Weight Loss Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
1082 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

Hi All,

Some of you may remember I posted on how weight loss can be such a lonely journey, I was wondering if anyone wanted to join here and support each other?

It doesn't matter what weight loss plan you're following, For me I'm going with monitoring my calorie intake and low carb due to borderline insulin resistance.

I started this Journey in December 2018 and have lost 8 kilos so far.

#2 76 others

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Wow 8 kilos is amazing! Congratulations.

I'm in for this thread. I have no interest n doing any fad diets because I won't stick. I just want to cut down on my crap snacking, evening sugary drinks, better meal choices and move more.

#3 ~J_WTF~

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Silver.

I’m in.

I am shopping for a new watch tracker right right now. It’s going to be my mother’s day present!

#4 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

View Post76 others, on 06 May 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

Wow 8 kilos is amazing! Congratulations.

I'm in for this thread. I have no interest n doing any fad diets because I won't stick. I just want to cut down on my crap snacking, evening sugary drinks, better meal choices and move more.

That's pretty much me. I was taking DD to school by train and bus, and all those waiting times I'd find myself in a cafe near the stop and get a coffee and food and it really added up. Since DD now catches the bus, I was able to break habit, though it was hard for the first few weeks.

I do agree fad diets don't really have a place, they're ok for short term goals, but long term it needs to be sustainable. I've only got this far not using any fad diet and just watching what I eat. But gosh, it's slow. So slow. It can be hard when you don't see the scales move enough some weeks.

View Post~J_WTF~, on 06 May 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

Silver.

I’m in.

I am shopping for a new watch tracker right right now. It’s going to be my mother’s day present!

I hinted at DH I'd like a new Apple Watch (I have the first gen on) a mysterious apple purchase has turned up on our CC bill :whistle:

#5 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Great idea. I have to get a fair bit of before surgery but have a half marathon to complete first

#6 ERipley

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

I’m in! I started my diet yesterday, just calorie counting, and I’ve supposedly lost 0.6kg already. 😂 I’m pretty sure it’s not a real loss but I will celebrate anyway.

I’m just trying to replace daily cheese sandwich lunch with vegetables, and daily pasta dinner with mostly vegetables. Cut back on the booze (I usually have 1 glass in the evening) and stop snacking. It sounds so easy written down...

#7 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostERipley, on 06 May 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

I’m in! I started my diet yesterday, just calorie counting, and I’ve supposedly lost 0.6kg already. 😂 I’m pretty sure it’s not a real loss but I will celebrate anyway.

I’m just trying to replace daily cheese sandwich lunch with vegetables, and daily pasta dinner with mostly vegetables. Cut back on the booze (I usually have 1 glass in the evening) and stop snacking. It sounds so easy written down...

Yay on 0.6!  It’s still a win :D
M
I cut booze out for a month. I felt great slept great. But gosh I missed the ‘wind down’ effect I got from it. It was a relaxant for me. I’ve brought it back, but it’s restricted to weekend use. We buy a nice bootle and that lasts two days between dH and I (a glass per night)

Sandwiches are yum. The look healthy too, but the cheese and butter calories!

Would toasted wraps help? Seeing it’s winter? I’d get a salad mix (like rainbow coleslaw pack) and some ranch dressing and put it in the sandwich press on cold days.

#8 2_little_boys

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

I'm in.  I'm doing the CSIRO diet at the moment but it is all normal foods.  Just retraining my brain.

I'm 1 week down and 4.3kgs down in that week.  Probably all water weight but down is down ;)

#9 ERipley

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

View PostCaribou, on 06 May 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Yay on 0.6!  It’s still a win :D
M
I cut booze out for a month. I felt great slept great. But gosh I missed the ‘wind down’ effect I got from it. It was a relaxant for me. I’ve brought it back, but it’s restricted to weekend use. We buy a nice bootle and that lasts two days between dH and I (a glass per night)

Sandwiches are yum. The look healthy too, but the cheese and butter calories!

