Dairy Ladder & Day Care

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wonderstruck

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

When did you start to relax the dietary restrictions at day care. Lily is 2 cmpa (non-ige dairy and soy) and entirely dairy and soy free at day care at the moment. (She was diagnosed late at 8 months). She started the dairy ladder at 18 months and passed arrowroots and baked dairy quickly) it took a little while to get her to try baked cheese and she passed that too. Things have been stagnant for about 6 months as she wouldnt try cheese or yoghurt.

About 2 weeks ago she finally started eating cheese and seems to have passed it. At home she eats processed dairy in snacks and baked/cooked without any restriction.

We will probably try yoghurt soon but we have a lot of issues with texture as she has aversions and eats only separate foods as she cant do mixed textures so not expecting her to try it for ages like we had with cheese. She also doesn't like custard and refuses to try it.

Would this be a time to say to day care she should be fine with the normal menu baring yoghurt and cows milk (she has oat milk/allerpro stage 3 and almond milk yoghurt (only at home as day care is nut free))?

I'd love to open her up to the whole menu as she doesn't love what they offer her sometimes and we already have issues with the texture and feeding aversion to get her to eat enough, keep her iron up and encourage a good diet.

We see the dietitian next week so will check in then but looking for personal experiences...

#2 Toddlerandme

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:15 PM

I don’t have experience with the dairy ladder, but my child was intolerant to egg and I found her daycare were really knowledgeable about dealing with it. The cook in particular was familiar with the egg ladder.

I generally let day care know once my daughter had been eating something at home for about two weeks with no issues, and they were really good about checking if they were unsure.

They now don’t have any dietary restrictions in relation to egg for my daughter but at nearly four she says I can’t eat that when they have quiche or similar and refuses because she knows she previously wasn’t allowed. Also possibly because the lovely cook freezes leftovers to keep for children who need alternatives for whatever reason and knows their favourites so my daughter knows when the other children have eggs she gets one of her favourites!

#3 Flaxen

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

I went through this with my daughter and daycare. I wouldn't tell them until she is free from allergy.
I wanted to know exactly what dairy she ate, and amounts, so I could gauge any  reactions accurately.
I only told them dairy was ok once she was on zero restrictions.
I also think it's easier on daycare workers, to be black or white on the issue, and not having to try to keep up with varying changes week to week.

#4 Toddlerandme

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

Flaxen that is a good point about not changing too often. We started a reaonable way up the ladder so did only do a couple of steps with day care, and over a period of a year or so, so not changing frequently.

One of my reasons for asking daycare to include egg in her diet was so she was eating some, as her doctor had emphasised it was important for her to keep eating it regularly to maintain tolerance. Despite her continued refusal to eat quiche, my child is much more likely to try new food at day care when the other children are eating it than at home.

#5 Wonderstruck

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

View PostToddlerandme, on 05 April 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

Flaxen that is a good point about not changing too often. We started a reaonable way up the ladder so did only do a couple of steps with day care, and over a period of a year or so, so not changing frequently.

One of my reasons for asking daycare to include egg in her diet was so she was eating some, as her doctor had emphasised it was important for her to keep eating it regularly to maintain tolerance. Despite her continued refusal to eat quiche, my child is much more likely to try new food at day care when the other children are eating it than at home.

This is the tricky part. Wanting to broaden her diet but not confuse anyone

#6 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

DD could have baked egg at daycare, but even after she no longer reacted to egg she stayed otherwise egg free at daycare. I actually couldn’t convince her to try anything eggy, so there was little point having them offer her those things anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.