Dog with bad arthritis and weight issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Hi,

My goldenx is 11 and has bad arthritis in her back legs and lower spine. She is on daily meds for inflammation and pain. I also sprinkle a powder on her food that helps relieve leg is issues. She is fed half a cup dry with 100grams wet twice a day.

We live in the NT and of course it's hot all year round. She lives inside all day in the aircon and goes out to the backyard 5x a day to do her business and sniff.

I have noticed lately she is panting more than normal and she is slightly overweight.

I was wondering what can I do to help my old gal lose weight even though she isn't very active. She has a sprain in one of her back legs that won't heal. She is happy to have a sniff around outside the house but her legs and spine make her a unhappy dog and she just sleeps a lot.

I just want to make her quality of life better.

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa, 30 March 2019 - 07:43 PM.

#2 kadoodle

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

How does she feel about swimming? Is there anywhere safe for that?

#3 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:51 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 31 March 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

How does she feel about swimming? Is there anywhere safe for that?

There is no where here where she can swim unfortunately. I live in the bush in Kakadu and she might get taken out by a croc. lol

#4 KA

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

Is her dry food one for senior dogs? Their metabolism slows down as they get older so switching to a senior dog food helped our dog when she was about that age.

#5 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostKA, on 31 March 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

Is her dry food one for senior dogs? Their metabolism slows down as they get older so switching to a senior dog food helped our dog when she was about that age.

No it isn't. What do you use?

#6 MarciaB

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

I have recently switched the food of one of my dogs to a "diet" food - it is the Royal Canin Satiety.

He is eating it just fine and has lost 1kg over a month without too much effort.  I also have been carefully measuring it.

https://www.royalcan...ight-management

#7 MarciaB

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

Or, my vet said if I didn't want to try the "special" food to just cut down the regular food.

So reduce by 10% for 2 weeks.

Then another 10% if no weight lost for another 2 weeks and weigh again.

My Mum swears by adding grated carrot to her dogs food if she is trying to cut them down.   My dog wouldn't eat it!

#8 KA

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 31 March 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

No it isn't. What do you use?

We use Proplan Bright Mind Senior.

#9 fols

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

If the weight gain and panting are a new development then a Vet check might be worthwhile also. There are a number of illnesses that could be causing the signs.

They can also advise on diet if everything else seems ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.