Pedicure? Podiatrist?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Just Jack

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

I have cracked heels and some calluses on my feet. I've never had a pedicure, but i was thinking about getting one. When i Googled to find out a bit about pedicures and what they involve, i saw some info about funguses and foot spas etc that put me off a bit. Then i wondered if maybe a podiatrist was what i needed... though my issues are largely cosmetic...

Just wondering what other people's experiences have been with pedicures and/or podiatrists? I saw a topic about podiatrist a while back that got me thinking about my feet i think!

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

I was a bit surprised at that comment on a previous thread, about a pedicure at a podiatrist.   A pedicure would imply to me that a massage, toenail cutting, perhaps some light work on corns etc.    The only thing I've ever had done at maybe a dozen podiatrist appointments is the allied health care that most go to them for, never heard of anyone getting their feet massaged by one.

If podiatrists are regularly massaging feet, I'm going to the wrong ones!

#3 qak

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

I would see a podiatrist first, and get their advice on dealing with the calluses etc first. They will probably trim them down for you, and will be properly trained and sterilised etc.

I really wouldn't want a pedicurist to do that - just let them give you a foot/calf massage, scrub your feet and paint your nails!

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

Neither. Save your $$$. Just buy one of these: https://www.amcal.co...p-9319292204593
You can take care of it yourself! These things are AMAZING!

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

I’d start with a podiatrist, especially if you have extras health insurance. Then once your foot is in good shape go get them made pretty by a beautician.

#6 nicpow

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:54 AM

Podiatrist will cut your toenails and shave down your feet using sterilised equipment.

#7 #mocha

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn’t have a pedicure with cracked heels, for your and other clients safety. TBH they should decline you with cracks.

#8 Wango

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

If you live in Adelaide there is a company that does both (medipedi) you get the foot soak etc and then see the podiatrist to cut nails and get rid of calluses and thickened skin and then go back to the pedicure area and get the massage and toenail paint.    They are not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind if you are worried about sterilised equipment etc and if you have private health extras you get can claim the podiatrist portion.

#9 ali-song

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

FuzzyChocolateToes, on 25 April 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Neither. Save your $$$. Just buy one of these: https://www.amcal.co...p-9319292204593

Tell me more! How well do they work?

#10 Redhead43

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Oops, wrong thread. Post removed

Edited by Redhead43, 25 April 2019 - 12:46 PM.

#11 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

If you just want to get rid of the hardened and dry skin on your feet, I highly recommend milky foot. It’s so gross once the skin starts coming off (wear socks 24/7 during this time) but one application and a week or so later and you have super soft and nice looking feet. After that, regular foot lotion will keep your feet looking nice.

https://www.chemistw...AiABEgL5OPD_BwE

Side note, I’m not sure if you can use it on cracked skin, so you’ll have to look into it.

#12 Coffeegirl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

You can treat cracked heels at home with Eulactol cream (from any chemist).  https://www.chemistw...&gclsrc=aw.ds

Works wonders, and is cheap.   I just put it on at night.   Then have a heel file that I use in the shower in the morning to scrubb off the dead skin and soften the heel.

#13 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

View Postali-song, on 25 April 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Tell me more! How well do they work?
Very, very well indeed! I had some calluses on the balls of my feet - all gone.  I use it regularly on my heels too. I had one of those Scholl battery operated things and it was rubbish compared to this.

#14 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

I never got anywhere with Eulactol etc. podiatrist is great for calloused and cracked feet plus trims my toenails perfectly. If you have extras cover just do it. If not, probably still cheaper than a ‘pedicure’ though obviously quite different

#15 RichardParker

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:21 PM

How does anyone train as a podiatrist?  That would be my nightmare job.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 25 April 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

Very, very well indeed! I had some calluses on the balls of my feet - all gone.  I use it regularly on my heels too. I had one of those Scholl battery operated things and it was rubbish compared to this.
It does look intriguing! And it works you say? Is it single use?

#17 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostRichardParker, on 25 April 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

How does anyone train as a podiatrist?  That would be my nightmare job.

My podiatrist came out in a face mask and gloves just before my appointment. Made me gag just thinking about what he was doing. Thankfully I was just there for an injury. It’s an important job though, without functioning feet our quality of life is greatly reduced. Feet are important.

#18 1975ladybug

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

Podiatrist, I’m one of the people that got a fungal infection, I can tell you which salon, more than one method tried to get rid of it, 10 years later I still have it.

#19 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 25 April 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

It does look intriguing! And it works you say? Is it single use?
No, it lasts for a while. You use it wet so the bits you sand off get washed away. It's not even gross!

#20 Nepheline

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:20 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 25 April 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yes this!! I was actually recommended to use these by a podiatrist and they work brilliantly. Combined with some heel cream and in a week my heels a had gone from a thick, painful cracked mess to nice soft skin again. So good.

#21 Silver Girl

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

My podiatrist hates it when her patients say, “thanks for the pedicure!”. She says she didn’t go to university for years to do pedicures.

Having said that, I found the treatment she gave me, while clinical, quite pampering!

#22 Jenflea

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

I need to find that sponge thing. I have the battery powered Scholl roller thing and it's OK...

#23 Delillah1

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:31 PM

View PostJust Jack, on 25 April 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

I have cracked heels and some calluses on my feet. I've never had a pedicure, but i was thinking about getting one. When i Googled to find out a bit about pedicures and what they involve, i saw some info about funguses and foot spas etc that put me off a bit.

If you go to a trained beautician at a salon they charge more but they don't use the foot spas. They have a basin which gets properly sterilised between uses. They manually fill it and soak  your feet. All the equipment has been properly sterilised.  Just check. I find that at the cheap salons with the foot spas  I can never get a straight answer about their sterilisation practices.
Also, don't  be fooled by the places that have a plastic cover over the jets. The problem with spas is that the jets can't be properly sterilised so even with the covers the water goes through the jets!

#24 Just Jack

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

Thanks all. I think I'll give some of the chemist products a try first, and then a podiatrist if needed. Thanks for everyone's contributions ☺

#25 *Andi*

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

View PostDelillah1, on 26 April 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

If you go to a trained beautician at a salon they charge more but they don't use the foot spas. They have a basin which gets properly sterilised between uses. They manually fill it and soak  your feet. All the equipment has been properly sterilised.  Just check. I find that at the cheap salons with the foot spas  I can never get a straight answer about their sterilisation practices.
Also, don't  be fooled by the places that have a plastic cover over the jets. The problem with spas is that the jets can't be properly sterilised so even with the covers the water goes through the jets!

Strangely enough, I once picked up a foot fungus at a nice salon that a friend of mine worked at. The podiatrist had to cut my big toe nails away to get rid of it. I've had heaps of pedicures at cheap places over the years and never had any problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.