Recommend an All in One Desktop

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jembo

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:09 PM

I am needing to replace my PC and am a little stuck as to what I should do.  I would like an all in one desktop to replace current tower (do not want a laptop).

Each shop I go to, tells me I need something different, for instance one told me I need at least 240 GB SSD another that 128G SDD will be fine. I dabble in some graphic design stuff (use photoshop elements) but it is not something I do every day, all day.  

For me anything I get will be an improvement on my very old and now slow PC.

Anyone have one they love?  Brands better than others. I like the look of the HP ones.  Where I live is Regional, so my choice is limited (ie one shop only stocks 1 all in one, the other 2 types).

#2 Caribou

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

I’d go Mac desktop especially for graphic design. It’s clean it’s neat. And while a change to PC, just much nicer handle once you get used to it.

Any pc can be bought online, and posted. don’t worry about where you are, find what you want specifically and order that than be limited to what’s in your area.

#3 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

We moved to an iMac years ago and have not looked back. Even my father who started with computers in the late 1960s and was a “PC man” for over 50 years fell in love with the iMac and would not go back to a PC again.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

iMac. Very happy with it.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

We use macs but the equivalent pc machines are half the price. And the last Mac I got was $2800 (that was WITH education discount) and it was slower than the one I was replacing from day one. They sure aren't as good as they used to be unless you modify it to contain the highest specs possible.

For pc I have only ever used HP. HP desktop computers and my work computer is an HP laptop. I'd recommend them if you were wanting to stay with pc and not pay the mac premium. We will probably stay with Mac for the family computer but dreading the price of the next upgrade.

Edited by SummerStar, 24 April 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

iMac. I considered going to a MacBook when we replaced ours last year, but I like the big screen.

#7 Nasty Poobah

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

I'm assuming you don't want a laptop because of screen size?

Something to consider might be a separate high quality screen and a laptop. This allows you to have dual screens which is really great when you're doing design work in particular and also incorporates portability when/if you need it.

I have an old but nice digital Dell monitor which plugged into my old Toshiba laptop and now do the same on the HP Pavilion which replaced it.  I run full strength photoshop as well as Scribus and it's great for both.

Sorry I can't tell you what the specs are off the top of my head but as it's over 12 months old it's a bit irrelevant anyway. What I did do when buying was to go for the setup with the most grunt for the money and I paid around $1600 from memory.

I don't think it'll have the shelf life of the old Toshy though, those were made to go on and on and on. I would happily have bought a new one if they were still making them. (I got around 9 years out of the old one before it started to look terminal with a 10 minute start up etc.)

#8 SummerStar

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

That's what I've done with my work laptop. Got a really good machine in a small 13" laptop with an external large monitor. I wasn't sure if I'd need to take my laptop out of the house but I haven't had to as yet but this works well for me.

#9 Jembo

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the additional ideas.  Yep I didn't really want a laptop because of screen, keyboard and mouse, so figured by time i had brought all of those, it was kind of pointless plus I just find I do not want to use it anywhere other than my desk.  We have one for my son, and if I ever use it I tend to put it on my desk, but will investigate it as an option, as I had not though too much about it.

I don't think I can do a mac.  We have them at work and I find them hard to use and just don't seem to have the patience I once did to learn it, am a bit stuck in my ways nowdays :).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.