Would toasted wraps help? Seeing it’s winter? I’d get a salad mix (like rainbow coleslaw pack) and some ranch dressing and put it in the sandwich press on cold days.

Those wraps sound nice! I need a sandwich press. I will try it some time. Maybe in a pan?

#10 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

A pan will work just as well Posted Image

my lunches tend to be the same thing everyday until the next grocery shop. Otherwise it gets too expensive!

Same thing with breakfast. a lot of those weight loss plans seem to expect you to change up breakfast daily, and i just cant see how that is a time saver or helpful. only thing that changes up regularly is dinner. Dinner is always something the whole family can eat. Can't be a*sed to do one for me and one for them. time? what time? :lol:

Edited by Caribou, 06 May 2019 - 02:31 PM.

#11 76 others

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

Has anyone tried breakfast burritos that you freeze? I can't eat as soo  as I wake up and usually chuck some toast in when I get to work but I'm snacking by 10am. I am going to make fritata loaded with veg too and porridge which I hate.

This burrito is 263 calories and I think will fill me up a lot and not feel like a diet. https://www.skinnyta...kfast-burritos/
I can put it on the sandwich press when I get to work.

#12 Odd-1-Out

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

I would like to join. I have lost 40 odd kilos and just want to go down one more dress size. I wont be weighing myself just going to go by a pair of jeans I want to fit in.

#13 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostOdd-1-Out, on 06 May 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

I would like to join. I have lost 40 odd kilos and just want to go down one more dress size. I wont be weighing myself just going to go by a pair of jeans I want to fit in.

40 kilos is incredible! well done! How long did that take if you don't mind me asking?

are you doing any fitness? ive been told by many people pilates is a great way to drop a dress size as it tones everything up. Never tried it myself. none of the pilates class allow kids!

#14 Beancat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

I would like to join too

I have lost 4.5kg since Feb.  slow going.  It was 6.4 but I've had a really bad month.  Back on track now and trying to really focus on a sustained effort for the next month

I have a lot to lose  - about another 18 kg

I tried MB 12WBT but its too hard.  Too much wasted food and money, the recipes take too long to prepare and to much exercise

So I am returning to what works for me
1500 calories a day
Exercise for min 30 minutes x5 times a week
Alcohol only on Fridays and Saturdays, if at all

if I stick to 1500 calories I can eat what I like and still lose weight

Some ideas of what peoples typical day looks like on plate would be helpful.

Mine looks like this
B: 3 WB with light milk and fruit
MT: skinny latte (small)
L: zucchini slice with carrot sticks and homus, maybe a yoghurt too.  Sometimes I opt for a sandwhich or wrap or low cal homemade soup and ryvitas or a small whole grain roll
AF: banana or pkt of vegie chips
D: Protein, heaps of veg and small amount of carb

#15 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

View Post76 others, on 06 May 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Has anyone tried breakfast burritos that you freeze? I can't eat as soo  as I wake up and usually chuck some toast in when I get to work but I'm snacking by 10am. I am going to make fritata loaded with veg too and porridge which I hate.

This burrito is 263 calories and I think will fill me up a lot and not feel like a diet. https://www.skinnyta...kfast-burritos/
I can put it on the sandwich press when I get to work.

I haven't tried it, but Know what you mean, i'm usually hungry by 10am too. but it's been less of an issue for me as i just get a snack that will ride me until lunchtime. i think it's about looking for something to create the feeling of being fuller for longer. like chicken (protein) helps you feel fuller for longer. egg is also full of protein and will keep you full for longer too. Can't hurt to give it a try! I did a massive freezer cook up on sunday so getting food when hungry is really quick and easy when i can get it from freezer.

#16 Beancat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostCaribou, on 06 May 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

40 kilos is incredible! well done! How long did that take if you don't mind me asking?

are you doing any fitness? ive been told by many people pilates is a great way to drop a dress size as it tones everything up. Never tried it myself. none of the pilates class allow kids!

