Birthday party for 4 year old at home

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf87

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

Good evening!

So we weren’t going to do a party as my DD isn’t really into it as she’s quite shy, but have decided to have a small bbq at the house and have a few buddies over, as she keeps talking about having certain daycare friends to the house.

I was thinking of inviting 6/7 kids, 4/5 from daycare and 2 from outside. No idea who will be able to come from daycare as I either don’t know the parents that well or don’t even know them to pick out from a crowd!

So what are the expectations at this age? My house isn’t huge so I was thinking just pull all the toys out, lots of food, if we randomly get a nice day maybe get the blow up pool out. Figure the kids would be happy enough or are you supposed to provide activities?

Any ideas would be much appreciated, we haven’t had a birthday party for her since her first and that was a lot easier :rofl:

#2 literally nobody

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:23 PM

I don’t really hear of daycare parties tbh, as none of the parents know each other and invitations don’t get seen many times., plus you’d have to take into account siblings as sometimes the parents don’t have availability to just bring the one child.

#3 Future-self

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

I am always a fan of getting entertainment of some sort  at home just so my house doesn’t get trashed and I’m not responsible for making sure they’re happy and playing nicely etc etc.

Otherwise keep it short - 2 hours max- and have some simple games like musical statues; egg and spoon race, a piñata, pass the  parcel. Helps break the ice for kids who don’t know each other

We’ve been invited to daycare parties so I don’t find it strange. One we missed as I didn’t see the invite in DS’s bag until  two weeks after it was held so thats always a risk . But by 4 often the kids who are invited know as the birthday child told them so will let their parents know the invite is there.

Edited by Future-self, 01 April 2019 - 09:04 PM.

#4 Wolf87

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:20 PM

View Postliterally nobody, on 01 April 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:

I don’t really hear of daycare parties tbh, as none of the parents know each other and invitations don’t get seen many times., plus you’d have to take into account siblings as sometimes the parents don’t have availability to just bring the one child.

I’ve thought about the siblings thing, there are 2/3 of the daycare ones who I don’t know the sibling situation, the rest I have accounted for. Two of the kids from daycare we are planning to invite, we have been to their birthday parties last year, so thinking it is a thing for some?

View PostFuture-self, on 01 April 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

I am always a fan of getting entertainment of some sort  at home just so my house doesn’t get trashed and I’m not responsible for making sure they’re happy and playing nicely etc etc.

Otherwise keep it short - 2 hours max- and have some simple games like musical statues; egg and spoon race, a piñata, pass the  parcel. Helps break the ice for kids who don’t know each other

We’ve been invited to daycare parties so I don’t find it strange. One we missed as I didn’t see the invite in DS’s bag until  two weeks after it was held so thats always a risk . But by 4 often the kids who are invited know as the birthday child told them so will let their parents know the invite is there.

What entertainment would you recommend? I was thinking just 2 hours, would 4 year olds get pass the parcel etc? I think my daughter would but a few of her friends are total balls of chaos who I can’t imagine sitting still for long enough :rofl:

Edited by Wolf87, 01 April 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#5 Bereckii

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Pass the parcel definitely works for this age group.

Some colouring (colouring pages printed off the net and a bunch of pencils - maybe some stickers too if you want) would keep kids busy for a litte bit.

Below are a bunch of game ideas from the net - these work / can be adjusted to work for this age group. Obviously you don't need this many - just pick a few (listed below)

I personally woud be nervous about having a blow up pool as I would be worried that I (and other adults) could get distracted and I'd worry about supervision. But you / your yard might be better catered to managing that than what I have here.

Sounds like you have already factored in siblings - good plan :-)

Good luck - have fun with it!

Party game ideas from the internet...

