Oven - gas or pyrolytic?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jaroma

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

If you had the choice would which oven would you choose? Natural gas or pyrolytic?

My current oven (natural gas) is officially dead, so the decision now to stick with a natural gas oven or swap to an electric pyrolytic oven?

They said:

- natural gas is better for cooking roast and casseroles where as electric is better for baking

- natural gas is more of a moist heat where electric is a dry heat

- natural gas is more expensive to purchase and install than electric

- natural gas is cheap to run than electric

I personally like cooking with gas but am really drawn to the self cleaning idea!

TIA

#2 hills mum bec

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

I have never had a gas oven so can't compare how it cooks with an electric one but I would definitely recommend a pyrolytic one.  I love our pyrolytic oven, so easy to clean!  Our last oven died, funnily enough after DH spent 2 hours cleaning it, I think some water must have got in somewhere it shouldn't have.  We replaced it with a pyrolytic one and I will never go back to a standard oven again.  The pyrolytic setting takes about 2 hours then once it has cooled down you wipe it over with a damp cloth and it is shiny clean.  We have a Westinghouse one and you do need to take out the racks which are still a bit of a PITA to clean.  I'm not sure if there are models that will also clean the racks, if there are I would go with that option for sure.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

Not sure if it has changed since I was a kid but one thing that drove us mad was our gas oven went out all the time, as you said you have had one so maybe it was not a problem for you??? but I am not sure I would go back to one personally

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

I had freestanding gas in my old house. I chose electric pyrolytic ovens with a gas cooktop for the new house. Happy with my choice.

#5 Froyo

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

TBH I've never noticed much of a difference between gas and electric for roasts, baking etc.
I dream of a pyrolytic oven. I wish my current oven would die so I could get one!

Edited by Froyo, 17 April 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:16 AM

electric. Hands down.  

Electric ovens arent like they used to be, we have a Bosch, and its well sealed, perfectly controlled, definitely a more moist way of cooking because its so well sealed.  Its even heat top to bottom. Its really good.

And with the price of gas going up and up, an electric oven is probably cheaper to run these days.

Plus, i only ever remember gas ovens having ignition issues and dangerously having to get inside with a match all the time.  you dont get that with electric.

I have actually run a full pyrolitic clean this morning, first time ever, so ill let you know how that goes.

#7 Prancer is coming

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

I have 2 words for you - steam function.  This will give you plenty of moisture.

I got a pyro oven with steam assist a year ago and I totally love it.  I did not think I would use a total steam oven.  I can choose the level of steam and as well as having moist meats, it cooks so much faster.  Highly recommend one with a meat probe - stick it in your roast, put in the temperature (the manual will tell you what the correct temp ranges are) and then it beeps when done.  You get the perfect roast every time!

Having said that, I have never used a gas oven.  But seriously love my oven.

#8 TheGreenSheep

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Electric.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

And just on installation costs, if you’re putting an electric oven where a gas one used to be, it’s possible you will need a new electrical circuit for the oven. New fuse in your fuse box. Electric ovens need their own circuit. This can be a little expensive. But once done should never need to be done again.

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

I have a pyrolitic oven and the only downside is that you still have to clean the stupid, fiddly racks. As you have to do this with any oven I'd go with the pyrolitic one any day. With the growing use of solar panels and the rising price of gas, electricity will eventually have to be the way to go I'd imagine.

#11 Jaroma

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

Has certainly helped make a decision. Plus so useful tips!

Westinghouse is the brand I am looking at in particular. Had the service out this morning paid $145 to be told it is no longer 😢. So they are at least providing the $145 as a cash back on a new one.

Edited by Jaroma, 17 April 2019 - 01:40 PM.

#12 Charli73

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:33 PM

Bosch pyrolytic here, cleans itself it’s amazing. Will never go back to using chemicals to clean oven again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.