Isofix car seat?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

I need to buy an isofix car seat for my short 4.5 year old for our new car so it can go on the seat that moves forward to access the back row (the whole seat tips, so isofix works but not traditional seat belt fixed).

Her torso needs to grow another inch before she’s even borderline for going into a booster seat.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is my only option to get a 6 month to 8 year seat? It feels like overkill at this point, but I’m not having much luck researching car seats

#2 lucky 2

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Hi,

I've moved your topic to the Car Restraints forum for more traffic.
I left a link in this forum.

Kind regards,

lucky  2

#3 Future-self

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:20 PM

You have a bit of a dilemma there. Only seats rated for 0-4 years are Isofix compatible.

So your best bet is to go to a big baby store and get her an Isofix 0-4 seat with the tallest exit markers. Hopefully you’ll get a year or two out of it until she’s too tall and can move to a booster.

Ask around if anyone you know and trust is selling one?

Edited by Future-self, 26 March 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

In Australia isofix is only on capsules and 0-4y seats. This is due to the weight limit on the vehicle's isofix points.

#5 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

What seat is she in now? Has she outgrown it? While legal to use a booster from 4yo it's not the safest option. It's recommended to use a harnessed seat as long as possible. 'type g' harnessed seats fit up to 8yo+ (Britax maxi guard, baby love ezy grow, etc)

#6 afterlaughter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

If she has a short torso a Brava would be your cheapest isofix seat. It’s 0-4 but if she isn’t meeting booster entries she may have 18m-2 years left in the 0-4. I wouldn’t go the Kompressor 4 because without AHR her head at pop out top of seat before shoulders hit the markers. 6m-8 years don’t have isofix but would last the longest and would keep your kiddo harnessed the longest.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

Like PP’s have said. Isofix is only for the 0-4 seats. And you still have the top tether strap too.

Who is climbing into the back row? My kids like to enter the car via the boot and climb over the top of the seats to get to their seats. Handy when I’m loading in the shopping.  It’s just a bit of fun for them, But could be an option if your back row is only used now and then for older kids. Who can do their own belt up.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

We actually still load people into the rear seats via the boot although we only have one left in a booster (the other 2 are taller than me).

#9 Lallalla

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the advice - I realised after I posted the isofix only in the 0-4 range. Unfortunately we have 3 kids in under 4s seats, who all therefore still need strapping in. The reason (ok one of the reasons) we are getting a car with a 3rd row is to stop having to sit them 3 in a row so one of our delightful 2 year olds can’t kick her sister in the face while strapped into the car. We have to split them up for our own sanity and before our 4 year old gets a black eye!

Am thinking it will have to be a under 4s seat then one of her sisters can sit in when she gets too tall. The price point of the 0-8 seats means it’s cheaper to go under 4s then booster anyway, weirdly.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

Beware very few cars have anchor points for 3rd row.

I have 3 so can sympathise with getting 3, 4 and under into their seats.

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

For another thought process, what about a 0-4 seat with east seatbelt access?

I've got a compaq forward facing & it's super easy to thread the searbelt through when secured by its top teather strap.

#12 Lallalla

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

Veritas Vinum Arte, on 27 March 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

Beware very few cars have anchor points for 3rd row.

I have 3 so can sympathise with getting 3, 4 and under into their seats.

Yes, we had a Hyundai dealer tell us it was illegal in Australia to install anchor points in the third row. That’s how rare it has been, but it seems to becoming more normal. In the “soft” SUV 7 seater category Mazda CX-9 and Holden Acadias both have anchor points in the back row. I figure it is also surely only a matter of time before the Kluger does too because they are its main competitors.

#13 Mooples

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:57 PM

Isuzu mux has anchor points in the back row too.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

2018 pathfinder has one anchor point in the 3rd row.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.