Jump to content

Still sleeping all the time


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:18 AM

Hi,

So, as I said in my previous thread, my 9 week old daughter is a very sleepy baby. When she was a few weeks old, the doctor asked me to redo the thyroid test (it's already done at the government health office and it is mandatory). We did the test, plus a full blood picture and also looked for jaundice and infections. All this to try and figure out why she is sleepy. Everything was normal. I was happy and kept waiting for that moment when my daughter will wake up  It didn't happen. When she was two months old, I talked to the doctor again. He said, as he always did that babies sleep a lot but if I am worried, I can repeat the CBC and thyroid tests to be sure. We repeated them and thankfully they were normal again. So, the doctor told me to keep a sleep log. He said maybe she's awake only in small bursts and if I add it up it will be a lot. So we did that today and so far she has been awake for only two hours in 20 hours. And usually in 10 to 20 minute bursts. That's insane. I will admit that we have had some glorious days where she was awake. But I can't stress how rare these days are! At this point I am not sure what to do  I've talked to doctors, I've done the tests and I feel so helpless and alone. I don't know what else I can do.!!! I know no one can fix this for me, but I just needed to write this to get it off my chest. And of course if anyone has advice, I would be happy to hear it!!!

Edited by Minnie80, 16 April 2019 - 01:28 AM.


#2 Sweet.Pea

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:42 AM

Have you seen a GP or a Paediatrician? If just a GP, I would get a referral to a Paediatrician.

#3 Kabu84

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:55 AM

I’ve had 2 babies and both didn’t really seem to ‘wake up’ until just after 3 months. Then I wished I had all that quiet time back to peacefully read and watch tv!

#4 Sweet.Pea

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:56 AM

View PostKabu84, on 16 April 2019 - 02:55 AM, said:

I’ve had 2 babies and both didn’t really seem to ‘wake up’ until just after 3 months. Then I wished I had all that quiet time back to peacefully read and watch tv!

You mean sleep? My child never sleeps. Currently laying there 'singing'.

#5 Minnie80

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:47 AM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 16 April 2019 - 02:42 AM, said:

Have you seen a GP or a Paediatrician? If just a GP, I would get a referral to a Paediatrician.

Yes she went to two pediatricians.

#6 FEdeRAL

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

That means she sleeps about 18 hours a day? Are the doctors happy with her growth?

Going by this website a 3-month old baby sleeps about 10-18 hours a day. With 14 being the average. Hope it gives you some reassurance.

https://raisingchild...eeds-for-babies

#7 afterlaughter

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

My daughter had sleepy days right up to about 13 weeks, feeding time is part of awake time too. Keep a eye on it but not out of ordinary for a Bub under three months to sleep 18 hours a day.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

DS used to sleep for 12 hours on a night and most of the day when was first born, then still probably 1 he slept for a while in the morning then about 3 hours in the afternoon, he loved his sleep that boy!

#9 Caribou

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

My baby slept a good 18 hours in first 3 months of his life. He’s now an energetic crazy 2 year old with a hankering for 3 hour day naps.

Imo no problems. Even GP thinks it’s fine. I think it’s fine. If your baby is gaining weight, and looks healthy I imagine she is fine. I see you’ve already visited a few Medical professionals and no one is concerned. It seems like to me, there’s nothing is wrong?  Have you actually asked them to explain why they think it’s not a problem?

Edited by Caribou, 16 April 2019 - 12:05 PM.


#10 ceeshell

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

A friend of mine had a baby like that. She just slept and slept and slept. Her growth was good and she met milestones so they left her be.

She is now 7 and perfectly fine. Still a low-key, relaxed little human, though.

(My friend's second baby was a little more normal in the sleep department. They didn't know what hit them!)

#11 Minnie80

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostFEdeRAL, on 16 April 2019 - 04:49 AM, said:

That means she sleeps about 18 hours a day? Are the doctors happy with her growth?

Going by this website a 3-month old baby sleeps about 10-18 hours a day. With 14 being the average. Hope it gives you some reassurance.

https://raisingchild...eeds-for-babies


It was two hours in 20 hours. Not 24 hrs. And often only in 10 to 20 minute snippets, where she is constantly yawning.

We did another log yesterday, and she was up for 6 hours, which is better. But again in very short snippets. One time I timed it and in 11 minutes I changed her nappy, fed her and she slept! We can barely called that awake time!

#12 Minnie80

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostCaribou, on 16 April 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

My baby slept a good 18 hours in first 3 months of his life. He’s now an energetic crazy 2 year old with a hankering for 3 hour day naps.

Imo no problems. Even GP thinks it’s fine. I think it’s fine. If your baby is gaining weight, and looks healthy I imagine she is fine. I see you’ve already visited a few Medical professionals and no one is concerned. It seems like to me, there’s nothing is wrong?  Have you actually asked them to explain why they think it’s not a problem?

This is what is stressing me. I was never given an explanation, other than babies sleep a lot! But I think people need to see it to believe it  My mom also thought I was exaggerating but we have been staying with her the last few days and she started freaking out too when she saw how much the baby was sleeping. Yesterday, was particularly bad.

#13 Caribou

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostMinnie80, on 16 April 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:



This is what is stressing me. I was never given an explanation, other than babies sleep a lot! But I think people need to see it to believe it  My mom also thought I was exaggerating but we have been staying with her the last few days and she started freaking out too when she saw how much the baby was sleeping. Yesterday, was particularly bad.

Next time you see a dr, ask for an explaination. They’re very used to just saying it’s fine and people accepting it as it is, but it’s your right to say ‘why is it ok? When the general consensus is etc etc.

If you have a log book and show that to the dr, it might help. Ask for a refer to a peadtrician. But ask questions. Always ask until you are stastified with answer.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.