Weaning help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mooples

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

Ds2 is 14 months old. Ds1 was bottle fed so the weaning process was a bit different so looking for advice.

Up until about a week ago ds was waking multiple times a night, a good night was once or twice, a bad night was up to 10. It got to the point he wouldn’t settle for dh and would only settle with a feed. I decided when I started holidays this week I’d cut feeds overnight but would keep the before bed feed for a little while for him to adjust. He must have known and the first night I told myself I wasn’t going to feed, he slept through and then again the next night. Last night was the third night. We were out so I didn’t feed while we were out and as he usually doesn’t sleep in the car or doesn’t transfer I thought I’d do it once we got home. Well he did transfer and slept until 4am so when he woke then dh settled him without me having to feed. He then slept until 7am. So I’m wondering for tonight should I continue with the momentum and not feed him before bed and hope he can put himself to sleep in the cot or should I go back to feeding him before sleep again? It’s only now I’m getting some decent chunks of sleep for the first time in 2 years I’m realising how exhausted my body was and I don’t want to go backwards.

#2 mandala

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

I would certainly go with the momentum! Good luck, sleep is golden and you certainly need more of it.

#3 Lunafreya

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

I think my first step towards weaning with breastfed DS was not feeding him after midnight unless he really needed it. I’d try to settle him without feeding him first, then feed him if that didn’t really work. Then I went with a “don’t offer, don’t refuse” method.

He was about the same age as yours and it took Tis time, it meant I could sort of say goodbye. And I did miss it when it was over, but he was ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.