Does your air con run 24/7?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 JomoMum

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

Do you find it more effective that way?

Or do you just forget to turn it off?

Our rear neighbours have theirs on 24/7, and the damn thing clunks on and off every 15 seconds or so.

But they’ve just left to go overseas for 3 weeks, and we’ve returned from a night away today, and they’ve left it on!!! I’m 100% sure they’re gone because they told us they were leaving yesterday.

It’s so wasteful, being that they’re not home. But the noise irritates me even more!

Edited by JomoMum, 25 April 2019 - 01:17 PM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

No way.  I turn mine on to warm or cool the house and when the house is warm or cool I turn it off again.

Your neighbours are crazy.

#3 Apageintime

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Oh that would drive me crazy! We very rarely run ours at all.

Our neighbour's run theirs a bit and the noise is so loud.

I'd be tempted to switch their powers off at the mains if you could get access

#4 ~J_WTF~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

In summer we do, if we are home it is on and not just one, sometimes 3 or 4 are running!

When we lived down south, we run the heat pump (aircon) 24/7 for about 6 months of the year.

ETA all our neighbours do the same, so it’s never been something I have really thought about..

Just to clarify if we were away it was off but if we are only going out for an a couple of hours, we leave it on!

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 25 April 2019 - 03:17 PM.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

Nope. If you can hear it inside your house that’s actually illegal. Look up the EPA guidelines on air conditioners.

Noise is one of the reasons we try to turn ours off at night. It has to be above about 26 overnight for us to leave it on overnight. We have ceiling fans for night time.

#6 Gumbette

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

Who the hell can afford the electricity bill to run it 24/7?!

We only turn ours on when absolutely necessary - haven’t run it now for close to 2 months.  Necessary evil I know, but I hate that I’m contributing to climate change for my own comfort.  It would drive me crazy listening to your neighbors system wasting so much energy for no benefit.

#7 Lesley225

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:46 PM

Only ever for 2-3 days over christmas when it was at it's hottest and I was at home on holidays.

I live on average so no one can hear aircons.

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

Hell no. I’d hate to see the power bills.

#9 maryanneK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

no way!! Occasionally during heatwaves we'll set the timer, so that it runs until about midnight so we can get to sleep, then things stay cool enough overnight, then set it to start at 6am or something.

But usually, only when we need it an as little as possible

#10 laridae

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

No way. We only use air conditioning when we need it, and only use it in the one room, not the entire house.
If they are definitely away I'd be tempted to switch the power off at their meter box (if you can access it) and then turn it back on. Should be enough to turn the airconditioning off but keep everything else running.

Edited by laridae, 27 April 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#11 Mollycoddle

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 25 April 2019 - 01:38 PM, said:

Nope. If you can hear it inside your house that’s actually illegal. Look up the EPA guidelines on air conditioners.

Noise is one of the reasons we try to turn ours off at night. It has to be above about 26 overnight for us to leave it on overnight. We have ceiling fans for night time.

Above 26 overnight? Mine doesn't even go on during the day unless it's at least low 30s!

#12 kimasa

No way. I can't imagine how expensive that would be.

#13 PrincessPeach

View PostGumbette, on 25 April 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Who the hell can afford the electricity bill to run it 24/7?!

We only turn ours on when absolutely necessary - haven’t run it now for close to 2 months.  Necessary evil I know, but I hate that I’m contributing to climate change for my own comfort.  It would drive me crazy listening to your neighbors system wasting so much energy for no benefit.

Those were my exact same thoughts!

Ours only get used when it's stinking hot or in winter when the asthmatic is really sick (I set it to turn on in the early hours of the morning when he is at his worst).

#14 Mollycoddle

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

View Postlaridae, on 25 April 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

No way. We only use air conditioning when we need it, and only use it in the one room, not the entire house.
If they are definitely away I'd be switching the power off at their meter box (if you can access it) and then turn it back on. Should be enough to turn the airconditioning off but keep everything else running.

If you're lucky there'll even be a separate switch for the aircon, our box has this (ducted).

