Backyard breeder, help needed

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo Void

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

I know someone who's determined to get a oodle cross, there is nothing I can do to change her mind.  The *best* I can do is try and steer her away from the truly dreadful breeders.  Does anyone have any suggestions of things she should do to/ask to avoid the worst of the worst?  I've suggested she visit the home where the puppies are, meet the mother of her pup.  Anything else? I know this isn't the best scenario but I have to try and make it better.

#2 SummerStar

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

I can't think of anything. She is supporting the BYB trade and no matter what she asks, it's still the same thing.

I guess maybe check the two dogs that were bred are from registered breeders and they've had all their health tests before being thrown together.... That's about the best that can be hoped for. I have to say it would, and has with some of my friends, change my view on the person with all the info out there to still be dead set on supporting such an industry.

#3 Romeo Void

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

So checks to see if the parents are free from genetic conditions, good tip, thank you.  I've tried talking her out of it but she seems pretty determined. She's been my friend for more than 40 years, she's a wonderful but fallible human being(like us all) I'm not dumping her now LOL.

#4 babybug15

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

Will she at least look on some of the rescue sites to see if a poodle cross comes up? Or is she keen to buy a puppy at the time she wants? I have a couple of friends who have poodle crosses who have come from rescue groups, but I know it's rare. The RSPCA have a "Buying a puppy" guide that might be helpful? https://www.rspcapuppyguide.com.au/

I agree with SummerStar, ask if the parents or puppies have been tested for genetic issues, the puppies have been vet checked, vaccinated (with documentation), wormed and microchipped. Definately ask to meet the mother and see the pups in a home environment before buying one and don't meet somewhere random to pick up the puppy.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:26 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 22 April 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

So checks to see if the parents are free from genetic conditions, good tip, thank you.  I've tried talking her out of it but she seems pretty determined. She's been my friend for more than 40 years, she's a wonderful but fallible human being(like us all) I'm not dumping her now LOL.
Oh no, I wouldn't dump. It would just change my view. I have a good friend who did the same. Bought a cavoodle who died at 4 from the same heart problems cavaliers are prone to. Bought another one, it has eye issues and is going blind.... Can't tell her though.
I love her, I'm still friends with her, but it has definitely changed my view... To think she keeps buying them and they keep having issues.

#6 Romeo Void

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Not necessarily a puppy, she'd be happy with a youngish dog and she doesn't mind a rescue. She's after something lap sized and cute so....  There's a bunch of us looking out for her, lets hope we find something suitable from a rescue, but in the event that she decides she's had enough of waiting (I know these things can take time) I just want to help her avoid too much trouble.

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:48 PM

Actual miniature poodles are lovely dogs, no idea why a person would need a cross. Maybe arrange for her to see some poodles?

#8 kadoodle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Is she willing to take on a rescue puppy? There’s quite a few former Christmas presents in shelters at this time of year.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 22 April 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

Actual miniature poodles are lovely dogs, no idea why a person would need a cross. Maybe arrange for her to see some poodles?

Seconding this, friends of ours have a miniature poodle & he is the most sweet natured cuddly little guy. Happy to be around the kids, not yappy & he also doesn't smell.

#10 Oriental lily

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Best advice I can think of is not to rush it and  deffinetly not buy one online . She should find a small youngish none shedding fur ball  in rescue if she is patient and persistent enough . All the oodles look similar so she will never know what she is getting.

I would also start showing her these gorgeous ‘oodles’ that are actually pure bred minature poodle in a puppy cut . Send her some photos without telling her what they are . I bet she will be smitten, confess what they really are then guide her to some registered breeders on dogzonline . A bit of manipulation but for a good cause .

#11 Oriental lily

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

If you called this little one a cavoodle  would she know any different ?

It’s a purebred poodle .

Attached Files

#12 José

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

I’m not really a dog person and I don’t really know what you mean by an oodle cross but how about a ‘lighthouse labradoodle’ ?
they have been recommended to me.

Edited by José, 22 April 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#13 Oriental lily

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

Here is another purebred poodle in a teddy bear cut .

Attached Files

#14 Oriental lily

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

Another purebred cutie .

Attached Files

#15 *Spikey*

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

View PostJosé, on 22 April 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

I’m not really a dog person and I don’t really know what you mean by an oodle cross but how about a ‘lighthouse labradoodle’ ?
they have been recommended to me.

Well, the first thing that leaps out is that they claim it's a breed, the second, is that they are a small farm which means that as puppies are the 'produce' (like wool, or milk, or meat), then they would need to be intensively farmed to make a profit large enough to support the business.

Final thing, they claim multigenerational, which is not particularly concerning - except the coats and colours are not breeding true.

So no, I wouldn't be recommending a puppy mill, even one with a cutesie webpage.

#16 *Spikey*

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

OP try sending her these links - they are the ultimate oodles - poodles crossed with poodles....

https://www.dogzonli...e-miniature.asp

#17 *Spikey*

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

Quite a few litters available right now, or very shortly! I should not have looked at their puppy photos. Dying from an OD of cute.

Edited by Spikey-on strike, 22 April 2019 - 08:08 PM.

#18 kadoodle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

Very clever little buggers, though. Poodles are rocket scientists in fur.

#19 literally nobody

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

I have a little poodle. omg she’s just the most amazingly smart, funny and cuddly dog ever. i find caboodles look a bit strange when fully grown adults.

#20 Octopodes

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

Dammit. Now I want a tiny poodle. I have no time for a dog, especially not the Einstein of dogs.

I love the idea of 'tricking' the friend into buying a real poodle instead of an oodle.

#21 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

OL - now I need a poodle with a teddy bear hair cut. Poodles need a marketing campaign.

#22 *Spikey*

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

So, is she on FB? Because you could like loads of Poodle breeder pages and bombard her with totally cute and irresistible poodle pups.....

#23 Threetwoone

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:59 PM

I never knew poodles could be fluffy like that. I love the teddy bear hair cut.

#24 *Spikey*

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

A lot of people buy cavoodles as they mistake them for poodles with the non-pompom cuts, like those cuties above. Cavoodles just don't look quite right - and nor do Labradoodles. They just don't look complete, kind of like squashing two puzzles together for a really oddball result - and one that doesn't really do the job of either particularly well. Sure, they are cute puppies - but when they hit adult hood and the problems with their musculoskeletal systems kick in, you know it.

#25 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:04 PM

View PostFresh Start, on 22 April 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

OMG I want all of the poodles OL posted above. They are all gorgeous.

Me too.  I want a dog so much, but I know I couldn't give one the good home they deserve right now.  Will definitely book Mark the link for when I'm in the right place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.