Yet another job question - longer commute?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zande

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

I have an interview next week for a job I applied for so long ago I had forgotten about it. I had pretty much decided to stay put in my job this year but I’m tempted to attend the interview.

It’s similar pay (to start) and similar hours but it’s a government job, which is what my long term plan is. This job is permanent and would hopefully open up longer term career progression prospects. I love my current job but there are no career prospects, no likelihood of better money and i work under a heap of pressure, particularly given the rate of pay I’m on.  However my current job is very flexible, I can work from home occasionally if I need to. It’s also about 20 min commute one way.

The job I’m interviewing for would be a step down in responsibility to start, but with a lot less pressure, but probably an hour commute each morning but less in the arvo.

I’m going to interview to see what I think, but I’m putting out there for some thoughts?

#2 1975ladybug

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

Stop, breath,

Go for the interview, wait & see what’s on offer.

Think about the what if’s after the interview!

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

View Post1975ladybug, on 15 April 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

Stop, breath,

Go for the interview, wait & see what’s on offer.

Think about the what if’s after the interview!

I agree. Go to the interview, get more info, then weigh it up.

Government jobs are often flexible with hours or work from home, depending of course on what the job entails.

#4 Lou-bags

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

I would go to interview with an open mind and try not to think about it much further at this stage. Hopefully you get a gut feeling one way or the other. I’d generally lean toward better long term prospects, but there does come a time the cost is too high also. It’s hard!

I’ve been job hunting for a while and found I was getting myself all tied up overthinking them, especially after interview, only to not get an offer. Argh! It’s a weird ol process.

Anyway best of luck with the interview and your decision.

#5 lozoodle

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:16 PM

Go for the interview and see how you feel. Just keep your mind open and let yourself imagine you working there and go from there.

My commute is an hour door to door too, its always been that way as I work in the CBD as pay in the burbs is woeful!

You spend so much time at work, so before worrying about commutes and $ (within reason, I realise we need certain amounts to make living viable), I would just think which is going to make you happiest.

Your happiness with work will flow into the other areas of life so pick the best all round fit and not worry about the minor stuff.

#6 Phascogale

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

Go for the interview.  You may have the ability to have a later/earlier start to miss some of that traffic.  Obviously depends on the actual job.

Make a decision after the interview.  The job may perfect and you'll know what to do, or you know it isn't for you and you won't be forever wondering what if.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.