4th birthday party- help?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 babybug15

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

DS has never had a birthday party (we usually just have a cake at home), but he's very excited about turning four so I thought it might be a nice idea if we have one. We've attended a couple of other small people parties recently, but I'm looking for advice from more experienced small person party organisers.

Does the following sound ok?
Two hours on a Saturday morning.
Finger foods (sausage roll, mini quiches etc), fairy bread, fruit and veg platter, cake.
Treasure hunt game in the backyard (DS is very into treasure hunts right now- probably because he's been to a few Easter egg hunts recently).
Set up a big pile of lego in one area as multiple people invited are very into lego right now.
Set up some colouring in? Get some balloons for the kids to play with?

Invite 4 friends from one of our social groups and 4 friends from childcare. Plus asssociated parents & a couple of baby sibilings. Inlaws are also going to be visiting from interstate.

Our house isn't huge, but figure we can use the backyard for a bit.

Have I forgotten anything? Am I over thinking this?

#2 ali-song

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

Sounds great! Tea/coffee for the grown ups? Contingency plans in the event of rain?

#3 Babetty

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

That sounds great. My kids loved playing with balloons at that age - it was a good way to start the party as kids could all just start playing as they arrived - I had a pile of balloons on the floor and that was all I needed to do!

#4 ~J_WTF~

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Saturday mornings could be an issue for some if they do any kind of sports or swimming, worth considering.

Make sure the lego is not able to be accessed by the younger siblings, so maybe in a playpen or something.

Make sure you have a backup plan, just in case of weather.

Have enough seating for everyone.

Balloons are a must, kids live playing with them and you could even have some markers for the to draw on them.

Make sure people can access drinks easily themselves. I ahte having to ask for a drink, I prefer to be pointed in the direction of the esky or whatever and told to help myself.

Paper everything - just throw it all out when you are done!

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

A treasure hunt was a huge hit at DD’s 4th birthday. Hope he has a great day.

#6 little lion

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:34 PM

Sounds good. I like minimal and traditional parties like that. I tried to get away without giving guests lolly bags at the end but my sons love that part of a party and wouldn’t hear of it. Always prepare a few spare bags too!

#7 tassiekiwi

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

For DS's last birthday I made up a scavenger hunt and the items they collected were their party bag. I took photos of the items and each child got a copy and a bag. When they had found all theirs they had to help others. Items included hot wheels car, bouncy ball, pencil and a small note pad.

#8 laridae

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

Saturday mornings are often a problem if kids have older siblings due to sport/swimming etc. I'd go either Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
The rest sounds fine. Just be aware that acceptance rates from daycare are often quite low. We invited 25, 8 came for  DD2's 4th. DD1 invited 10 and 4 came for her 4th. Was quite a surprise when she turned 5 at school, invited 29 and 28 came!

#9 Apageintime

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

I also do a cheese platter for parents. Put it up high away from sticky fingers. Add a cup of tea and I'm basically your new BFF.

Kids parties can be so draining for parents.

#10 Em Melb

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

Spread a bed sheet on the floor and have them decorate a plain white paper bag with pencils and stickers. Put their name on it and they can use it as their treasure hunt bag. I had the kids do this whilst they waited for everyone to arrive. Then to clear the area for other activities, just gather the whole sheet up with everything inside and throw it in the laundry to deal with later.

#11 Em Melb

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:26 PM

Also have a small cake for DS to cut and cupcakes for the kids.

I found that the kids ran off to play instead of sitting to eat cake. Then you can wrap the cupcakes up and put it in their party bags to bulk it up. Let the adults help themselves to the cake!

#12 babybug15

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

Thanks everyone, your ideas have been really useful. Especially the drinks/food for adults.

Hilariously usually we're the family with swimming obligations in the morning (Sunday) so turn up late to things, so had completely forgot that other people might be doing the same on a Saturday. I was a bit worried kids would be tired in the afternoon, but maybe 1-3pm would be workable?

Rain coningency will be everyone inside which might be a bit crowded.

#13 tayto...

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

Do you have a garage? It rained for DD1s 4th bday party and mum suggested we set up in there, worked well as the back up

#14 4kids mostlysane

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

Sounds like an awesome plan for a party for 4yos.  Honestly I think as parents we do often overthink it and they just want to hang out with their mates (or even just beside their mates - some still aren't really into the "playing with" at that age".)

For a rain contingency plan, unless it's absolutely tipping down, I'd suggest they all bring gumboots and rain jackets/umbrellas/change of clothes/all of the above and still do the treasure hunt in the rain.  They will think it's awesome!

We (thankfully) have a covered patio that we used for a bday part many years ago when it was a bit damp (we were literally in the middle of drought and it rained on the day of his party!)

#15 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

Sounds good. Expect some people to not reply to invitations or not turn up though. It might be good to invite a few more than 4 from kinder because usually some people just don't even reply :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.