply how to keep up his enthuisaism.

Thanks to everyone who gave practical advice and expirence. I think I know what to do now.  I won’t wade back in here again, and here I was thinking it was safe after DD! Haha.

Edited by Caribou, 26 March 2019 - 09:42 AM.

#12 Caribou

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

View PostMose, on 25 March 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

I don't really know if I would worry about keeping up the interest.

After a torrid time toilet training DS, my plan with DD is to hold out as long as possible (she also asks to go but never does anything) and then do the 3 day cold turkey, straight back to nappies if we haven't made significant progress.

This is one topic on which I am not tying myself in knots again.

I honestly think if he is ready, then the appearance of undies etc will be enough to regenerate any lost interest - and if he's not best you find out quickly.

I wouldn't be asking every 30 minutes - if after a few days he can't tell you, then he probably isn't ready, even if he is showing some of the signs.

You do have to be prepared for a few days of mess to assess the situation though...

Thats okay, its not my first kid. :) I remember those days of constant mess! I think it took 4 days of cold turkey for my DD to click. and then it was fine from there on most of the time. (occasional accidents!)

I think im dreading it mostly because, rugs. I am going to have to roll up all rugs and waterproof the sofa just to save on accidents.

#13 trillian42

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

It was a genuine question - you mentioned wanting to do it in the holidays so it seemed like you had a timetable in mind. There’s a difference between having interest in the potty and having ability to TT, I wondered what else gave signs of readiness.

Anyway, not trying to get into a fight about Tt and I’m not an  expert, hope all goes well.

#14 Caribou

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

View Posttrillian42, on 26 March 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

It was a genuine question - you mentioned wanting to do it in the holidays so it seemed like you had a timetable in mind. There’s a difference between having interest in the potty and having ability to TT, I wondered what else gave signs of readiness.

Anyway, not trying to get into a fight about Tt and I’m not an  expert, hope all goes well.

Ok, fair enough. I was eying off the holidays as a point to try because I wouldn't be dashing from event to event with two kids. I could do the whole stay at home solidly for a week and see how we went. if it didnt work out, try again later when theres no disruptions. I don't have a car, so if he has an accident out its going to be an unpleasant trip home.

#15 SplashingRainbows

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

My tip with training boys is to leave them in the nude outside and let them see the wee come out. They’ve got it way easier than girls IMO.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostCaribou, on 26 March 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Ok, fair enough. I was eying off the holidays as a point to try because I wouldn't be dashing from event to event with two kids. I could do the whole stay at home solidly for a week and see how we went. if it didnt work out, try again later when theres no disruptions. I don't have a car, so if he has an accident out its going to be an unpleasant trip home.

Yes, it is unpleasant in the car. That's when I kept persevering when I should have just given up and put her back in nappies.  Plus, she was out in the car with me a lot, and had many accidents in the car.  I thought at the time that it would be going backwards to go back to nappies, but it took many MONTHS, despite her mostly being dry at night.  Bizarrely, she had no trouble holding on until the nappy came off in the morning.

I think we were both just too stubborn.  I wish EB had been around and they'd have told me to give up for a few months.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.