Vegemite mixed with ....

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Oriental lily

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

Milk?

https://aso.gov.au/t...e-sister/clip1/

I love seeing these old clips .

Never heard about vegemite in milk before . Love to be a fly on the wall and go back in time to see what other advice was been given out .

The idea of milk with vegemite has zero appeal !

#2 Laurie03

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

My dad still puts vegemite in his mashed potato.  His Mother did it for him as a child and he still does it. haha
I love vegemite on toast but in mashed potato??? No thanks.

#3 molinero

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

I will add a spoonful to add stock flavour in certain soups.

That's as far as I'm willing to dabble.

Milk + V is just so wrong.

#4 71Cath

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

Vegemite belongs on white buttery toast only.

#5 casime

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:59 AM

My son likes his sandwich with vegemite, Nutella, peanut butter, strawberry jam and salami.

Weirdo.

#6 Catzilla

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

One of my uncles used to spread Vegemite on his cream buns. Turns my stomach thinking about it.

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:04 AM

My three year old likes his vegemite on raisin toast . I though that was weird !

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

Yep, vegemite in hot milk was something from my childhood in the fifties.

Given 'the rest of the world's' opinion on Vegemite full stop, I'm not sure there's any 'wrong' way to have it.

Actually there is.  I'm part of a uni study, which involves fasting, then half way through you can have some breakfast. No butter, but a smear of marg.  I chose vegemite over jam.  The woman I was working with had an accent and I don't think she understood vegemite.  I got stone cold supermarket toast bread, a smear of marg, jam-thick vegemite, and a glass of water.  One of the rare times I've not enjoyed my vegemite.

#9 71Cath

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

Vegemite on raisin toast is awesome!  Not as good as on plain white toast, but still good.

Edited by 71Cath, 16 April 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

View Post71Cath, on 16 April 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

You have to put the butter on twice, though. The first lot soaks in, so you have to add enough to leave teeth marks in it.

In getting my cholesterol down, the GP asked why I'd ditched bread, and I said 'it's not the bread, it's the inch of butter'.

#11 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

..and squished with butter between two Vita Weet biscuits.

#12 Renovators delight

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

View Post71Cath, on 16 April 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

Vegemite on raisin toast is awesome!  Not as good as on plain white toast, but still good.

I will send DS1 to live with you, to me it seems a waste of perfectly good raisin toast and perfectly good vegemite, not to mention any poor butter that was sacrificed in the making of such an abomination.

Vegemite and cream cheese on toast is good, also toast - butter - vegemite - smear of avocado.

Vegemite and butter on any kind of sao, vitawheat, cruskit, kavli bread...

But not on raisin toast! or crumpets!

#13 seayork2002

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:21 AM

My mum puts it in gravy

#14 vanessa71

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:59 AM

This. Although I am quite happy for the toast to be wholemeal/multigrain as well.

#15 Sweet.Pea

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

Um yuck! Vegemite does not belong in milk....poor person who thinks there's a new dark chocolate milk on the market, only to find it's vegemite...April Fools!

#16 MooGuru

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

Not milk but I'm getting some ideas from this thread. Raisin toast us a brilliant idea! I do eat a spoonful of vegemite by itself occasionally so I might be crazy lol.

Edited as I wrote what I spoke instead of what I wanted to write

Edited by MooGuru, 16 April 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#17 Mollycoddle

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 16 April 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

In getting my cholesterol down, the GP asked why I'd ditched bread, and I said 'it's not the bread, it's the inch of butter'.

Yes, I sometimes like a bit of bread with my butter lol.

#18 WTFJerk

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

In cauliflower soup.

I’ve heard of it going in bolognese too.

#19 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

View Postcasime, on 16 April 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

My son likes his sandwich with vegemite, Nutella, peanut butter, strawberry jam and salami.

Weirdo.

He on the right path with vegemite and jam
I have this at least weekly
The salami has me a bit hmmmm....

#20 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:47 AM

We had vegemite mixed in with our mashed veges when we were little, so did DH. If you get the right amount of vegemite, then it is yummy.

#21 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

View Post71Cath, on 16 April 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

Agree

#22 sahmie

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

On toast with scrambled eggs *drool*

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 16 April 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

..and squished with butter between two Vita Weet biscuits.
I love it on cruskits

#24 RynandStompy

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

We love multigrain or rye toast , buttered with vegemite then spread with Hass avocado.
We're kiwis though.

#25 RynandStompy

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:48 PM

View Postsahmie, on 16 April 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

On toast with scrambled eggs *drool*

DH will have Marmite, not vegemite, on his toast, under poached eggs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.