Jump to content

Possible move out of area - apply or wait?

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sec2

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

We are in the process of selling our house. The in area school is where we’d like to send our son who starts school next year. We have been living in this house for 10 years but now that we are selling I’m concerned we’ll find our ideal house in a different area (same city) and be less than happy with the local school.

My question is do I enrol him now while we have the in area address even though we may be out of area by the time he starts school next year?

What are your thoughts on this? Should I just leave it and hope that we like the school inthe area we move to?

#2 tenar

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:19 PM

If the school is in demand they will be checking that people are actually living where they claim to be living.  If you won't be living there by the time he starts school this won't fly.

At our school, even though we currently live in the zone and kids have been there for 4 years, if we choose to move out of the zone then we will lose their enrolment at that school.  Which is fair enough, otherwise other in-zone kids can't enrol there.

I suggest you factor in school choice when choosing a new place to live.  Good luck!  It's complicated stuff...

#3 Abernathy

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

If the desired school will let your kids remain at the school (even if you move) then I would enrol now and play things by ear. Some in-demand schools do allow kids to remain if they were in the zone when they commenced
Eta. You might still be in the house when school starts next year so your child might legitimately be able to start (and possibly remain) at the school.

Edited by Abernathy, 23 April 2019 - 02:43 PM.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

I would enrol. What if you are still in the zone? We were asked to provide proof of residence on enrolment and again after school started for the year.

#5 Phascogale

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Apply now with your current address.  You don't know how long it will take to sell and you also don't know how long settlement will be.  It's possible that you will still be in the house when next year starts.

It does depend on how in demand the school is.  There very much are some schools that the instant you move out of area, regardless of how long you have been at the school, you have to move your child (there may be exceptions for years 11 and/or 12).  Other schools allow you to stay even if you move out of area but won't allow a sibling enrolment.  Others are quite flexible.

We're going to be in a similar position at the end of the year.  We've applied for a couple of schools where enrolment is via sitting a test to see if you qualify (for the younger child) and the older one is also on merit but you are only offered a position if there's a vacancy - you go on a waiting list.  We plan to live in that area anyway but I don't know where exactly we will live and we possibly won't know (and definitely won't be living there) until at least Jan next year.

If they get into the above school it actually doesn't matter where you live, it's just the logistics of getting there.  But if they don't then they will need to go to another school in the area we want to live.  So I've got a feeling I'm going to have to enrol them with our current address as they start the following years work later this year.  We are talking years 9 and 11 so there is often a little bit more flexibility than years 7 and 8 but not always.

I'm also talking about moving several hours from where we are living now so aren't talking a couple of suburbs over, so that might make a difference.

#6 Octopodes

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

Choose a new house still in area if it means that much to you. I think it is dishonest to enrol him now and you are likely to be found out.

If the new owners of your house have school aged children enrolled at the same school as living at the same address, you will possibly be asked to leave the school.

#7 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

Check the school's enrollment policy on their website. If they are flexible, ok but if they do have a policy of you must leave if you move out of zone, don't even go there. Schools often hire private investigators to check living arrangements if they have to be so protective of their zone.
One of the Primary schools near me won't even let you sign up for a school tour if you weren't in their catchment.  They were a bit sneaky as they asked for your address to send out an info pack when you rang to book and no straight away if your address wasn't right.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

Surely you enrol now, then if you move out of area, deal with it when it happens.

#9 MrsMuzz82

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

Just be honest with the school. Tell them you’re selling and looking in the area but may not stay I’m the area. Start the process but if you move before school starts, let the school know. All it takes is a google search of your address to check if it’s been sold or rented out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Top 5 Viewed Articles

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.