PLC Sydney vs MLC Burwood

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tiara15

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

Hi all,

We have toured both schools and have been offered a place at both for DD to start in Kindy, now we have to make the decision as to which school to choose.

I have heard very positive things about PLC but we had a better vibe at MLC. They are both fantastic schools which I believe DD will thrive in but are like comparing apples with oranges, they are just so different. PLC is very traditional and MLC is progressive.

My main priorities are:

- good overall school ie not just focused on only academic or only sport or only music etc
- varied opportunities in terms of electives and co-curricular activities as at this young age we have no idea what interests DD will be into
- strong anti-bullying policy

Although MLC offers the IB, it has open classrooms so in junior school for instance there are 3 classes in the one room. My experience of open plan offices is not positive so I would like to hear from any ex-students or parents with kids currently attending.

Thanks

#2 RuntotheRiver

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

MLC is a much larger school, a lot more scope for friendships and learning options. Marshmead in year 9 is awesome. Music and sport opportunities are fantastic. Not as clicky, due to size. Most teachers have specific field knowledge of the subjects they teach. Issues are handled quickly and effectively.  This be my choice out of the two.

#3 MarciaB

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

View PostRuntotheRiver, on 22 April 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

MLC is a much larger school, a lot more scope for friendships and learning options. Marshmead in year 9 is awesome. Music and sport opportunities are fantastic. Not as clicky, due to size. Most teachers have specific field knowledge of the subjects they teach. Issues are handled quickly and effectively.  This be my choice out of the two.

Are you talking MLC Burwood Sydney?? I suspect maybe MLC Melbourne :).  MLC Burwood is smaller (marginally) than PLC Sydney however neither are "big" compared to say PLC Pymble.

I think both are well-rounded schools.

Edited because I just checked and MLC Marshmead is part of Melbourne.  They are different schools as are the PLC's (Sydney and Melbourne) which are not "related".

Edited by MarciaB, 22 April 2019 - 05:19 PM.

#4 MarciaB

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

OP - a few things I would consider:

1) transport.  Which is better for you.  Also in terms of Public transport when your dd is older and able to travel on her own.  Both schools have private buses to various locations at additional cost, but I know one of the two is serviced by public school buses as well as trains (covered by Opal card).  Just depends which is better for where you live.

2) go back and have a look if you aren't sure and ask for another tour.

3) Go to one/both open days and talk to the senior students,  I think that gives a better feel than just the person running the tour.

Good luck - and remember that there are a lot of excellent schools in that area (public and private) and there is considerable change between them with many girls swapping from one to another for a range of reasons.  It isn't a problem if one school doesn't work out as it is very common.

Edited by MarciaB, 22 April 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#5 Fourteenyears

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

PLC has its open day in a couple of weeks, (it is usually mid May) which would give you a chance to get a feel for the community, talk to parents etc.

I hang out there a bit for various reasons, although my daughter will only go to high school there if money suddenly falls from the sky (which it won’t).    I would love to send her there though - her friends get the most amazing array of opportunities that she, at her perfectly adequate public school, just doesn’t get.  

Some of her friends are sporty, some academic, some creative.  They all seem to find their niche there.  It does seem to me, as an outsider, to be very achievement focussed though, particularly in high school, which could be good or bad depending on your kid.

Their bullying policy is fully available online, or was as of a few months ago.  It’s comprehensive.   The primary school one seems fairly standard.  Regarding high school, I personally much prefer the policy at my son’s public high school but I imagine what you think of PLC’s policy will depend on what you are specifically hoping for.  Maybe compare a few schools, including public primary and high schools in the area, just to eat a feel for the spectrum of policies available on the issue.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 22 April 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#6 ELF_em_bee

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

From what I have heard (and this is hearsay from former pupils) I would go for MLC over PLC.

Have you considered Santa Sabina College in Strathfield? They also have the IB primary years program.

#7 RuntotheRiver

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Sorry there is PLC and MLC in Melbourne. I just re-read your post !

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

View PostRuntotheRiver, on 22 April 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

We moved from a large primary school to a much smaller one (about 20% of the size) and it was the smaller one which was far less cliquey.

#9 RuntotheRiver

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

I was just referring to recent feedback on the small private ones in Kew Melbourne. Had wrong state.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:28 AM

View PostRuntotheRiver, on 23 April 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

I was just referring to recent feedback on the small private ones in Kew Melbourne. Had wrong state.

If you are talking about the one/s (one in particular) that I think you are, I couldn't agree more.

Strathcona was a hundred times better for us than the nearby very large primary.

Sorry OP, well off topic.

#11 skyestewart

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

hi there, can I ask what you decided to do? we are trying to make the exact same decision for our daughter, thank you

#12 Tiara15

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Hi skyestewart,

I would recommend you do a tour of both schools to get a feel for them, you should get a good idea which will be a good fit.

We attended the PLC open day as suggested and were so impressed by the community feel.

MLC had a mass exodus of long term teachers in 2015 due to an issue with the then principal, PLC has retained alot of long term teachers.

Edited by Tiara15, 23 May 2019 - 09:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.