Pilates is fantastic
yes it tones but it is great for stress release, flexibility and just everyday movement and balance - ie I can now sit on the floor on my knees comfortably, or squat like a toddler and get up off the floor without using my hands

#17 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

bearcat, you're right 12wbt is hard 1200 is like nope. I get it works for some, but not me!, i find the 1400-1500 much easier. I don't over eat there.  

I use 12wbt for the workouts cos they're good and i feel achievable with a mix of cardio, strength and core. but not the food. the food ls too time consuming. i have been just using taste website.

Since i don't use a gym, I just take the cost of 12wbt as if i was using a gym. Won't be resigning up next time, but downloaded the PDF versions of the workouts so when i have time i can do some of them.

#18 76 others

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

I didn't even think of weetbix lol. Thanks beancat. I'll put breakfast burritos ingredients down for next shopping day. But at least I can mix it up now.

Tomorrow I will have 2 weetbix with a banana and Liddell milk (can't have milk).
Chicken and veg soup for lunch.
2 boiled eggs for snacks.
Haven't decided dinner. But that sounds like enough food to get me through the day?

Edited by 76 others, 06 May 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#19 76 others

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

I know a few people have mentioned my fitness pal, and I have looked at that before but I have a samsung galaxy watch and it has the Samsung health app with the food and looks like the same format as my fitness pal but it syncs up. Anyone else using that?

#20 Caribou

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

View Post76 others, on 06 May 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

I know a few people have mentioned my fitness pal, and I have looked at that before but I have a samsung galaxy watch and it has the Samsung health app with the food and looks like the same format as my fitness pal but it syncs up. Anyone else using that?

I have apple watch, and it syncs workouts with MFP. I use both. Apple doesn't really track food I don't think, thats' where MFP has been handy for me.

#21 Odd-1-Out

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostCaribou, on 06 May 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

It took me about 5 years because I would stop and start and had a suprise pregnancy in between! Not much exercise yet so I need to work on that part lol.

#22 Rainyeyes

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm in, I started about a month ago just watching calories and walk more. Things have been going well and I am down about 2.5kg. I have 17kg to go.

For breakfast I have plain oats with milk and small bit of real maple syrup and a coffee. I have had this everyday though for about the past 5 years even when I'm no watching my eating.I love it and I find I am full time lunch

#23 Oriental lily

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone !

I might join !

Bit of a back story .

Been a yo yo dieter all my life ( well since about 16!)

Currently 42 years old .

Had my fifth and last baby about 15 months ago .

Nearly three years ago I went on Zoloft antidepressants for anxiety . Amazingly all my compulsions to binge left me and I successfully lost over 30 kg .

Then a little later I found out to my surprise ( and horror) I was pregnant with a very oopsie baby .

Went of Zoloft during the pregnancy and gained back all my weight .

When I went back on Zoloft after my gorgeous baby was born to my disappointment it didint have the great effect on curbing my compulsion to binge like the first time .

So here I am over a year later still at my post baby weight needing lose a little of 30 kg .

I am going to USA in October and wanting to lose at 15kg by then .

Currently been following a calorie controlled diet of 1200 calories since last Thursday .

Stats are

Age 42
Height 158cm
Weight 91 kg

Goal weight 58 kg .

#24 Beancat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

View Post76 others, on 06 May 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I didn't even think of weetbix lol. Thanks beancat. I'll put breakfast burritos ingredients down for next shopping day. But at least I can mix it up now.

Tomorrow I will have 2 weetbix with a banana and Liddell milk (can't have milk).
Chicken and veg soup for lunch.
2 boiled eggs for snacks.
Haven't decided dinner. But that sounds like enough food to get me through the day?

Maybe a small amount of carb at lunch like 2 or 3 ryvitas. There’s not many calories in chick and veg soup

#25 76 others

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

View PostBeancat, on 06 May 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

Maybe a small amount of carb at lunch like 2 or 3 ryvitas. There’s not many calories in chick and veg soup

2 slices of bread with the soup? Love bread with soup

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 1 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.