MUSICAL TOADSTOOLS
(Basically "Musical Chairs", but with cardboard / mats instead of chairs - a bit safer! A good one to play outside) Have one “toadstool” for each tea party guest. These can be chalked onto e.g. an outside play area. If adventurous, you could paint them onto heavy card, the grass or a covered play area. Alternatively, cut out large red cardboard circles. Add white dots to simulate the top of the toadstool. Space them around a cleared indoor play area, or outside. Leave plenty of room for skipping between them. Choose suitable music. Have some small prizes ready. Change it to fairies and elves if you prefer.

How to play:

·         Play the music.

·         Children skip (not run) in and out of the toadstools.

·         When the music stops they have to find a toadstool to stand on.

·         After the first round, take away one toadstool.

·         Play the music again.

·         When the music stops, one child won’t have a toadstool to stand on.

·         This child is out.

·         Repeat this process.

·         When there is only one child and one toadstool left, you can declare a winner for your Musical Toadstools tea party game.

·         Give out the prize to the winner, and something small to each child.

SNAKE RACES
The children form a line across the garden and a jelly snake is placed across their nose which they have to balance. They then walk/run to finish line while keeping the snake on their nose. Everyone is a winner as they get to eat the snake.

FAIRY STARS RACE
The Fairy Race Game is a fairy tea party game for up to 6 players. It can be played indoors as well as outdoors.

Preparation

·         Cut one star from gold, coloured or corrugated card for each child.

·         Use the star on a paper crown or on the end of a star wand.

·         Alternatively, punch a hole through one star point and thread wool or raffia through to hang around their necks.

·         On the back of each star write a number from 1 to 6.

·         Make sure you have two dice.

·         Choose a space with enough room to jump forward

The Fairy Stars Race - Children’s Tea Party Game

·         Roll the dice.

·         Call out the two numbers shown.

·         The children with these numbers on the back of their star take one jump forward.

·         Feet stay together when jumping.

·         The child stays where they land until their number is called again.

·         The winner is the first to the finishing line.

·         You may want a helper to act as a judge if necessary, or to help younger children.

FREE THE FAIRIES
For this game you will need one small, toy fairy figurine per player. If you don’t have figurines, you can use printed images of fairies instead. Hide the fairies around the party space. Tell the guests that their fairy friends have been captured and hidden by the evil fairy queen. Each player must find a fairy and set her free. When a player returns with a fairy, she is awarded a small prize. Suggestions for prizes include glow bracelets, glitter nail polish, bottles of bubbles and pixie sticks.

FAIRY FREEZE TAG
This game requires one player to be the good fairy and one to be the bad fairy. Give a fairy wand to each. The bad fairy’s wand has the power to freeze while the good fairy’s wand has the power to unfreeze. The rest of the players run around the play space, trying not to get tagged by the bad fairy’s wand. When a player does get tagged, she must freeze in place. The good fairy’s job is to try and unfreeze any frozen players without being caught by the bad fairy. If the good fairy is tagged, she becomes the bad fairy.

FIND THE SUPER HERO TOY
Hide a super hero toy somewhere around the party space. When kids arrive, let them know an elf is hiding from  them, and the first kid to spot him will win a prize. When the super hero is found, award the prize and, when the kids are occupied, move the super hero  to a new spot. Each time a child discovers the super hero, a small prize is awarded.

#6 People

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:23 PM

We've been to a couple of daycare 4 year old parties. They were both at local parks with nothing in the way of entertainment organised by the hosts. The kids just ran around together making up their own games and had a great time. We're thinking of doing the same for ds in May, but not sure about an outside party that time of year.

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

My niece’s 4th birthday party was this past weekend. My sister rented a bouncy castle, so the children jumped on that, she had colouring out on a low table and a long colouring sheet stuck to the wall near it (outside). Personally, I’d try to keep them out of the inside toys if you can. Keep it short - 1.5-2 hours is quite sufficient, and make sure you put the end time on the invitations. When mine were little, I’d do the children’s food at a specific time so that everybody ate something, otherwise some children eat nothing and have a melt down.

4yos definitely get Pass the Parcel (we did it at DS1’s 3rd birthday), and if you put bubbles in every wrapper, they have fun with that as well.

