Sudden drying up.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

My 11 week old daughter is fed pumped milk plus formula. I take motilium and herbs to increase my supply. I don't breastfeed directly because of latching issues. I note down how much I produce each pump and it's usually the same. Then the last day or two the milk has gone down drastically. I put the pump and it pumps and pumps and nothing comes out? Like nothing. Eventually towards the end a few drops will drip but that's it? .Why? I can understand a gradual decline in supply but literally overnight? My husband said it could be due to the heatwave we are having. So, I drowned myself in water. It got better for one pump, then it went back again.
Has anyone been through this and can advice me? If this continues, I will have nothing in a few days.

#2 lucky 2

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

I'm sorry to hear your expressed volumes have suddenly dropped.
Has anything changed recently, ie new medication, period returned?
Have you changed the chair you sit in?
I think you have done all the right things, ie increase fluids.
Have you felt a usual level of fullness but the milk didn't flow out?
I'm wondering if some gentle breast massage prior to pumping, someone could give you a gentle shoulder massage  whilst you pump, maybe lean forward a bit so your nipple/areola full the breast shield fully.
It sounds like the change is to do with milk let down rather than milk production, but you are right, the supply will go down if milk isn't removed.

#3 Minnie80

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

Well, my breasts do feel less full. But,  I haven't changed anything at all. I can't think of any reason why this is happening.

#4 premmie

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Could you be getting your first period after baby?

#5 Minnie80

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:41 PM

I had postnatal bleeding until 8/9 weeks. Wouldn't it be too early to have a period so soon after?

#6 cabbage88

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

I got to the point where I couldn't get a let down on my pump- this time I'm looking at a pump that's hospital grade and causes let down better than what i had.  If you're getting nothing- it's probably a let down issue, because that's a pretty sudden drop.
But bear in mind it's hard to keep supply up on a pump. I couldn't do it, nothing got the milk out like a baby does. Motilium can only do so much. I know many women do but my breasts just don't go well on a pump! Maybe it was just my pump though.
Also try hand expressing as you pump- this often worked for me.

#7 cabbage88

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:22 PM

Also... My milk totally disappeared when I got pregnant! Took me a while to figure that one out haha

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Same happened to my SIL.... her milk suddenly dried up because she was pregnant.

#9 lucky 2

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Yes you can get your period this early, mine returned at 7.5 weeks when my baby was exclusively bf.

#10 Beanette

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

Do any parts on your pump need replacing? If you're using a Spectra / Medela pump the membranes need to be replaced about every 4 weeks if you're expressing more than once a day.

If the membranes are getting old they don't give good suction and it can be very hard to get a letdown, or a good volume, from the pump.

I would try some new membranes and see if that makes a difference. When I first started pumping I didn't know that they needed to be replaced so often, so I had a similar experience. When I switched them over it was a huge difference, night and day.

#11 Minnie80

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

I drank 5 litres of water today and the milk started coming again. I am relieved! But that's way too much water for me.

#12 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

I need to drink so much water when breastfeeding in the early months, like double, and if it’s been hotter than usual where you are, you will need to drink even more.

#13 Caribou

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Have a drink of water with breakfast, lunch and dinner. And every time you’re pumping have some water. I get 5 litres will make you feel a bit ick, but if you can intergrate it into main meal days and in between saggering it out can help.

#14 Lallalla

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

What about your eating habits? Have they changed? When I was feeding my twins maintaining supply was a constant battle and I found if I even went a day without lactation cookies (multiple cookies) my supply would distinctly drop.

Also I think early on when I was pumping to increase supply a MCHN suggested i look at the baby/ies while pumping to help with the let down. I’m not sure how much that helped though

#15 Pink Flamingo

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

My supply definitely dropped off when my period returned. It always went back to normal after a few days but certainly my supply dropped the first few days of each cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.