Small dog pen or big dog pen for a medium sized dog?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

If you live in a town where there are fenced off leash dog areas with pens for big dogs and pens for small dogs, where do you think the medium dogs should go?

I have always though medium dogs (10-20kg) were allowed to go in either. No one has ever before had a problem with our dog being in either and both pens and I see other mediumish dogs doing both too (and the odd distinctly small or large dog).

I’ve removed her from the small dog pen exactly once for scaring a small puppy (and did so without the owner asking) and from the big dog pen several times because the large-giant breeds on mass scare her (only ever been an issue when an unusually large amount of them).

I admit that since she hit 15kg+ I try to take her in the big dog pen but because I have small children often go in the little one when I have them with me because the big dogs barrel them over.

Today we had been there 5 seconds before a woman started yelling at me to take my dog and get out. She made my 3 children cry, she didn’t stop yelling till we were gone, she took a photo of us (kids included), I don’t know why as we were not breaking any laws (I double checked, the government here does not define what they mean by small and large dogs in relation to the dog pens, which is what I thought) and while I yelled back I didn’t say anything offensive.

#2 Druidmom

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

Could be because your kids were there. A lot of people at dog parks are not welcoming to children being there.

#3 eliza_non

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:20 PM

Never have I experienced weirder behaviour in people than at dog off leash areas. I’ve seen it all, including grown men get into a punch up over who’s stick belonged to which dog.

My guess was that she either mistook you and your dog for someone else or she was a nutter.

I have a beagle, so medium-sized. I’ve been yelled out of the small dog park because he’s ‘too big’, went next door to the large dog park where a greyhound owner told me off for being too small and exciting for their dog.

#4 Lallalla

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

Nope it was definitely the dog not the kids she had a problem with. Apparently she’s a large dog and it was a dog like her that knocked her over and put her in hospital blah blah blah (I wanted to say if a

Edited by Lallalla, 10 April 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

Suggest to the council a pen for medium dogs?

#6 Lallalla

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

I think actually they should clarify what their size ranges are - even if there is an overlap, so you have something to fal back on and say actually we can be here. My dog plays really well with small and large dogs and it would be a shame to stop them mixing altogether because of the odd cranky old lady

#7 Lallalla

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:58 PM

Also I think I am particularly cranky about it because she made my children cry, she took a photo of them and I don’t know what she plans to do with it, and I had to back down and get them out of there because i didn’t want them listening to her for a second longer

#8 Appleaday

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

If I was knocked over by a dog and in hospital the last place you would find me is a dog park.

#9 just roses

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:29 PM

My whippet is considered medium sized and the kennels we go to always put him with the little dogs because, while he’s bigger than them, he’s very gentle and not at all boisterous. He’s friendly and loves to play but he’s not likely to knock anyone (hound or human) over. He does run very fast but is amazingly agile at dodging!

#10 cira

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

The other woman was out of line. She has no right to make your children feel threatened. If she felt so strongly about your dog then she should have spoken to you or she could have chosen to leave.

#11 kadoodle

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

What a horrible woman! I have three medium sized dogs, and regularly walk in the little dog park with friends who have mini hounds. No one cares. It’s not like you have an Alsatian, FFS.

#12 can'tstayaway

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:49 PM

I have seen those dog parks and have thought instead of size delineation, it should be ‘quiet’ play and ‘active’ play.

I have a big German shepherd/Alsatian and when we first started attending a particular park, I noticed one owner of a small dog was particularly nervous about us. Then he witnessed his small dog chase my dog around the park and my dog constantly running away/keeping out of its way. The owner of the small dog has been relaxed about us ever since.

#13 ~J_F~

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

All dogs look little to me but then I have Danes, so I am not a good gauge.

Our doggy play areas have size guides. The smaller pen is for dogs under 20kg and the other is for dogs over. Most dogs around here are big, so it’s not a huge issue.

But people are bloody weird over dog parks.

As for the photo I would have been demanding she delete it and not politely! You don’t take pics of random kids in public!!

#14 Ellie bean

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:22 AM

I only have one dog now and he’s smaller than a cat so all dogs look big to me lol
People are weird about dog parks, I don’t think you did anything wrong OP, but she certainly did in taking that photo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.