#8 Future-self

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

The entertainmnet that have been popular in that age group have been pony rides (at the extravagant end!) a bouncy castle and balloon animal makers. The balloon guy has been at two parties I’ve been to and was great for a small group and sort of did a show while making balloon animals for each child.

#9 chicken_bits

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

Pass the parcel only works at this age if it's appropriately supervised.

I went to a 4yos b'day party once and they attempted pass the parcel and the kids had NFI what was going on. As soon as they opened up their layer and 'got a prize', they stopped concentrating because they were distracted with their prize so the parcel just didn't get passed on or they ran off because they'd already got a prize. In the end, there were only 3 kids left (out of 12+) and it was just a disaster!

#10 Etta

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

We did one at home and I got a whole lot of cardboard boxes which are fun for stacking up or piling into. We had a few games with them. One thing that I wasn't prepared for was that even though DS was excited and really wanted a party he didn't know how to host one so when kids gave him presents he didn't know what to do with them. He didn't like being the centre of attention and shadowed his older cousin for the whole time. So I would talk to your DD about what will happen and her role (ie thank someone for the present but put it down to open later).

#11 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:07 AM

I set up a few tables/areas with things and let the children amuse themselves.

For that age group:

Table with playdough and cutters.

Tub of bubble wands or a bubble machine.

Table/wall for colouring/chalk.

Paint your own ceramic figurine (Kmart) if you're feeling brave.

If you really want to have a game 'pin the tail on the donkey' type games are easier to manage than pass the parcel.

Hiring a bouncy castle is always popular.

#12 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

Jumping castle and maybe a piñata? (Can fill with Kmart loot bag fillers or lollies or both doesn’t have to just be lollies)

At 4 with DS1 most of his friends were still 3. With DS2 most are already 4. Maybe set up ring toss (you can buy one cheap st Kmart) and some other games/stations) (messy play/craft/dress ups) I find still at 4 they just want to do their own thing especially when a lot will be 3 1/2 still.

At day care/home parties/parties where numbers not an issue I always write “siblings welcome please just let me know so I can cater for them”. DS1’s first party where it’s been a numbers thing has aligned with it being in prep. (At a place where many parents pay for siblings themselves). I was always happy to have siblings hang around for kinder/day care parties because other then the odd friend parents have stayed. Plus they were at home mostly (or a local place which had a really high limit) and before we add in friends we have 12 cousins invited and 4 friends (as in DH and our friends kids which technically should go into the family column).

#13 Wolf87

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for all these tips these are gold!!!! I’ll update with how it goes :)

#14 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

following!!

I have an almost 4yo

#15 Bono25

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

We have had parties at home for the last two years for ds, so his 4th and 5th birthday. We just had a table full of food, had abbq last year and make chicken burgers, so everyone could make their own last week.
Didn't really plan anything this year. They just ran around playing with all of the new toys. Both only went for two hours

#16 BBC

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

Bubble wands are good
Musical statues. Play music. When it stops they have to freeze. Point out the slowest one. Repeat

Bouncing balloons on a string also a winner.

At this age I would not have any games where people get out.

Also, you child may react poorly to other children playing with their toys, and possibly wrecking them. I'd put the toys away and have activity stations as suggested by a PP.

Edited by BBC, 03 April 2019 - 06:21 PM.

#17 #mocha

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Pass the parcel, put a small trinket in ever layer, something small but slightly bigger at the end.

The kids love piñata’s after many parties and upset kids ( because there is always one grabber) I now make individual ziplock bags with names on them in side the piñata.  You can even make one with a ballon and paper mache. Your kid will be able to help and paint and decorate when it’s dry.

Musical chairs and status are always fun.

Maybe some Easter craft, eg colour in a cardboard basket template that is then cut out and you can fill with a few Easter eggs as a party gift.  

I’d be wary about the pool, that’s a lot of supervision with 4 year olds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.