Any sewing machine gurus?

11 replies to this topic

#1 warriorsfan

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:00 PM

DD has been making scrunchies all holidays from a variety of fabrics and elastic. Her sewing machine had been working fine (its brand new), however now the top thread keeps breaking after a stitch or two. We have replaced the thread, needle, new wound bobbin, tried it on different tensions, different stitches, different fabric with no success. Anything else we can try?

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

Brand new? I’d be taking it back to the store and get them to have a looksie. Where did you get it?

Do you have a good sewing machine or fabric shop near you? I have found the ladies there can be very good with what’s going wrong with it. Often you need to see what’s going on yourself.

It sounds like the tension is out, either top thread or even bottom, The tension is a delicate balancing act. What I do is set it and then put tape over the dials so they don’t move!

Edited by Lunafreya, 23 April 2019 - 05:09 PM.

#3 molinero

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

Are you using good quality thread? Cheaper ones can break when doing things like ruching or working with elastics.

If you've ruled out tension, your daughter might have better luck setting the machine to use a longer stitch rather than a shorter one.

Also - it can take a little while to get used to a new machine. Are you 100% certain you are re-threading the machine the right way each time you change something up? It's easy to go onto auto pilot and forget one step. e.g. if it's one of those machine styles where the top thread spool fits in horizontally rather than vertically, it's easy to accidentally let the thread run off the spool in the wrong direction. So I would triple confirm you are fitting the topthread spool in the right way.

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

That too. I always use good quality Guterman thread in my machines. You need to work out the various “kinks” when getting a new machine.

My first suggestion was going to be getting it serviced. But it’s NEW.

#5 Abernathy

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

Check the area in which the bobbin sits. That can get jammed up with fluff depending on the fabric and thread being used. That can jam up the machine and is easily cleaned.

#6 purplekitty

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

Is it threaded correctly?
I always rethread carefully when this happens to me,sometimes I've done something weird.

#7 foom

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

I always stitched with Gutermann on my old sewing machine but my current one seems to throw hissy fits and break it. Same with the really nice quilting threads - some it likes and some it eats. If I stick to Rasant I am fine.

Also check which way you are putting the spool on the top - some work better flipped 180deg due to the winding direction.

If you bought it from an small shop (rather than a shop like Spotlight) I'd take it back along with your fabric and see if it happens to them.

#8 warriorsfan

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

Thank you everyone, we will try those things. Mum bought it from spotlight and is coming to look at it once we are all better, the whole household is sick! I will get some different threads when I am well enough to go out.

#9 warriorsfan

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

Update : Its fixed! Had to run some other errands so popped into spotlight to purchase some of the threads mentioned. Thought I should buy some more needles too (and fabric!) the thread was still breaking until I changed the needle to a 80. Had been using a 90. Thanks for all your advice.

#10 Romeo Void

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

As an asside this video had me laughing sooo hard.  https://www.facebook...010887979105350

#11 warriorsfan

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

LOL that's very funny!

#12 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

Thank you RomeoVoid, it is good to start the day with a laugh.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.