Very bad breast pain

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

Breastfeeding has not worked out, so I've been pumping and feeding my six week old with a bottle. I pump five times a day but not at night. We top up with formula and I also take motilium and fenugreek to increase supply. I was doing fine. Then yesterday my left breast started hurting badly. It was a specific area in the breast. I had mastitis several times with my first child, so I know it is not mastitis. And I can't feel any lumps where it hurts. I didn't sleep at all through the night because of the pain. And it's still there today. Anyone know what can cause bad breast pain other then mastitis?

#2 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:56 AM

Thrush?
Either way get yourself to the doctor Minnie.

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

#3 lucky 2

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

It might  be the beginning of mastitis,  I suppose only time will tell.
I hope it goes away!

#4 Minnie80

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, I developed a fever, so it is mastitis. :(

#5 Pocket...

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

I hope you're feeling better soon. Mastitis sucks.

#6 Minnie80

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

My supply has gone down the last two days. I read that mastitis can do that and it is temporary. How long does it take to recover?

#7 lucky 2

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

Are you taking antibiotics?
You might feel better in few day but some women need up to 10 days of treatment.
If you are taking motilium to boost milk supply you might raise your blood levels of prolactin but expressing 5 times in 24hrs may be holding you back.
You may be producing more milk but if you are removing  milk 5 times a day, that's about every 4-5 hours, milk might be pooling in your  breasts, increasing  your risk of blocked ducts/mastitis and reducing milk production.
You probably need to express more frequently atm, ie 8 per 24hrs and when the mastitis is resolved you can decide how you want to proceed.
Perhaps have a talk with your gp, you may not need to take motilium whist you have mastitis.
Good luck!

#8 Mooples

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

I was exclusively expressing for my son. At 6 weeks old I was still pumping twice over night to maintain supply. Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll be able to maintain or boost supply with stopping the pump sessions overnight. Sorry about the mastitis, it sucks.

#9 Minnie80

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

I would love to pump at night, but I have a child who is very sleepy but for some reason will only sleep on my chest at night. If I put her in her cot, she wakes up and cries. Everyone is sleeping at night, so there is no one I can hand her to  to while I pump. But yes it's a problem.

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:57 PM

Any chance your husband can get up and hold her while you pump?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.