Booster for 7 year old + Europe travel q

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moo point

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:25 PM

DS will be 7 in June and comfortably fits his Maxi Guard harnessed seat - he has a short torso so he will be in this for years. He has the Infasecure Emerge in my parents' car.

1. We are considering getting an easy to use booster seat for my inlaws' car, they don't have him often but would be handy, and easier for them to use than a harnessed seat.

2. We are also planning a trip to Europe in September and I'm at a loss what to do when we are there. Can we use some sort of travel booster there (legally)? We'll be in a few different countries, in family members' cars but then some train travel.

I know he'll be old enough to travel with a normal seatbelt soon, but he has a short torso, low muscle tone and additional needs so I'm reluctant to do this.

Any thoughts on our options? Thanks.

#2 wannabe30

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:37 PM

My DS is a similar age and we have had similar situations.

1. We got a Hipod Rio for a domestic holiday and will give that to the in-laws for the same reason as you. I didnt especially like the Rio, but we wanted a folding seat for travel and the only other one I could find was too small for his shoulders - he just fit, and he said the Rio was more comfy.

2. When we travelled overseas, we wanted local carseats that met relevant standards. We went to Target (in the US) and got a great booster there for about $60. I looked online before we went so knew what to look for once we arrived. On a previous trip I actually bought a 0-4 seat on Amazon and had it delivered to Australia before we left, which also worked well.

#3 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

https://www.trunki.c...boostapak-green

We used these when travelling in EU and needed occasional taxi trips (mostly travelling by train).

They comply with EU standards.

#4 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

An untethered seat belt booster for the inlaws would be the easiest option. Look at the infasecure folding booster (Kmart usually has the cheapest version) or the Britax tourer/swift. Best to try your child in the seats to see which one fits better.

#5 Moo point

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll need two versions, one for the inlaws here and one for overseas. I'll check out the folding booster for the inlaws, now that it's school holidays I can take DS with me to try the seats at the shops. Thanks for the suggestions.

Veritas, that looks amazing! Love that it doubles as a mini-suitcase. We'll be doing most travel by train and plane as well, but something small for the occasional car trip is just what we need.

#6 Kreme

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

Once we realised the prohibitive cost of hiring car seats with rental cars in Europe, we bought two untethered boosters for our kids when we first arrived in the UK. We kept the heavy duty plastic bags they were packaged in and used those to carry them on planes and trains throughout Europe. It was a few years ago, they were Britax seats.

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

We bought boosters in the UK when we were there. It was much cheaper than renting them with the car, and we didn’t get them until we needed them, so we didn’t cart them around unnecessarily at the start of the trip.

#8 Jersey Caramel

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

Hi OP,

If you're in Sydney,  we have a European booster seat I am happy to lend.  We bought it when in Germany last December,  as it was far cheaper to buy than hire from rental car companies.  We intended just to chuck/ donate at the end of our trip but ended up having enough space in the suitcase to bring it back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.