Knitting question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eigne

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

I am a bit confused by the pattern so I’m hoping someone can clarify the instructions for me!

It says “rice stitch” with row 1 as k1 p1, row 2 as k1 p1 (ie all rows are the same). However when I google ‘rice stitch’ everything says row 1 is k1 p1, and row 2 is knit all? Which is right?

The instructions also say to never knit the first stitch of the row to get a nice finish. I thought you were supposed to always knit the first stitch of the row? If I don’t knit it, do I purl instead?

Thanks!

Edited by eigne, 10 April 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#2 Mands09

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

Slip the first stitch of each row. That will give it a nice finish.

As for the pattern do you have a link or photo of what it is supposed to look like finished? That will help us determine which ‘rice stitch’ is correct. Generally you work off what your pattern tells you to. But sometimes they get things wrong.

#3 eigne

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

Ah ok, thanks, I will slip the first stitch from now on!

This is the pattern (it’s free):
https://www.laines-c...f36cd9f776994e9

#4 Mands09

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:39 PM

For the main section of the body:

Row 1 - k1 p1
Row 2 - k1 p1 so it’s the opposite of the first row. As in you will do a knit stitch on top of a purl on the row. If this makes sense...

#5 eigne

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:46 PM

Ok, great, thanks very much for your help. I shall begin!

#6 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hi eigne,

Often patterned stitches are called different names in different countries.

The stitch in your link I have always known as moss stitch here in Australia.

Here is a link that may be helpful for your edges

http://www.10rowsaday.com/neat-edges

#7 hills mum bec

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:32 PM

I call that seed stitch.  K1, P1 for 1st row then on the 2nd row you purl the knit stitches and knit the purl stitches so it is the opposite of a rib stitch.  I have never heard of rice stitch but the stitch you described in your OP I know as a broken rib stitch.

#8 mayahlb

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

I think you are talking about seed stitch (seed stitch is single little “seed” stitches. Moss stitch is normally done in larger groupings then a single stitch). Basically it’s k1/p1 on row 1, then the next row you knit the purl stitches and purl the knit stitches. Slip the first stitch of each row for a nice edge. Make sure you slip it purlwise though as it will sit nicer.

#9 eigne

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

Hmmm so far it’s not looking like I expected. On every row I’m doing slip 1, then k1 p1 to end. It looks more like rib stitch.

I think I’ll pull it apart tomorrow and redo it as seed stitch:
Row 1: slip 1, then k1 p1 to end
Row 2: slip 1, then p1 k1 to end

#10 Ozquoll

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:47 PM

^^^^
That’s because it is rib stitch - that slipped stitch is throwing off your pattern. You could try casting on an extra two stitches, slip the first one of each row, and knit the last one. Makes a neat edge and is easy to remember.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

That’s because you are doing rob stitches. On the WS is you are slipping a stitch you need to start the row with a k1. The edge stitch doesn’t count for the pattern.

So it should be
R1: s1, *k1, p1 repeat * to end.

Row 2 is basically exactly the same. It just depends if your 2nd last stitch is a knit or purl stitch. If it’s a purl stitch start the next row on a purl after the edge stitch, if it’s a knit stitch, start the next row on a knit stitch after the edge stitch.

Here is a link that might help
https://m.wikihow.co...-or-Seed-Stitch

Edited by mayahlb, 11 April 2019 - 08:44 AM.

#12 eigne

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:27 PM

Success! It is now looking like it should, except I’ve got a neat bobbly edge instead of the nice looped slip stitch edge I was expecting but c’est la vie! It will get sewn together at the end anyway.

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:10 AM

View Postfancie shmancie, on 10 April 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

Hi eigne,

Often patterned stitches are called different names in different countries.

The stitch in your link I have always known as moss stitch here in Australia.

Here is a link that may be helpful for your edges

http://www.10rowsaday.com/neat-edges

Yep...Moss stitch for me too and my mum and my nana :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.