Cats seem to be losing control of their bowels :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flowermama

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

Sorry if it's a TMI post but I know there are some animal experts on here! We have two Burmese cats, 12 years old. They seem to be having issues with their bowels - in addition to loose stools, they're not always making it to their litter box in time. We've had a couple of accidents inside and quite a few in their cat run where the litter box is, as if they couldn't make it in time. I've taken them to the vet who wasn't a lot of help, she suggested it could be behavioural and that they're trying to tell us something which frankly I think is ridiculous. I've booked them in with a different vet but thought I'd ask here for any thoughts as to what could be causing it. We haven't changed their diets at all. TIA :)

#2 MarciaB

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Is it both of them?

Although the diet is the same, is there anything else that has changed?  Water? Grass (or other plants) in run?  Any indoor plants (or cut flowers) they can chew or get to?

Can you try just giving them cooked chicken (no skin) and rice for 24 hours and see how that goes?  Maybe check with vet first.

It seems odd to have both at same time if it is a medical issue.

Good luck!

#3 flowermama

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

No, nothing has changed - they’re indoor cats with access to an outside cat run. It’s hard to know for sure as we’ve never actually seen it happen. Initially we thought it was one cat but yesterday it happened after the other cat had headed out to the run so we’re really not sure if it’s one or both! Unfortunately they’re very fussy and won’t eat cooked chicken and rice.

#4 *Spikey*

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

Offer them chicken and rice (the two should be cooked together so the rice is chicken flavoured). Even if they don't eat it, it will give their tummies a rest.

If it's both of them, its probably something they've eaten. It cold be a lizard, it could be a plant, it could be a cold dead pea from under a cupboard. it could be scouring from being wormed (my previous cat was very sensitive to worming products).

Make sure they have plenty of fresh water and get them to the other vet asap.

There are drugs they can give you to help 'solidify' the poop and stop the run factor.

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

I don’t think 12 is crazy old for a Burmese.  

Don’t discount the “telling you something” theory. Out girl cat started seeing in the gas hob (yuck) and it was a UTI.   Boy cat tries to poo in any open suitcase.  

Try getting a bunch more litter trays and keeping them super clean and see if that makes a difference.  

#6 flowermama

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

It’s been going on for around a month (but sporadically) so I don’t think it’s something they’ve eaten. I’ve booked them in with a different vet for next week, hopefully they can shed some light! What’s the best way of cooking chicken and rice together? I’ll give it a try (I cooked it separately, maybe that’s why they weren’t interested!). We clean their litter tray every day and they have water all over the house. I don’t think it’s behavioural as whenever they miss the tray it’s loose, never fully formed so it seems to me that they just don’t get there in time. As I type this my boy is purring like crazy and meowing at me for more pats 😀

#7 *Spikey*

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

I usually chop the chicken into smaller chunks that will cook through in about 15 minutes or so, then put them into the rice cooker, with the rice and water as normal the chicken should be at the bottom to get the best cooking and flavour into water. If you are doing it in a pot, its not 'boiled' rice, i use absorption method - where you bring the water (which covers the rice with about 1cm extra) to a boil, then cover and reduce heat until all of the water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes in. It has what looks like pot holes from the steam escaping when it's eventually done - the steam is the thing which cooks the rice.

#8 MarciaB

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:42 PM

I microwave chicken breast in a little water until just cooked through then mix chicken and liquid through the rice (which I cook separately).

My old cat (who died at age 23) wasn't a huge fan but would pick at it.  She used to get the runs from time to time in her later years (she was a champion lizard and cockroach catcher and I suspect that was the cause) - and I would give her this for 24 hours and it used to settle her tummy.

My 2 dogs also get a bit of diarreah from worm medication or Bravecto for a day or two and I will give them the chicken/rice mix for a meal - they love it though!.

But yes - get them to the vet to get checked out.

Edited by MarciaB, 26 April 2019 - 12:43 PM.

#9 flowermama

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Update - second vet wasn't a lot of help. He suggested we try a different type of biscuit (they wouldn't touch the chicken) but that hasn't helped. I've had another vet recommended so will try her next! Thanks for all the advice :)

#10 steppy

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

It might just be that they're older and the diet is getting too rich. I don't know if that happens to cats but sometimes dogs can start not processing rich foods so well.

Also the brand you are using may have started adding something?

Edited by steppy, 09 May 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#11 imme

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

Have they been wormed recently?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.