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:56 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 25 April 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Above 26 overnight? Mine doesn't even go on during the day unless it's at least low 30s!

I meant an overnight minimum. I’m in Melbourne, an overnight low of 26 or above is pretty rare, maybe 3 times a year in summer. And the daily peak would be close to 40. So we very rarely have it on overnight.

View PostMollycoddle, on 25 April 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

If you're lucky there'll even be a separate switch for the aircon, our box has this (ducted).

It’s likely there will be an outside switch near the outside unit. So easily turned off.

#16 jayskette

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

the longest I had to run it was a whole weekend during a long heatwave whilst we were on holidays, only my pets were inside. So, if my neighbours decided that theu can just come over and switch off my mains, they can pay for all damages associated with dead or distressed pets.

#17 Gumbette

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:01 PM

Flip it off OP and maybe turn it back on the day before they get home if you don’t want to have to speak to them about it.  The climate will thank you.

#18 Lesley225

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostmaryanneK, on 25 April 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

no way!! Occasionally during heatwaves we'll set the timer, so that it runs until about midnight so we can get to sleep, then things stay cool enough overnight, then set it to start at 6am or something.

But usually, only when we need it an as little as possible

I usually have it on when it gets to about 28 inside which was most days this summer but I'll generally just run it 2-3 hours overnight on a timer to get through the night.

There was only a couple of time it got really bad - was over 30 at night and i figured it was cheaper to keep it at a constant temp than have to keep getting the temp down from a high.

#19 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

No, ours is only on when we are home and if it’s actually needed (about 33+ outside).

I do wish ours was programmable so we could set it to come on a little bit before we get home (so the house is cool for us) and turn it off we we leave in the morning (because we sometime forget). The same with the heating system.

#20 Gumbette

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

We have it automatically turn on at 5.00 am in Winter then off again at 7.30 am when we all leave the house - mind boggles at how many times we would have to double back if we didn’t have the timer function.  

#21 Jersey Caramel

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:22 PM

Sometimes during summer I leave the aircon on (at a fairly high temp,  eg 26C) during the day even when we're out as that is when our solar panels are producing energy,  so it is cheaper/greener to do this than to have to crank it to get the inside temp down from 35C when we get home.

But for 3 weeks?! That is crazy.

#22 polythene

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

What a waste of electricity. We only turn ours on when it's hot enough to warrant it. This summer just past was really hot a lot of the time so we did use it quite a bit.

I understand this is not the norm in some other places, however.  We visited friends in Texas a few years ago, and they said most people leave their air conditiioning on all year round, even when they go away.  And nearly everyone uses tumble dryers for all their washing, even though they have plenty of sun. Our friends (Australian born) were thought odd for using a clothesline!   It was weird because it wasn't the tropics or the desert where you'd need air conditioning on all the time. It just seems like an appalling waste of electricity to me.

#23 laridae

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

View Postjayskette, on 25 April 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

the longest I had to run it was a whole weekend during a long heatwave whilst we were on holidays, only my pets were inside. So, if my neighbours decided that theu can just come over and switch off my mains, they can pay for all damages associated with dead or distressed pets.

You're pretty lucky there wasn't a power outage in that case.
OP said they were going away for 3 weeks. I'd expect they aren't leaving pets there or they would have someone checking on them regularly.

#24 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

Nope.

On really hot days during Summer, I'll put the air-con (ducted) on reasonably early, 7.30-8 am as it is more efficient and cheaper to cool the house down a couple of degrees than try to cool a hot house down by 10 degrees.

The air-con motor will be going for about 5 minutes every 30 minutes or so once the house has cooled down to 24 degrees.

Air-con is turned off by 10pm-ish and if outside temp is still above 24 degrees, we keep the house shut up to retain the cool air.  If the overnight low is forecast to be lower than 24 we open the windows.

#25 Coffeegirl

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

We run our AC pretty heavy but even we wouldn’t leave it on for 3 weeks while we were away on holiday and it’s never on if we aren’t home

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.