My 16 year old cat has cancer

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Froyo

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

It's been just over a year since we had to put down our other elderly cat, and now this one has been diagnosed with cancer. He's been with me for so long, since before I met my husband. We both dote on him and I don't know how we're going to be able to say goodbye when it gets to that point.

#2 BECZ

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

huge hugs.

So sorry you received such bed news.

#3 lazycritter

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

I'm so sorry. Nothing I can say will make it better. Just make sure you have heaps of photos to remember him. X

#4 *Spikey*

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

So sorry, spoil kitty rotten while you can.

#5 Future-self

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

I am so sorry Froyo. It’s  so hard when our little family members have to go

#6 Renovators delight

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

I am so very sorry :(

#7 kadoodle

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

I’m so sorry, you must be devastated.

#8 More cheese Gromit

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

I’m so sorry, that is devastating news.

I faced the same situation last year, and my beautiful girl.

It’s truly heartbreaking

Xo

#9 Mamabug

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

I am so sorry. We have just said goodbye to a 13yo hound with liver cancer.

Grieve your loss, remember the good times and love.

#10 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

I'm so sorry. That's terrible news to take in.

#11 Silver Girl

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

So sorry you have to face the loss of another little companion.

#12 Chicken Pie

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:37 AM

In so very sorry

#13 Anon wife

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

I'm so sorry too, so so unfair!

#14 Ellie bean

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

I’m really sorry Froyo. I recently had to say goodbye to my dog who I had for years before I met my husband, it’s horrible, I really feel for you x

#15 Chelli

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:27 AM

That's so sad, and I'm sorry to hear it. Take lots of pictures and be kind to yourself.

Take care

#16 lozoodle

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

I'm so sorry :(

Its awful. I'm going through this with my dog at the moment.

#17 Froyo

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Tonight has been awful, he seems miserable and distressed. I can't see him go on like this.

#18 imme

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

Oh, I'm so very sorry.  It's such a very difficult time, especially when they've been a part of your life for so long  :(

I had to let my best friend of almost 17 years go last year, 5 days after my baby was born.  It was so incredibly difficult, at such a huge time in my life as well... but he was tired and he was ready.  He had fought the good fight for 7 years past his diagnosis, an incredible effort that amazed his vet time and time again.

I knew his time was probably coming just 2 weeks before my daughter was born.  He had a bad turn late one night and we rushed him to the vet thinking we would have to say goodbye then and there.  I asked him to hold on, to meet my daughter... and I asked my daughter to make sure she was born before he had to leave... and they both came through for me, for which I'm incredibly thankful.

If you can, have some photos taken of you both together.  Even though it's so hard to do right now when you know what is coming you will be thankful for them later.  Say everything you want to say and give all the pats, cuddles and chin scritches.  Feed him his favourite food if he is up to eating and sit quietly together to help him calm.

Thinking of you both tonight.

Edited by imme, 11 May 2019 - 10:27 PM.

#19 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:26 PM

I’m so sorry. My fur boy got kidney disease and we found out a few days before Christmas last year. I was in such shock because I was so used to blood tests showing nothing. Even on the special food he went downhill and within a few months he started to show signs of it worsening. One morning I just knew. It broke me. I had him with my husband but I had gotten him to help me as a family pet had passed and I wasn’t coping. He had been through everything with me. He was the one I turned to.

#20 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:34 PM

Oh no, terrible time for you Froyo

#21 Ellie bean

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:27 AM

I’m sorry froyo. It really really sucks :(

#22 taters

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:39 AM

Im so sorry. The loss of a pet is so devastating. Xoxo

#23 *Spikey*

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

So sorry Froyo, if he is distressed, then it is time. hugs.

#24 Froyo

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Thank you. The vet did an assessment and he is indeed deteriorating rapidly. He's being PTS at 4.30 this afternoon.

#25 *Spikey*

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

hugs, it's so hard to give them their wings, but it's the ultimate expression of selfless love for animals that trust us. xxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.